Forces of Valor King Tiger 1/16

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Forces of Valor King Tiger 1/16

Post by MUDHEN336 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Does anyone know anything about this item? Do the tracks roll? Is it sturdy enough to be played with or is it purely a display piece? I would like to get one but I would prefer to be able to play with it a little and not just have it collect dust on the shelf.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Forces of Valor King Tiger 1/16

Post by cnq » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

MUDHEN336 wrote:Does anyone know anything about this item? Do the tracks roll? Is it sturdy enough to be played with or is it purely a display piece? I would like to get one but I would prefer to be able to play with it a little and not just have it collect dust on the shelf.

If you want to play with it, the Heng Long 1:16 RC King Tiger is made for it and for much less money. You also have the option to upgrade to metal track, metal wheels, more powerful motor ..etc.. All this will cost less than FoV King Tiger. I have the RC 1:16 Tiger 1 and KV1 from Heng Long and love them.

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I know it is expensive but I like the fact that it is all metal. I'm hoping that the hatches will be more sturdy and I like that it is heavy. I just hope the treads function and nothing is fragile.

--John Wayne

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 pm

The treads do move along with the running gear . It is pretty durable but with the pot metal that it is made of if you drop it you will have a heart ache.

I have had 3 of the K-2s and one of the Tiger 1 and they were all stout. Too bad I have sold them all . :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

YT

Post by YT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for the info and pics. Does anyone have a picture of the 1/16 King tiger next to a 1/18 tank. I know it's going to be off but I was hoping to see how much. Thanks in advance for the help!

--John Wayne

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:02 pm

MUDHEN336:

I got a new FOV 1/16 Peiper King Tiger from a fellow member who got it from Pickelhaube about two years ago.
I've been monitoring ebay prices on the Peiper King Tiger---the most expensive I've seen is $1,763 for a new one in 2012. The last one went for $1,142 two weeks ago.
They ain't cheap. :shock:

P.S.---Do you have any connections to the 4th TFW at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina?.........I'm originally from NC.

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Yeah they are expensive. I have wanted one for a long time and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just have to find one from a reputable seller. And yes I flew with the 333FS and 336FS from Seymour Johnson in the late 90s early 2000s. NC is a great place to live.

--John Wayne

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:48 pm

MUDHEN336:

I think ebay is your best bet. I assume you're scanning ebay already.
In case you're not aware of it, when Peiper was sentenced to death for the Malmedy Massacre, Secretary of the Army Kenneth C. Royall ordered an investigation into Peiper's trial which found he received an unfair trial which resulted in Peiper not being executed.
Royall was a native of Goldsboro and his son, Kenneth C. Royall, Jr., was a prominent state legislator in my hometown of Durham.
It's cool that you used to be at Seymour Johnson. I've tried for years to get Hobby Master to release Chuck Yeager's F-4D Phantom when he was the 4th TFW commander during the Vietnam War, but Hobby Master won't due to Yeager's copyright problems.
Good luck in finding a King Tiger.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:20 am

I saw FoV 1:16 King Tiger Michael Whitman on ebay brand new for ~ $700 and there are few of them.

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am

cnq wrote:I saw FoV 1:16 King Tiger Michael Whitman on ebay brand new for ~ $700 and there are few of them.
Wittman had a King Tiger?!

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:17 pm

B17Fortress wrote:
cnq wrote:I saw FoV 1:16 King Tiger Michael Whitman on ebay brand new for ~ $700 and there are few of them.
Wittman had a King Tiger?!
sorry I take that back, only the Tiger 1, not King Tiger.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:15 am

I have the 1/16 king tiger forces of valor and the tank is not full metal. The only metal parts are the turret with gun barrel,tow ropes,the tracks(not the wheels) and half of the projectiles.I would said that 75% of the tank is plastic.
It weights 14 pounds not 50 pounds like some sellers on ebay add to the description.
50 pounds is when is inside the heavy wooden crate double box with books,accessories fuel barrel figures tank barriers etc. The tracks are made just like pickelhaube mention in a metal that can brake if it gets a hard impact sometimes during shipping like it happen to me.Luckily the spare tracks work as repair tracks.
I sit my 1/18 German tanker figures and the legs of the figures don't bend good enough to sit the in a way that they can be displayed inside the driver compartment of the tank.
Also the head of the figure hits the roof of the compartment preventing the hull from closing.I tough about lowering the seat but the tank is collectable and it may ruin the value. The figures do fit on the turret.
The tank is highly detailed weathered so it will make your other tanks look like toys unless you custom paint all the tanks or displayed them separate.
If you want real full metal tanks mato asiatam makes Tiger 1,panzer III,stug III and elefant tank in a all metal version. There are no interiors but all crew hatch and engine hatch open. because they are all metal they weight 23-28 ponds depending on which tank you get. The range $400-$800 depending on which tank you get.

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Sorry to show my ignorance but you guys have said the tracks are metal. Is the entire track made of metal (ie metal actually contacting the ground) or is there plastic/rubber for the cleats of the tread?

--John Wayne

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Well, tried bidding on that Whitmann Tiger that was on eBay, but lost out in the last few seconds. Just couldn't justify going higher and $700+ is a bit to plunk down for a model. I mean, giant 1:6 scale tanks cost less than that!

However, I do have the M4 Sherman on the way. Those are still readily available. In fact, for anyone looking for one, The MotorPool has them on discount at $200 - less than half what Flying Mule and others that still have that tank are asking 8)

http://www.themotorpool.net/Unimax-Forc ... -s/121.htm
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

YT

Post by YT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I think the Sherman is their best model. The weathering is amazing and it is nearly all metal.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

MUDHEN336 wrote:Sorry to show my ignorance but you guys have said the tracks are metal. Is the entire track made of metal (ie metal actually contacting the ground) or is there plastic/rubber for the cleats of the tread?
The king tiger was the first in the series. The tracks are heavy but they don't feel as cold as the Sherman and the tiger 1. I never had a track break on my Sherman or my Tiger 1.
When the King Tiger track break they look porus material on the inside like a sharpening stone.I think they use a metal that is made by mixing some compounds not real metal that is strong and feels cold to the touch. That is only on the King tiger tracks.The other parts that i mention that are metal are real metal.
Looks like they learn there lesson and use real metal on the other two tanks tracks.
The tiger 1 has plastic Hull.
The Sherman is a really good deal,i bought 6 of them from motorpool on ebay.
It is the only tank they made with metal hull(at least the upper hull),turret,main gun,tow cable and tracks are made of metal.There is a good review of the Sherman on you tube.
All 3 tanks have detailed interior but only the king tiger has the removable turret and hull to better appreciate the details.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 pm

So I got my FOV 1:16 Sherman yesterday... Its easily the best tank in my collection, in any scale. Just amazed with the overall quality, detail, and thought that went into the model. Would love to get at least the FOV Tiger to go with it, but I'll just have to keep looking, be patient, and track one down at an OK price. Really, I should have gotten the KT and the Tiger when they were available at normal retail, but the $500 pricetag kept me away at the time.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Congratulations on your new (and hopefully not last) FOV 1/16 tank.
My only small complaints are the flesh paint on the figures is too bright---the figures on the FOV 1/16 Peiper King Tiger have a darker, more realistic flesh paint. Also, the wood crates have no weathering and look toy-like---the wood crates on FOV's older, much cheaper 1/32 tanks have weathering, so no weathering on the expensive 1/16 Sherman is blasphemy.
Did you get free shipping on your Sherman?

Also, this Youtube review of the 1/16 Sherman is really good.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfGlUizO8A

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:15 am

tmanthegreat wrote:So I got my FOV 1:16 Sherman yesterday... Its easily the best tank in my collection, in any scale. Just amazed with the overall quality, detail, and thought that went into the model. Would love to get at least the FOV Tiger to go with it, but I'll just have to keep looking, be patient, and track one down at an OK price. Really, I should have gotten the KT and the Tiger when they were available at normal retail, but the $500 pricetag kept me away at the time.
Where did you find yours? eBay? They are nice tanks!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 am

Does the FOV 1/16 Sherman have the detailed interior?

Can't imagine it does for the $200 price TMC has them for but pics through the commanders hatch shows something like an interior.

Tman:

There are a very few 1/6 tanks that are around $600 and the good ones are kits for that kind of price and those kits are nothing like the kits we are used to. Ever try to bend metal to fit involved shapes? AND then using weld or rivets or both? Those kits are a bear to complete and guys like me that can easily super glue their forehead to a table, must stay away from these. Garbage kits like Desimone's Sherman and T-34 can be had for $300 or less but they look like $2-300 kits.

Just got one of these partial kits (for a bridge version accessory of a 1/6 SdKfz 251) and I'm still staring at it trying to work up the courage to start bending metal.... :roll:

With the FOA Tiger, what you get is what you pay for. 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:47 am

THREETOUGHTRUCKS:

This Youtube video shows some of the interior of the 1/16 Sherman---the interior review starts around 16:42 elapsed time.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfGlUizO8A

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Informative video about the FOA Sherman. The amount of interior detail is awesome.

I ordered one of TMC's Shermie. EBay has a couple at the same TMC low price of $200 but TMC has shipping at half of what the eBayers are charging.

It will make a nice addition to my growing 1/16 collection.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 pm

All I can say is that I'm still just very happy with that FOV 1:16 Sherman. Its one of the few truly realistic items in my collection and one of the few where I can say it does everything save drive and shoot. Every penny of that $200 was well spent, IMHO.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:10 pm

At $200 that Sherman is an absolute steal!