18 AC display makeover- not too fancy

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 18 AC display makeover- not too fancy

Post by mikeg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:22 pm

thanks. I think you just get bored seeing the same thing all the time. Sometime its just the wood you have laying around, plus a sheet of plywood every once in a while, jigsaw, screws, saw and a miter box (sp)?

The old display really wasn't bad I guess, but it was just too crowded; same problem with the P-51's and 109's- 8 or 9 of one type is really cramped- I'd like to do more like the 47's, but room prevents that in that space. Plus, the display should start a couple of feet off the ground so you don't have to bend your middle aged knees to see the 3 of any type closest to the ground

Oh, I forgot, the shelves are adjustable, of course, just a couple of screws on both sides, but sometime you just need a change

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Ok, I'm done. Some sanding, filling in the holes and spraying white, and I leave things alone for a bit.

I still could use one of these, gently used....paypal offered

Shomare
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Shomare » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 am

Great work on those shelves! In the second or third to the last post, your design has the two very skinny posts (in back), with the planes heavily exposed for viewing. How are they stabilized? Doesn't look like you used a cross member between the two at the top. They are just free standing straight off the base right? Did you incorporate them into the bottom 3-4" lift and that, along with the plywood base top sheet keeps them stable?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm

mikeg wrote:dang. What......does everyone else keep their stuff under their bed or something? :?
I've had the fortune of salvaging retail shelving at my various remodel sites saving them from the dumpster and a landfill. Grocery store fixtures come in handy....

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Shomare wrote:Great work on those shelves! In the second or third to the last post, your design has the two very skinny posts (in back), with the planes heavily exposed for viewing. How are they stabilized? Doesn't look like you used a cross member between the two at the top. They are just free standing straight off the base right? Did you incorporate them into the bottom 3-4" lift and that, along with the plywood base top sheet keeps them stable?
The rear supports just slide into cutouts at the rear of the plywood base, but screwed into the bottom 2x4s- I did add some more screws tonight, tightened everything up, side to side. I also added an upper crossmember, it frames things a little better.

ImageImage
Axis Nightmare wrote:I've had the fortune of salvaging retail shelving at my various remodel sites saving them from the dumpster and a landfill. Grocery store fixtures come in handy....
Yep, I'll scrounge whatever I can find and hopefully use it later. Also, no matter what you have, someone always has a few you dont :roll: :roll:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 am

I like your new display stand !

The Falcons... not so much.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:51 am

I do like the minimalist idea of seeing as little of a fixture and more attention to planes. My bulky retail shelves are distracting. I'm assuming you don't have cats? Even my dog is clumsy enough to clip the lower shelves of the display rounding a corner....or me for that matter :!: Don't see much margin for unintentional movement. 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:38 pm

pickelhaube wrote:The Falcons... not so much.
- well who else is there down in these parts?
Axis Nightmare wrote:I'm assuming you don't have cats?
- We have two cats; they've lost interest, though. I did find one of the avengers laying on the concrete on day, minor repairs necessary- no one fessed up.
Axis Nightmare wrote:Don't see much margin for unintentional movement.
You know apart from a pretty good quake in Charleston a couple of hundred years ago and that occasional noise from the New Madrid fault, my shelving has done fine.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

done with this one, as time allowed. I sanded, spackled, and painted a little better than the earlier ones. I also found a Jabo to mount on the top in the middle of the p-47 display

the 109's and p-51's are too crowded- not even considering the new p-51 and mig-15 schemes available straight out of china. I guess I'll just make new displays to show from the side, without considering schemes I might never get

the old stuka display is looking tired and rough compared the p-47, only displays from the front with a tilt either wayImage

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:19 pm

You know what Home Depot has these cheapey shelf hangers for about $2 each and they say can hold 100lb each .

Take one of your standing 2x4 off from side and use the shelf hangers on the other and you planes will be 100 out in the open and you will not have to re configure anything.

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 am

Yeah, I probably do need to get out of the usual rut, broaden my horizons a bit and try something new.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

sheets of half inch birchwood seem to be thick enough and look nice enough for shelving; but its 37.00 a sheet a Lowes instead of 19.00 for flimsier, rougher sheets

the 109s ended up too close together-maybe an extra 2 inches on new shelves between props and tail
ImageImage

the birchwood sheets seem to work well with the xtra weight in the 21st 262's
[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/usernamemdg/media/IMG_0336_zpsfraj8ic8.jpg.html]Image
i need to remember to chock the 262's, also

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes, that birch ply is pricey even at Home Depot. I have five sheets in my garage right now to build shelves in my living room. Used it to build cabinets and shelves in my man tent (too small for a real cave, about the size of 4-man tent) as well as a PC desk and countertop. Plus bookshelves. All my armor is displayed atop the new cabinets and on select bookshelves.

They do handle the weight and they look nicer than the cheaper wood, though. You could save money buying the cheap stuff, but if it were me I be spending time instead of money on sealing that stuff up enough so it will paint nice and not look like I made it out of scraps from a construction site, and I have enough things to do already.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:05 pm

I started with the cheaper stuff, I understand- I've done the shelving several times, believe me