suggestion--JSI/Merit AV-8B Harrier

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

suggestion--JSI/Merit AV-8B Harrier

Post by dragon53 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Jim@Merit:

Here's my suggestion for the upcoming AV-8B Harrier.
The paint scheme should be the VMA-223 "Bulldogs" Harrier flown by Arnold Schwarzenegger in TRUE LIES instead of the VMA-231 "Ace of Spades" currently on the JSI/Merit artwork.
I think the popularity of Schwarzenegger and TRUE LIES would enhance the JSI/Merit model's popularity with collectors.
Assuming that any Harrier model doesn't mention TRUE LIES, I would think this would avoid any copyright problems with the studio since the real Harrier was the property of the Department of Defense/US taxpayers.

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: suggestion--JSI/Merit AV-8B Harrier

Post by Berkut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Always think of the movie when reading about the AV-8.

Would be kick ass to have Anrie signing the package then. A license from the movies would make the model and package more interesting, but there are better AV-8 Harriers liveries.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 pm

BERKUT:

I think the TRUE LIES version would sell better---once word got out among collectors that the model is the one flown by Schwarzenegger. JSI/Merit shouldn't mention it was the TRUE LIES Harrier because that would result in licensing fees with the studio.
Licensing fees could be avoided if JSI/Merit released the Harrier without mentioning the movie and because the two Harriers in TRUE LIES are property of the Department of Defense (i.e. the US taxpayers), not the studio. Any licensing fees would be the normal one paid to Boeing/McDonnell Douglas.
JSI/Merit wouldn't have to worry about a 1/18 Schwarzenegger pilot figure which would result in licensing fees to the studio...because I doubt a pilot figure will be included.

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dcway » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Berkut
What happened to the OA-37 Dragonfly project ???????? Or was that just another bad april fools joke ???
Not impressed at all !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dana

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

dcway wrote:Berkut
What happened to the OA-37 Dragonfly project ???????? Or was that just another bad april fools joke ???
Not impressed at all !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dana
lol

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 am

dragon53 wrote:BERKUT:

I think the TRUE LIES version would sell better---once word got out among collectors that the model is the one flown by Schwarzenegger. JSI/Merit shouldn't mention it was the TRUE LIES Harrier because that would result in licensing fees with the studio.
Licensing fees could be avoided if JSI/Merit released the Harrier without mentioning the movie and because the two Harriers in TRUE LIES are property of the Department of Defense (i.e. the US taxpayers), not the studio. Any licensing fees would be the normal one paid to Boeing/McDonnell Douglas.
JSI/Merit wouldn't have to worry about a 1/18 Schwarzenegger pilot figure which would result in licensing fees to the studio...because I doubt a pilot figure will be included.
Good points, did you contacted JSI/Merit with the request?

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 am

Dana, you mean the old: best 1:18 plane model thread for factories? Sorry, but of course that was not serious, lol, I am not a factory. Would be nice to score a free 1:18 prototype though. Factories should give the fans more interactive options to decide which models/schemes getting made.

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 am

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:41 am

BERKUT:

I posted it here addressed to Jim@Merit. Hopefully, he sees it.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Surely, I'd prefer the VMA-513 sheme, but yes, it could rise sells if it comes in the schwarzie version (and lower the price).

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 am

I love the camo pattern but I'm also partial to the VMA-214 Blacksheep paint scheme. Maybe because of its similarities to the Jolly Rogers.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 am

