OURWAR WW2 Germans on the way to US!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Melvin
Corporal
Corporal

OURWAR WW2 Germans on the way to US!

Post by Melvin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 pm

My first parcel to US.
Took the photos before they departure,some of them will go to members on this forum,please wait for them to arrive at your home!

http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=6887
Big fun with 1:18!

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: OURWAR WW2 Germans on the way to US!

Post by normandy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 am

Melvin, they are here! :D Maritime96 ordered a case and split it with me, these figures are great.

I'll take more pics later today.

Melvin
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Melvin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:59 am

Wow,great!

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:51 pm

German troops in the U.S.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Great pictures. I don't know why I am thinking these guys need some funny captions though. Just the looks on their faces seem made for it. LOL Nice work on the Brummbar
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Melvin
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Melvin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Oh man,great photos!

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Great Shot normandy !

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I've added some pics of one of the new Ourwar Germans.

With gear on...

Gear off...

This pic is interesting, two of the six figures have a beard and mustache.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Shaving time wasn't available I guess. :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:37 pm

The more I see of these figures, the less I like them. Shame.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:26 pm

SolidSnakeEyes wrote:The more I see of these figures, the less I like them. Shame.
I was thinking the same thing. They're built like WWE wrestling figures with forearms the size of legs. I don't care for the short sleeves. Really highlights the robot like joints. Could use some flat clear spray. Way too shiney like molded green army men. So that poses another question. Will flat spray like Testors "Dullcote" work on figures like this without eating up the soft plastic? In positives, the equipment looks O.K. and the uniform decorations look O.K. and no one else is coming out with anything new like this. Close-ups usually aren't flattering for the average 1/18 figures singled out with nothing else in the surroundings to divert the senses away from the flaws. :wink:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 pm

So, has anyone else picked these things up? I'm curious for a little more community feedback. I still think they look a little too rough to make a buy, but maybe if I see some quality mods done to them, or maybe them in a good diorama it'll change my mind.
Thoughts? Does anyone else feel the same way I do about them?

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun May 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Some thoughts from a set I got from a friend (not freebies for review)...

-Weapons are spongey... There are better versions out there, but this line gives you some things you didn't have. K98's with slings, MG34 ammo belt around the ammo loader, and ammo can for MG which isn't unmade but only InToyz made one so most don't have that tiny but important piece for any Machine Gunner...

-Heads are... different... They aren't bad headsculpts, to me, so much as they're very slightly different from one another and apparently all Germans look basically the same. :P They could've used some variation to the hair/eye colors I think, and a little finer work with deco to give the "cropped" sides a little fuzz/stubble would've helped too. Basically every guy looks VERY similar with a slightly different facial feature to each. Their haircuts are all identcal, as are the hair color and eyes... It's this company's first time doing removable headgear though, so I give leeway here somewhat. They're not on FOV/BBI/21st levels in terms of quality, but I think Hiya toys shows they can adapt, listen to consumer opinion, and grow/improve.

-The articulation is pretty outstanding... Superior, really, to most other military toys in this scale, adopting GI Joe levels of articulation including ball joints at the wrists, torso, hips, and double-hinged knees. I'm personally not a HUGE fan of that style articulation (GI Joe style) and prefer something a little more toned down akin to 21st, BBI, and FOV... I like articulation, but I could do without a hinged torso for instance, and I don't really NEED a double-hinged knee.

-Uniform deco... Overall deco of the figure is pretty basic. There's a shine to the figures but nothing that can't be fixed a little. They're not getting a "wash" to make them a little more realistic and heighten what was done right with the sculpting, but deco is an area where toys are getting cutbacks anymore because it's hyper expensive from a labor standpoint. IE: It's not just this line but all action figures are seeing deco cutbacks these days.

-Accessories... Other than the plastic used, everyone comes with some good stuff. Stuff like working holsters for Lugers on the guys who need them, and a good deal of gear is included. Pretty typical stuff they need like a gun, helmet, etc. They all had grenades too, and that kind of extra stuff is cool to me.

