1/18 bombers

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
jimmy321
Private First Class
Private First Class

1/18 bombers

Post by jimmy321 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:48 pm

I am looking for a b-25 and a b-17 that are close to 1/18 or 1/16. Does anybody know of any rc planes that will match these sizes.

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 bombers

Post by YT » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:01 pm

My FSK B-25 hung up in the garage along with 2 P51s.

"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:48 pm

The FSK B-25 is probably your best bet - if you can find one. Its a foam kit with vacuform pieces to make the window/turret framing and interior details. It came with a super-detail option that had the parts to detail the cockpit and nose section interiors. I think the plane is actually 1:17 scale, but as you can see from YT's pictures, it works perfectly with 1:18. I recall that there was also an RC B-17 that was close to 1:18 scale, but it looked a little wonky... Check out the RC plane thread at the top of this forum.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:54 pm

What do those typically run?

My friend's father flew a B25 in the Pacific, and I was bestowed with the manual from the plane, a swatch of parachute silk which they all (the crew) took some from and had a note sewn onto them as a memento of their time together, and most important to me, I got his "black cat" patch from the back of his jacket... I love the thing, and would love to have a 1/18-ish B-25 on the ceiling in his plane's deco. :)

I also have a ton of pictures from his plane's gun cameras and such. Cool stuff.

His son didn't know what to do with it, so most of his things went to a local museum, but he gave me some pieces I'll cherish forever.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm

YT wrote:My FSK B-25 hung up in the garage along with 2 P51s.

Looks great hung up!! Looks like its getting some wing droop- maybe try inserting a small wooden dowel in the wings.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:20 am

Jesse James wrote:What do those typically run?

My friend's father flew a B25 in the Pacific, and I was bestowed with the manual from the plane, a swatch of parachute silk which they all (the crew) took some from and had a note sewn onto them as a memento of their time together, and most important to me, I got his "black cat" patch from the back of his jacket... I love the thing, and would love to have a 1/18-ish B-25 on the ceiling in his plane's deco. :)

I also have a ton of pictures from his plane's gun cameras and such. Cool stuff.

His son didn't know what to do with it, so most of his things went to a local museum, but he gave me some pieces I'll cherish forever.

Most stuff donated to museums get stuffed into a box never to be seen again. Or sold off to finance other things that the museum wants.

Or traded with other museums.

Unless it is put on display.

I know this to be a fact first hand.

:?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

YT

Post by YT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:32 am

Jnewboy wrote:
Looks great hung up!! Looks like its getting some wing droop- maybe try inserting a small wooden dowel in the wings.
[/quote]

It's the way the kit is designed, that pic was taken the day I hung it up. There are balsa bulkheads in the model.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 pm

It's a small local museum, not the Carnegie, haha. :) They display local military vets stuff if the families don't know what to do with it, have local stuff about the flood of '36, or settlers and native americans from the area, etc. It's in an old school.

His other choice was the Soldier's and Sailors memorial museum in Pittsburgh which offered to take the items actually and they're all local Pittsburgh military vet stuff. They'll always take and display items. They have things that date back to F&I War... There also is the Heinz History Center which I told him would probably take it but they rotate displays more so I wasn't sure how they'd operate.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

I googled about and see there is an "FMS" B-25.
Any idea what scale it is?

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:01 pm

The 1875mm EPO B-17 is approximately 1/17 scale. I think the only scheme available is Memphis Belle. I have one I bought second hand and have hung it with a pair of fighters and I don't notice any huge discrepancies.