Found a RAAF F-18 (but also need some advice). Photos added.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Found a RAAF F-18 (but also need some advice). Photos added.

Post by Jay » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm

So a Bbi 1/18 F/A-18C Hornet (RAAF 2OCU Squadron No. 2 Operational Conversion Unit Australian Exclusive) came up on a New Zealand auction site (Which is a rare find just there). Won it for $200NZD (About $166USD)
Couple of questions. How rare is it? As far as i know it's an Australian exclusive but what are the numbers compared to the Bbi USAF ones?
Also, one of the rear stabilizers is bent (Like it's been caught in a door). What is the best way to bend it back? Hot water?
Last edited by Jay on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Re: Found a RAAF F-18 (but also need some advice)

Post by tko211 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:30 am

It's a pretty rare paint scheme. 166.00 US is a steal. Let me know if you don't want it! I would like to add one to my collection for that price.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 pm

haha noted tko, yeah, the price is now $1000. Although seriously, the F-18 has been a plane missing from my collection for a long time. Pretty sure this one will be here for as long as I am :)
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Jay,
Post a pic of the plane when you get it.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

YT

Post by YT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Nice score Jay! I think hot water would be a good place to start, should work with the soft BBI plastic.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

snake

Post by snake » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:46 pm

That is a fantastic deal. Jay. :shock: 8)

Even better that your shipping is "local", which will help as well.

As you say, both the RAAF Hornets were Australian dealer commissions, and although I can't name the dealer, Global comes to mind. I could check. Anyway, I believe the run on these were 250, for each of the two RAAF Hornet sqaudrons. So pretty rare, as the Badcat Blue Angels, Red Devils, and Marauders were runs of 500.

These very rarely show up, and command top dollar. And by very rarely, I mean very rarely. For some reason the 2 OCU Sqn does seem to show up more than the other one, but any sighting is an event, with prices to match.

In regards to the bent stabilator, as YT has said, hot water would be your best bet. Once you have it shaped properly, immediately place it in cold water. This will "shock" it, and keep its shape. Have never tried this technique myself, but it does seem the recommended way to solve issues like this.

Anyway, great acquisition Jay, and a fantastic price.

Know you will like it when it arrives. :D

2 OCU Sqn.

75th Sqn

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:58 am

Hey JAY i can offer you 170 US $ for your hornet ! what do you think ? is it a deal ? :lol:

Great find !!!! Of course kep it ! :lol: lucky down under !

The guy who sold it doesn't know his loss ..... 8)

They should have done a swiss version ....for your European friends from across th pond !!!
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Here she is. Also a photo of the bent rear Stabilizer. I'll give the hot water/ cold water technique a try :idea:

snake

Re: Found a RAAF F-18 (but also need some advice). Photos ad

Post by snake » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 am

That does look really bent, Jay. :shock:

Try the hot water treatment, and hope it works.

Guess it depends on how badly you want this very valuable model to look on display. You could just display it so you can't see the starboard stabilator.

You could also pick up another BBI Hornet, and replace the stabilator, but means your replacement Hornet will have the same issues.

If you don't want to incur the cost of that, sometimes heavily damaged models are made available for spares. But these are very few and far between. You could be waiting for years.

Think your best bet, if the hot water treatment doesn't work, would be to contact BBI directly about a spare part. They did recently re release the Hornet, in Sidewinders livery, so spares might be available. And postage to NZ for a "small" part would be reasonable.

Your 2 SQN OCU Hornet is very valuable, and you should try to get it looking right. That is just my opinion though, and you might end up being happy to display it, so you can't see the flaw.

I am looking forward to seeing how you deal with this, and the end result. :wink:

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 am

Really, REALLY, nice score Jay! :shock:

Hot water treatment is easy to do and should work just fine.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeap it worked, thanks guys.
Now that the Stab is straight I've noticed the other side is slightly bent as well (in the opposite direction). I'll do the remaining side later on today. I'm guessing the plane was left sitting with it's tail up against something?
I had two drink coasters, and used them kind of like a splint to sandwich the bent Stab. Then i used a couple of bulldog clips either side to hold the three together (effectively clamping the Stab flat). The whole lot was then put in a pot and hot water was added. Let it soak for a bit. Took it out, flashed it in ice cold water then let it sit in the freezer for a bit for good measure. Lastly I left it overnight under a stack of books
There is still a very slight twist so i might do the first Stab again but slightly over bend it......then when it "relaxes" it will sit flat. You don't notice it unless it's pointed out though.
I can take an after pic if anyone wants.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Nicely played. Such a great find!

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:30 am

Glad to hear the hot water treatment worked, Jay. :D

mecanico23
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mecanico23 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Hello Jay! How are you? Congratulations on purchasing the RAAF F-18 BBI and also get fix crooked horizontal stabilizer, you have in your collection a very rare piece, take care of her.

Recently I managed to bring to Brazil the RAAF F-18 Sqn 75 BBI after nearly three years looking at ebay and google, bought from a vendor in Australia that no longer wanted and so I offered some money, he agreed and bought it, now I try the same version that you have to close the collection of F-18 Honerts BBI, they really are hard to find and the values ​​are very high.

Congratulations on the purchase friend, now just enjoy your new plane.

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:14 pm

snake wrote:That is a fantastic deal. Jay. :shock: 8)

Even better that your shipping is "local", which will help as well.

As you say, both the RAAF Hornets were Australian dealer commissions, and although I can't name the dealer, Global comes to mind. I could check. Anyway, I believe the run on these were 250, for each of the two RAAF Hornet sqaudrons. So pretty rare, as the Badcat Blue Angels, Red Devils, and Marauders were runs of 500.

These very rarely show up, and command top dollar. And by very rarely, I mean very rarely. For some reason the 2 OCU Sqn does seem to show up more than the other one, but any sighting is an event, with prices to match.

In regards to the bent stabilator, as YT has said, hot water would be your best bet. Once you have it shaped properly, immediately place it in cold water. This will "shock" it, and keep its shape. Have never tried this technique myself, but it does seem the recommended way to solve issues like this.

Anyway, great acquisition Jay, and a fantastic price.

Know you will like it when it arrives. :D

2 OCU Sqn.

75th Sqn

Did you noticed that the Australian website of Global ... is no longer online, which means they are out of business as well?

This model was easy to buy in the early 2000-2005 for around 250 per piece. Even some European shops were selling them after importing a batch from AUS. Did they not go on eBay for 500-1000 USD?