One thing to point out however is in regards to the nose cone. Despite the cone installed upside down in the photo it is quite clear there is a difference when compared to the two illustration along the right. AV-8B II Plus (+) vs AV-8B II. The prototype model depicted includes a forward looking infrared (FLIR) camera added closer to the cockpit along the top of the nose cone with the addition of an APG-65 multi-mode pulse-Doppler radar housed inside a (17" 1:1 scale) extended nose, allowing it to launch advanced beyond-visual-range missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM. The Harrier in the film had a shorter nose with a ARBS lens mounted out front at the tip. Since the two illustrations conflict with the prototype we saw last year at SDCC the real question is which one exactly are we getting? And since this particular model will also be available as a kit will there be an option to interchange the nose cone between the few styles used in the service. Standard cone with no optics/lens, cone with ARBS, cone with FLIR, cone with both ARBS + FLIR, and so on.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Beeavision wrote:And since this particular model will also be available as a kit will there be an option to interchange the nose cone between the few styles used in the service. Standard cone with no optics/lens, cone with ARBS, cone with FLIR, cone with both ARBS + FLIR, and so on.
That would be a smart move on their part to include just such an option. Kit folk could build the version they want without having to wait months or years for a new version to come out individually and the company would be selling multiple kits earlier to those who would build more than one version. The position of having to hope the first release sells well enough to convince the manufacturer to make more really sucks so why not cover as many bases as possible right off the bat? Remember all the people who said they were going to wait on Merit's Dauntless to see what schemes they would release later on? Did they think Merit would make more if most everyone held off on buying any? Remember, you don't get to take the pretty girl to prom unless you find her ugly friend a date as well. Anyway...

I know the HK Models B-17G is selling well enough even at~$300, but would they be selling more right now if it was possible to swap a few parts to make a "F" version so the Memphis Belle fans could build now rather than next year? Assuming they do an "F"? The "G" is my favorite but there are some awesome paint schemes for the "F" that I would do if i had some spare scratch.

I myself am a fan of Dragon's 3-in-1 kits as I get to pick a version I want (I have several of the SdKfz 251 kits like this) and I have tons of extras left over for other stuff. I mean, if I am already going to buy another kit anyway to do a different version, buying the one that comes with additional parts is always better than buying a single version kit.

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

dragon53 wrote:BERKUT:

I posted it here addressed to Jim@Merit. Hopefully, he sees it.
Allrighty, in that case I would like to point out some more requests for Jim and Merit. (:

Hope they can make a limited edition with numbered certificate of a green camo Harrier.
The certificate and the proof of a limited edition will give the model extra value, also for the future + it will make it more special to us.

They can then also release other liveries as limited or non limited editions.

Green camos on jets are sexy! XD Could not find many of the Harrier, but we all know these green camo classics (only usefull when flying over forest/bush of course so not seen often):

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Agree with Beeavision and [CAT]CplSlade, the nose kit options are very nice. I still prefer the short one as I think it looks better comparing with the rest of the bulky round design.

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 am

We thank you all for your suggestions. Actually a couple of you have already hit the correct markings we have in mind. Please wait for official announcement.
BTY, JSI Harrier had a major make over from 1st test shot. Please wait.

sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by sbd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 am

JIM@MERIT:

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, a Schwarzenegger Harrier and a Bong P-38 are in the skies ahead. :mrgreen:

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Why can they not just give details of which livery they will make? Does this means the Harrier is delayed and if so how many months? I want other jets, but want this Harrier too so I will buy at least 3 and sure lots of forum members will buy it too!

Will JSI survive? They are the only one left to make this hobby alive for Fucky Duck sake. :/

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:45 am

I can't wait to see the new 1/18 Harrier. Is that the actual box in that one picture?

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm not sure if that will be the box for the 1:18 built and painted Harrier or the 1:18 kit.
But then there's this pic....

When is the Harrier due out, May?

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm

There is no box art that has been revealed to us as of yet. The two pics above along the right of the photo of the prototype taken at SDCC are actually from printed pages/brochures like the one Normandy just posted up.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm

May 31st....maybe????

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 am

We thank you all for your suggestions. Actually a couple of you have already hit the correct markings we have in mind. Please wait for official announcement.
BTY, JSI Harrier had a major make over from 1st test shot. Please wait.
Jim, just curious are we getting any closer to an official announcement yet?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:59 am

When is the official announcement?....Anyone?....Anyone?....Anyone?

Jim.... Jim.... Jim.... Jim....

Has anyone seen Jim? Anyone?.... Anyone?.... Anyone?