Is Kickstarter a Means of Getting Our A-10 ?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Is Kickstarter a Means of Getting Our A-10 ?

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 am

OK guys I took my cast off to type this .

I heard back from my rep on the A-10 project here is the breakdown.

Before everything gets started they need a prototype that should be engineered to break down and designed for injection molding-----$10,000

Tooling will cost anywhere between $85,000 and $120,000 depending on options he says the $120,000 is a little high but he has that number to be safe.

That is for tooling only now we have production .

The estimated cost is $120-$160 per unit @ 2,000 units....$240,000 to $ 320,000

Shipping to the US aprx. $4,000

He said that there probably will not be any import tax. but for some reason I kind of doubt this so that may be another unforeseen cost.

so

Tool up---------------$85,000---$120,000
prototype------------$10,000
production-------------$240,000-$ 320,000
shipping-----------------$4,000

total--best case scenario $339,000 worst case $ 454 ,000

Price per unit painted in box. $169--$227 COST !!

If there will be a second run there will not be the additional cost of tooling.

He said count on about $374,000 for the entire project.

So there you have it nothing will start until the prototype is made.

Once that is done the ball can start rolling.

$5,000 down for the proto $5,00 after it is made and takes 45 - 60 days to complete .

A third is required for start up on the tooling 1/3 as it is under way and the last 1/3 upon completion of tooling.

The same applies for the production.

Calls will be made to raise the $10,000 for the prototype this week , and I will try to contact the guys at Kickstarter and see how we can get started .

Any guys who have used kickstarter before I gladly accept any guidance that you may have for me on this project.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm

This is AWESOME news !!

Steve

P.S. Thanks for ALL your work on this Pickelhaube and, I hope your feeling better.
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:07 pm

A-10LOADER wrote:This is AWESOME news !!

Steve

P.S. Thanks for ALL your work on this Pickelhaube and, I hope your feeling better.

Thanks Steve !!

Well I did a little research on Kickstater and the first step is to make a video of your idea .

Other than that in order to start this project we need about $10,000 to make the prototype .

So have 2 options to raise the $10,000 raise it ourselves or put this on kick starter . If we submit the prototype fund raiser and actually get it funded Kickstater takes 5 % and tax on the $10,000 will be about 9% .

So we would have to raise $12,000 on Kickstarter for the prototype a little more if we go this way.

We have raised $3,000 so far ( or my financial supporter has anyway ) is there anybody who wants to contribute to the prototype fund to get this ball rolling before we make an attempt to intergrate Kickstarter ?

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dcway » Fri May 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi All
Any updates on the A-10 project ????
Dana

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dcway » Mon May 25, 2015 6:37 pm

still nothing ??????????? Should have known better !!!!!! All these want posts !!!! Need to do one project at a time and stop getting people's hope's up !!!!!!!
My 2cents again and again !!!!!!!!!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon May 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Well it is like this .

I talked to a major importer about the A-10 he was the guy who gave me the numbers .

His company does not do the manufacturing they sub it out.

So I decided to try and get another price from another major company .

I called and they said the powers that be are all on vacation .

So I called when they told me to do so . I would call and got the same reply.

This grab azz back and forth went on for 2 months and I still did not get a reply so the only thing going are the numbers that I have stated.

Those are some crazy big numbers $374,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have not progressed with the Kickstarter start up.

I have joined them and the next step is to raise $10, 000 for the A-10 tooling prototype my backers are about halfway there on the $10,000 .

There are things going on in the background slow but still going.

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dcway » Tue May 26, 2015 1:05 pm

thanks for the update !!!!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Dana:

No offense dude but you need to chill out a little bit. Honestly.

Pickelhaube (Matthew) contributes a lot to this board. He does a lot of projects for people and puts a lot of time into his work as does Pizzaguy (Nate) and some others. You have to remember that they do these projects on their own time. They have jobs, families and other commitments. They aren't sitting around here playing with molds and custom parts for models. I also know that most of them make very little money on their projects when all is said and done. They probably put far more time into them than they could ever charge for, and they do this for our benefit, so we have this cool stuff to play with and add to our models.

The A-10 project is going to be a major challenge. The aircraft is big in 1/18 scale and only so many people will probably be able to get one due to space issues, cost and overall interest. What Pickelhaube is saying is that if people want this project to happen they need to support it and that he can't cover it out of his own pocket, nor should we expect him too. What he is also saying is that if there is not enough interest, why even bother with starting the Kickstarter program and so on. He has a point. Honestly although the A-10 is super cool and would be incredibly awesome in 1/18 scale, I wonder if the project is too big of an undertaking. Pizzaguy's TA-183 is much more size friendly for most folks. That being said I appreciate Pickelhaube trying to step up to the plate and do something to bring this to light for people who do want an A-10

Bottom line, Pickelhaube has done a lot for this hobby. He makes things people wants and delivers them. He is a one person operation and does the best he can. The same can be said for Pizzaguy and the others. I have never seen these guys post a "wish list" as you say. They say what they are going to do and get them done. We should all be indebted to them for the time and sacrifice they make from their own time to provide us some of the things we have wanted in this hobby.

That is my .02 cents!

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue May 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Well said Coreyeagle48, well said.
I worked the A-10 FOR 17 1/2 YEARS and would LOVE to see one in 1/18th scale !! If it is meant to happen it will but, just like everything else in life, it will come at a cost. Be patient, we've waited this long so far.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.