My Conversation with A Merit Rep Regarding 1/18th Scale

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

My Conversation with A Merit Rep Regarding 1/18th Scale

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:46 pm

He Guys ,

I had about an half hour talk today with Merit's Overseas Representative.

He was very enlightening.

1. Harrier Jump Jet

It will be out in May . June the latest
Cost $240
Reason delayed- they remade over 45 % of it . Two of the problems were with the canopy and landing gear . The canopy was shaped wrong and the landing gear could not operate with the weapons pylon in place.

2. Fw-190
He gave me an around time of the year for debut but did not want me to disclose this info. But he did say that it will be this year !!
There will be about 6 colour schemes and he has chosen one of the schemes.

The Hitlergate did pizz them off but they are over it now and we had a few jokes about it !!!

3. Me-163

He said that he has seen the prototype and Pegasis will be moving on it, but their Sci Fi line is going over big and they do not have to push it at this time .

4. 1/18th scale vs 1/16 scale armor .

Europeans are REALLY into 1/16 armor so much so that they have basically abandon 1/18th scale and will not be doing it any more.

5. A-10

The sales of the Harrier will decide the fate of Merit making the A-10 . If it does not do well the A-10 will not be in the cards.

6. Mi-24 Hind

Merit has no interest in making the Hind

7. P-38 Marge

This is Richard Bong's steed. he was America's leading Ace with 40 ( ? ) confirmed kills.

This is planned for the future.

I had asked him what are collectors collecting around the world.

The Chineses are really into 1/18 scale AMERICAN jets and they are not to interested in the Mig-13 go figure.

Russian are into everything except 1/18th scale .

I talked to him about my idea on the A-10 and he is going to give me hard numbers in a week or so.

He said that I was not far off of my numbers.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

YT

Re: My Conversation with A Merit Rep Regarding 1/18th Scale

Post by YT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Great information thanks for sharing. I was really hoping for a lower price point on that Harrier.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:54 pm

This is great news! The price point is a little high but I am definitely a player for one. I hope they come out with multiple paint schemes. I would like to pick up a couple. Thanks for the intel Pickle.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Matthew, thanks very much for the intel!
We've been hoping and speculating about some of these projects for years.
I'm very disappointed to hear about the 1:18 scale armor being dropped.

I'm glad that Pegasus at least has a prototype of the ME 163 Komet. I can't
speak for others, but I've always thought that it would fit in very well with their
V-1 kit.

Well time will tell, lets see what Merit does with some of these other project

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 am

Thanks Matthew!! Now what was so tough about that? They could have given out at least some of that info a while back and avoided Hitler's rant.

I hope you let them know that the Fuhrer does not accept delays or retreats and they still may suffer his wrath if the battle time table isn't met. 8)

I'm not into jets enough to go $240 :o Doesn't bode well for the FW-190 price.

If the P-38 is just a repaint instead of a fix of all the horrible 21st C. P-38 issues, it will be a waste at any price. :|

Sounds like the MiG repaints were a bust :roll: as many of us predicted but I do understand their hopes for Russian and Chinese buyers. That marketing strategy should have worked. :?

Time will tell how it all pans out. Sounds like no FW-190 any time soon. :(

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:40 am

He did say that the Fw-190 would be this year !!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:03 am

pickelhaube wrote:He did say that the Fw-190 would be this year !!

Seem to remember it being predicted for November of last year too...

Guess that's why they are so reluctant to commit to a time line. Got to keep Hitler off their backs. :P

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:34 am

[quote=

If the P-38 is just a repaint instead of a fix of all the horrible 21st C. P-38 issues, it will be a waste at any price. :|

:([/quote]

For those of us that don't already have one, can you enlighten us as to what are the "horrible 21st C. P-38 Issues" ?, or is there a thread discussing this ?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Snake Man wrote:[quote=

:(
For those of us that don't already have one, can you enlighten us as to what are the "horrible 21st C. P-38 Issues" ?, or is there a thread discussing this ?[/quote]

When I first got one I kept saying to myself what is wrong with this thing? Why doesn't it look right? So I started comparing to actual photos and it then was obvious.

- The landing gear is the worst. Not an issue if you diplsy yours in flight but if you don't....

The gear isn't even in the right places. The nose gear is way too far aft and the main gear is not where it belongs in relation to the plane. It too is too far aft. No doubt these errors were for the sake of both the plane standing on the tricycle gear and for toy retraction ability. The wheels and tires on the mains should be noticebly much larger than the nose gear but are nearly the same.

Imagine a P-51 model with the main gear mounted back in the middle of the wing instead of near the leading edge and the tail wheel up under the radiator or way back just ahead of the rudder.

The engine cowls are shaped wrong. They should taper down at the top towards the spinner which is too high. The radiator intake is too large and reminds me of mr. green :mrgreen: . The canopy/cockpit area is too large and sits too high, much like their P-40B/C. Doubtless to get the pilot in and out.

The plan view is actually excellent. The side and front views betray the fine lines with a clunky slumping look instead of the swooping sleek bird it was. The booms should taper up on the bottom from front to back but are rather straight and add to the slumpy look. Then there are the thick and squared off leading edges of the twin verticle stablizers which are overall too small. The elevator balance weights would scale up to about twice the size of an NFL football...fully inflated that is.

Some of this can be corrected or ignored but some of it is way beyond a scale model. The nice paint jobs are lipstick on the pig.

21st C P-38. Compare to the real deal.

Note the position of the gear in relation to the gear doors and wing and nose compared to the model. And the way too small main whells and tires.

The sleek side view the model doesn't have.

Note the tapered cowl tops and lower sitting cockpit area on this 1/48 scale model.

A 21st C. P-38 with the high sitting cockpit and the flat top to the cowling with the spinners sitting too high. The nose wheel should be closer to the red/olive seperation line on the nose than where it is now. We're not splitting hairs or talking millimeters. This is off by close to 2 inches :!: The mains should be nearer to the main spar of the wing, not back by the flaps.

These are just my opinions. Please do your own research and draw your own conclusions. These things may not be important to some.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Very disappointed in their 1/18th armor stance: "they have basically abandon 1/18th scale and will not be doing it any more."

Well then it was fun while it lasted ... even if they change their minds tomorrow, it would be YEARS before they would be able to bring anything to market. Well at least I know that I will never have to spend with them since aircraft have never really been my point of interest. So looks like it's nothing but customs for me from here on out. Thanks for the info Pickle.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:52 am

Axis Nightmare wrote:
Snake Man wrote:[quote=

:(

These are just my opinions. Please do your own research and draw your own conclusions. These things may not be important to some.
Thanks for the info !! Perhaps we need a thread critiquing all of the 21st creations. Not to discourage folks from buying them, but to help people to understand what issues they have as opposed to true scale models. However, I still like 'em !!!

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:33 am

I bought my dad a 21c f104 and the avenger (first issue) and he never took them out of the box. he was a master modeler and would win awards at most shows.
The attention to detail was key to winning awards.

Me i don't really care too much I was collecting to save for the future. I've never even taken out my one and only P-38 out of the box. The newer releases are I think a lot better than the first early ones.

Eagerly awaiting new 1/18

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Merit is ridiculous. What a joke, to actually blame my YouTube video that was obviously a parody as to why their production was slow is just amazing. By the time they actually produce the Fw-190a no one will care or be able to afford it. Every year the people that built up collections back in the day from the Wal-Marts are losing interest and dumping their collections. Only a small percent of those are willing to pay $200 or more for any aircraft. That price point is too high. They can’t cost more than $50 each to produce, even if things are getting more expensive in China. I think Merit knows if they release either of those now they will both flop at those prices. I have waited long enough, we all have. I don’t care anymore. I still have a skyjerks kit to make myself one someday.

A part of me actually hopes they screw up again and December comes with no FW on the horizon. I'll make a sequel Hitler video that will put the first one to shame where Hitler will find out that he is the reason for them not producing it... :P

Go Merit!!!
:hornet: :hornet: :hornet:

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:50 pm

Jnewboy - I have to agree with you. If the truth is that one parody on one board messed with them THAT much; then the toy business is not for them. I agree that they really have taken a long time with things, over thinking can be bad.. As for price point- for that money the jet will almost have to fly. Companies like Hot Toys can pullthose high prices off with 12 inch figures because the likeness are dead on and the quality is unbelievable; but there are alot more people who want a dead on iron man then a Harrier. I know that some of the guys know I am in the toy business, and let me tell you both kids and the adults who buy the toys are really not happy with the prices these companies are starting to charge for a single action figure. So 200+ for a plane, there is a VERY slim market of adult collectors who will go for that. But we as collectors are also to blame because there are so many guys who would not drop $ 50 on a 1/18 plane if the wing is supposed to have 58 rivits and only has 49. So these compaines go crazy in a vain effort to please rivit counters. Star wars toys is a great example. Fan boys bitch and moan for bigger more accurate vehicles. So hasbro made a huge Falcon and ATAT. What did the demanding fan boys write on every board? "Too Rich for my blood, ill buy it on clearance" Guess what supplies were limited there was no clearance and now they complain they have to spend 3 times the money to get one and hasbro got burned. Unfortunately toys are changing and I think toy companies spend too much time thinking and listening to fan boy complaints instead of putting a toy on the shelves.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:36 pm

