wooden model tanks,confiscated in Germany by an MP

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

wooden model tanks,confiscated in Germany by an MP

Post by skorzeny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am

I was search on internet when I came cross this Forum Post .
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 59194&f=18

Wooden Model Tanks - German
Postby friedafred99 on 20 Oct 2009, 22:44

I have in my possession two wooden model tanks. They were confiscated in Germany by an MP with Patton's 11th Armored and sent home by mail to Illinois. Each one is approximately 11 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 6 inches tall. They both have turrets that move up and down, as well as cloth and wooden tracks (which have fallen apart). One has German writing that I am yet to translate. I am in the process of refurbishing them, as some of the parts have fallen off as the glue dried out over the last 65 years. The detail, including hatches, exhaust, external storage tanks, etc. (all in wood) is incredible Does anyone have any information about this type of tank. Were they toys for kids? Were they items a soldier/officer would have had?

If you follow this link, you can see the photos:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 869715aa63
Last edited by friedafred99 on 22 Oct 2009, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

1- German tank - before being put back together.
2- Russian tank - before being put back together
3-The print (in German) reads, roughly, that this is "for official service use only and any misuse is punishable."
4-Rodach Identification model of German Panzer IV - used by German military to train soldiers about the parts of the tank. The tracks and wheels do actually still spin, as do the ones on the Russian tank.
5-Rodach Identification model of Russian T-34 tank, also used to train German soldiers about the parts of the tank.
6-Two of the three Rodach ID model boxes I possess. Notice that these were used to send Nazi memorabilia back to the states to my uncle's parents.
7-One of the two 88mm. tank shell boxes I possess. Just like the Rodach ID boxes, these were used to send home Nazi memorabilia.

Other post about wooden tank ( perfect panther )

Re: Wooden Model Tanks - German
Postby Sander D on 20 Nov 2009, 22:56

Hi friedafred99,

Nice wooden panzer models

I wan't to share with you guy's 2 picture from old e-bay sale .
The pictures showing a wooden panther tank.
In text of the sale was stated that it was a gift to a german general.

Hope they are of some interest .

Postby Sander D on 20 Nov 2009, 23:04

I also came across this one ( old e-bay sale )

A wooden kingtiger.

I can't tell you if these wooden models where used as toys for big guy's or like kstdk said used as training models .

Annyway they look realy nice ,and they where made with great care,and with fine details like the panther tank

Postby Robert Livingston on 16 Mar 2012, 02:14

According to information on http://www.mikes-tanks.com/RecognitionModels.htm, the model shown below is not Rodach, but by an unknown maker. A photo shows the underside without any manufacturer's mark. However, my model does have a decal which reads AGE. I do not know to what maker this refers. I bought this model at an antique store many years ago and I do not know how it got there.

This is an instructional or ID model used to instruct troops in the German armed forces during WWII. Scale is 1/20. It is a good model of a pre-production Panther tank; however, it includes a later cupola, and a later MG mount added to the front plate (now missing). The legend on the front pate translates (roughly): "This is an official object. Misuse is punishable." Obviously the authorities were aware these models were at risk for being taken home for the Feldwebel's' kids to play with.

More about http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 59194&f=18

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: wooden model tanks,confiscated in Germany by an MP

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Those maybe training aids to teach the German soldiers vehicle recognition. As far as restoring them, I would leave them as they are. You may end up actually decreasing the value of them, if you restore them.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 pm

So by displaying/playing with our 1:18 and 1:16 scale German WWII tanks, we are actually continuing a tradition started in Nazi Germany of playing with small scale models of Panzers :P

In any event, those models do look neat :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:15 am

Yes you are indeed lucky to own them.

The only work I would do to them is stick back the original parts that have fallen off then leave it alone.

Don't even dust it off if you can.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:23 am

Agreed. Leave them alone. I understand the desire to restore them but you will only decrease the value and you would ultimately destroy a historical artifact.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."