huey doors for gunner

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

huey doors for gunner

Post by rudedog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 am

morning all i have tech question does anyone know how to remove the side doors from a 21st century Huey without cutting or damaging them? i have a master mold of a door gunner. looking at pictures the door will need to slide back all the way or be removed. any help wold be awesome.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: huey doors for gunner

Post by granch » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Well,
I think the regular way would be to dismantel the all helicopter. It seems that the doors have been mounted before the 2 halfs of the fuselage and the cabin floor have been put together... Are you sure you want to remove the doors???
I got a used Huey and had to repair both doors. On each door, the pins from the 2 hinges that slip in 2 rails in the fuselage were broken. I had to dig thin holes in the hinges to make possible to pass a wire into it. The wire goes through a small brass tube that rolls behind the fuselage panel that is between the 2 rails. Both ends of the wire tied together from the inside of the fuselage. It was a hard job, but it works perfectly. The rolling tube allows a smooth opening and closing of the door, much better than the wire alone.
Good luck...

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: huey doors for gunner

Post by rudedog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:05 am

thx i see. the door will not go back far enough to install a door gunner kit i have. you can not cut the body enough to move the door back fully. removing the doors was first option.