maritime96 wrote:Jnewboy - I have to agree with you. If the truth is that one parody on one board messed with them THAT much; then the toy business is not for them. I agree that they really have taken a long time with things, over thinking can be bad.. As for price point- for that money the jet will almost have to fly. Companies like Hot Toys can pullthose high prices off with 12 inch figures because the likeness are dead on and the quality is unbelievable; but there are alot more people who want a dead on iron man then a Harrier. I know that some of the guys know I am in the toy business, and let me tell you both kids and the adults who buy the toys are really not happy with the prices these companies are starting to charge for a single action figure. So 200+ for a plane, there is a VERY slim market of adult collectors who will go for that. But we as collectors are also to blame because there are so many guys who would not drop $ 50 on a 1/18 plane if the wing is supposed to have 58 rivits and only has 49. So these compaines go crazy in a vain effort to please rivit counters. Star wars toys is a great example. Fan boys bitch and moan for bigger more accurate vehicles. So hasbro made a huge Falcon and ATAT. What did the demanding fan boys write on every board? "Too Rich for my blood, ill buy it on clearance" Guess what supplies were limited there was no clearance and now they complain they have to spend 3 times the money to get one and hasbro got burned. Unfortunately toys are changing and I think toy companies spend too much time thinking and listening to fan boy complaints instead of putting a toy on the shelves.
I agree 100% Its almost like Merit has an identity crisis. Are they a modeling company that produces kits? and for a high price will sell a pre-built version? (this would make much more sense) or are they a toy company that makes high quality toys? and also produces kits for around the same price :? ??

They put the time in the detail (Im assuming that is what they spend their time on) then produce a finished product in finished prebuilt form. Like you said Maritime, rivet counters dont buy prebuilt very often, not unless the quality is insanely good and then you are talking Sideshow quality or better and major money. If you are going to produce a toy produce a toy, if you are going to produce a model produce a model.

If Merit came out with a Fw-190a in kit form with a good decal sheet for under $120 shipped I would buy three!

If they come out with one prebuilt for $200+ I wont buy one at all, cause it wont be up to my standard and I will repaint it and have to create custom decals and the whole 9 and to start off a $200+ Ill just make my skyjerks one.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 am

Great info Matthew, and somewhat encouraging.

Been a long time since we had any news from Merit, and sounds like they are still in the 1/18 game. At least for now, but they do need to release something.

$240 for the Harrier does sound a bit steep, but not unreasonable, as long as the quality is there. Many might balk at this price tag, but the cost of all models have increased quite a bit, and low cost 1/18 models are a thing of the past. Unless you want a toy, it will cost some money.

And thanks Axis Nightmare for pointing out the flaws in the 21C P-38. Didn't realize the position of the landing gear was that much off, but am still happy with mine, keeping in mind these were very cheap back in the day, and were never marketed as true scale models. If you want proper accuracy, I wouldn't highly recommend a $40 Walmart model. Not saying we shouldn't expect them to be pretty accurate, but lets not confuse them with a Tamiya model.

Like I say, happy enough with mine, and the landing gear always seems to be a weak point in 1/18. Perhaps because many will choose to display gear up?

Anyway, glad to hear something from Merit.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 am

Problem with the landing gear is due to making them workable as a toy - real gear can be slimmer (truer to scale) and definitely are more complicated.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:22 am

What 1/18 armor did MERIT make? I don't remember ever seeing any.

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:02 pm

I like to sport bitch as much as the next guy but I'm just glad someone is still in the 1/18 game. The quality of Merit's dauntless was amazing. I just wish they would keep the community updated on what is going on and not go dark for a year. That being said, when the harrier comes out, I will buy it. If they offer a repaint, I will buy that too. I don't have the luxury of buying kits because I don't have the skill/patience to put it together.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

Falcatta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Falcatta » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:29 pm

grockwood wrote:What 1/18 armor did MERIT make? I don't remember ever seeing any.
They might be referring to the repops they did of the 21st tanks and halftracks. I actually bought and built the 88 that they produced and it's very cool albeit a tad tedious as a model with 300 plus parts. On the bottom it's definitely the 21st century 88 mold as the markings from the mold are there.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 am

Pickel can you cantact me by PM ?
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Still looking forward to the Harrier!

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Its like LInkin Parks song, they try so hard but got so far! Now where is the Harrier, still waiting? How many more delays will we see? I gave up buying 1/18 crap and bought my self a new Mustang!

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 pm

thatf14guy wrote:Its like LInkin Parks song, they try so hard but got so far! Now where is the Harrier, still waiting? How many more delays will we see? I gave up buying 1/18 crap and bought my self a new Mustang!
The new mustangs are very nice! 1000% better than the offerings from a few years ago!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Ease up a little guys .

My rep was nice enough to disclose info .

We do not want to rub them in the wrong way.