-The Y-harness/belt is a separate piece, but glued to the torso, and unfortunately something occurred where the Y-Harness/belt does NOT want to rest in the "groove" on his waistline that it should. This was my only major disappointment I had with my set... This stands out, and can't be fixed easily that I'm seeing. If you have a gripe, it is here. I like the idea of removable belt/harness/gear, but if it's at the overall cost of the figure's aesthetic, especially if there's an issue with manufacturing where the harness system doesn't FIT properly? Yeah, just sculpt the belt/ammo stuff to the figure's torso (and again, I could do without the ball jointed torso if it fixed this issue).

-Some of my figure's ammo/holster/belt box stuff fell off... Nothing a little glue won't fix, just be cautious.

-Helmets are made to fit these figures very snug, and won't fit other figures I don't believe.

Summing up...

-The Y-Harness/Belt issue is my only major gripe. A difficult thing to fix, but possible I suppose. Annoying though, and because the belts were glued down (which I think at one point they wouldn't have been, till they saw they weren't going to rest in their waistline groove properly), and even more difficult fix IMO. If one thing will piss you off, it's this.

-If a 2nd thing will piss you off it's going to be the headsculpts... They're ok, but if FOV/21st is your benchmark, these fall below it. Again, this company's new and these were their first attempts at removable headgear. Keep that in mind. They need to work on human head proportions somewhat and increase the size of their buckets then a tad, I believe, but I find the new headsculpts as adding some diversity since I have so many Germans already.

Beyond that they're a neat addition. Better than In Toyz by a mile, better than SOME 21st figures here and there. Falling short of FOV/BBI to me in most respects.

I like having some "Spring Offensive" Germans with their sleeves rolled up like so many looked during Barbarossa and things. It's something different on my shelf, and that shelf hasn't seen much different in many, many years. For a set for $60-ish I won't gripe much then. If these were $20 though each? Yeah I'd be out.

Hiya's a small company, just starting out it seems. They've got talented sculptors, but sculpt to manufacturing is a big leap and not everything goes as you wished. I feel like that harness was a bridge too far for them. The headgear being removable though? Some tweaks and they'll be knocking that out of the park IMO.

I'd love to see a more rigid plastic for accessories, like 21st/BBI/FOV did. I think that's a better way to go on those. I'm used to soft rifles and stuff for action figures though, from Star Wars and other lines. That's just the way it is.

I think anything these are nice, but I can easily see some folks turning their nose up at them too. If you want perfect, these will infuriate you. If you want something slightly different, and can overlook some flaws or fix a few things that need fixing, these are up your alley.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 am

Axis Nightmare wrote:
SolidSnakeEyes wrote:The more I see of these figures, the less I like them. Shame.
I was thinking the same thing. They're built like WWE wrestling figures with forearms the size of legs. I don't care for the short sleeves. Really highlights the robot like joints. Could use some flat clear spray. Way too shiney like molded green army men. So that poses another question. Will flat spray like Testors "Dullcote" work on figures like this without eating up the soft plastic? In positives, the equipment looks O.K. and the uniform decorations look O.K. and no one else is coming out with anything new like this. Close-ups usually aren't flattering for the average 1/18 figures singled out with nothing else in the surroundings to divert the senses away from the flaws. :wink:
I still think the Jakks WWE figures had outstanding head sculpts.

As we're well into the age of 3D printers, it seems there should be better head sculpts on the way.

Edit: Maybe the bearded one is Dirk Nowitzki? :)

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Thank you for the review, Jesse James! You make some excellent points.

Despite their shortcomings, these figures have grown on me. Nice to have something a bit different in the German line.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Fri May 16, 2014 1:33 pm

To me the most disappointment was that the company didn't produce the long sleeve infantry man shown on the prototype versions. I guess some one tough the Popeye fore arms versions was way more cool.

I will still get one set or maybe two. The articulation and weapons are really a plus.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon May 19, 2014 6:25 pm

I have one with full sleeves... one of the riflemen.

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

That's interesting Jesse, both of the riflemen (A and B) I got had sleeves rolled up. :?

:shock: just saw this, in this pic from the Fighting 118 you can see the long sleeved Rifleman.

and the two figures on the right.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Normandy I wonder if this was a running change because the case we bought together had all short sleeves but my set frim BBTS has a long sleeve
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 am

Possible it's a production change, or an issue that got addressed (IE: Production flub).

I got the long-sleeve dude though pictured there.

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Well guys, I took the plunge and picked these guys up. The more I looked at them the more they grew on me.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler