Museum 1/18 D-Day Display

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Museum 1/18 D-Day Display

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon May 26, 2014 7:56 am

Spent considerable time this Memorial Day Weekend at the Tri-State Warbird Museum both with guests and setting-up our special display for our annual fundraiser Gala which will take place on Friday, June 6, 2014, the 70th anniversary of D-Day, Normandie, France. The theme for this year's event was a no brainer and we decided to make sure everyone entering through the doors would have no doubt about our special theme. After much added detail and modifications, we hung a Dynam R.C. C-47 with a 5' wingspan which came close though a bit undersized for 1/18 scale. We then scattered 1/18 paratroopers about the upper balcony and down to about 8' off the first level floor. The display is designed to catch the eye with the lower troopers and then follow up to the high ones and the C-47. For the event, we will have spot lights to illuminate the plane and troopers. Was very tough to photograph but I got a few pics. Thanks to Razor17019 for his assist with tedious assembling of the troopers. Couldn't have done it without him. :)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Re: Museum 1/18 D-Day Display

Post by normandy » Mon May 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Well done guys, great display!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Great display! I like the 1/18-ish C-47 as well. Helps pull things together scale-wise.

Also glad the info I gave to Razor and you on the parachute frames helped - they look great :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Really nice. I need to bring my family out there sometime.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon May 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Very nicely done
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:37 pm

All,
I was really glad I finally got to combine my love of toys and history into a helpful endeavor. The display really turned out nice. Axis found a wire plant hanger that we fitted into the parachute and tied it off to the ceiling to make it look like the chutes are deployed. But, Tman thanks for your inspiration with your original pictures and idea.
I really enjoyed working on this project. But the work Axis did on the C-47 was really amazing. It makes the whole display.
The best part was running into a WWII B-24 tail gunner in the museum. He showed me his display and talked about his 30 missions that he did to aid in supplying the French and Belgium underground up to D-Day. Amazing stuff. He and men like him make you rethink about the meaning of "Memorial Day".
Thanks again Dennis for inviting me to help you. I was an honor and my privilege.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed May 28, 2014 1:32 pm

GREAT DISPLAY!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Razor17019 wrote: The best part was running into a WWII B-24 tail gunner in the museum. He showed me his display and talked about his 30 missions that he did to aid in supplying the French and Belgium underground up to D-Day. Amazing stuff.
Razor

The B-24 tail gunner was Don Fairbanks. Until a couple of years ago, he was still instructing student helicopter pilots across the runway at the other side of the airport. His all black B-24 ran night drops over occupied France and Belgium and dropped spies, arms, and supplies of all kinds to the resistance fighters. I can remember a few years back when we would have as many as five or six of the Vets in on Saturdays. Sadly, most of them have now passed and some of them are in ill health. One B-17 tail gunner who had over 30 mission with the "Bloody Hundreth" and a probable of an Me-262, would sit for hours by his display and tell his story to the visitors. He has had health issues and we may not see him back again. Our local Tuskeegee Airman is now in a care home. His stories were from a unique perspective. It was a sad time of discrimination and prejudice for men defending our country. He was in the documentary "Double Victory" seen on the History and Military channels. All who are physically able will be at our Gala June 6. A few of them proudly wear their original uniforms or flight suits that evening. I'm looking forward to shaking each ones hand. :wink:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Very nicely done display.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Well Done that looks Bloody Awsum :shock:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Definitely COOL !!!