Just saw the Movie "Fury" (Added Photos and description)

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Just saw the Movie "Fury" (Added Photos and description)

Post by skypirate » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:27 am

I'm wondering if the Sheman in that earlier graphic is about 13-14% under scaled.

As far as combat effectiveness goes, I'm not sure what to believe. Strategic vs. direct tank to tank comparisons. Personally, I think the Germans' kill ratio had the "benefit" of frequently fighting a defensive war.

All of this does make me want to read up more on the Sherman. I'm leaning towards, Armored Thunderbolt: The U.S. Army Sherman in World War II. Any other recommendations?
Last edited by skypirate on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:44 am

I would recommend the bible of Sherman information: R.P. Hunnicutt's, Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank. It is expensive and maybe hard to find. But you may find it at your local library or library exchange program..

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2802962-sherman

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:57 am

The problem with statistics (in this case kill ratios) they are never taken in context. The early years of the war when germany had less capable tanks compared to their enemies, they had a higher kill ratio. As the war progreses the kill ratio changes but so does the conditions. By 44/45 Germany was on the defensive and in better postion for higer kills, but the ratio apears to be lower. That could be attributed to a lot less tanks on the battlefiield.

Total prodcution numbers for the sherman tanks in all it's variants may have been 50,000 and for all theaters as well. Facts are interesting, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 pm

grockwood wrote:I would recommend the bible of Sherman information: R.P. Hunnicutt's, Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank. It is expensive and maybe hard to find. But you may find it at your local library or library exchange program..

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks great, but wow, that is some serious money!
grockwood wrote:I would recommend the bible of Sherman information: R.P. Hunnicutt's, Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank. It is expensive and maybe hard to find. But you may find it at your local library or library exchange program..

Yes, a lot of comparing apples to oranges, the situation changes throughout the war.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 pm

One of the most impressive things about the Sherman tank was the men inside of them. Even knowing the odds were not good when facing a Tiger they still found crews to man them. God bless them all.