JSI Merit ME-262 "Edelweiss" 1:18

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI Merit ME-262 "Edelweiss" 1:18

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 am

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Jnewboy

Re: JSI Merit ME-262 "Edelweiss" 1:18

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am

The paint job does look good. Years ago I did a custom one like this. I did it because I liked the paint job but as I got into researching it I found more work that had to be done.

First of all this paintjob is to a Me-262 A-2 (Fighter Bomber)
Remember that Hitler ordered them to be bombers not fighters. While most of the Luftwaffe ignored that order and began planning them for fighter use they still had to make a Fighter Bomber squadron to officially comply with Hitler.

This project was given to KG-51, that is also where this plane is from. "Red B" as it is called is a Me-262 A-2, the main difference from the Me-262 we all know and love is that it carried two bombs on two pylons underneath, like the option given by 21st Centuries Me-262 Night Fighter (Bombs or Fuel Tanks) The second difference is two of its 30mm guns were removed from the nose and the holes covered.

So my question is will this new Me-262 come with the historically accurate changes to make it correct? or will it be simply the fighter version with a cool but incorrect paintjob?

This is what mine looked like way back in the day.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Well, it probably won't have a pilot :roll: and a list price of $156.00 :shock: Do they want us to buy them or
are they trying to scare us off?

By the way Jon, I like your version better.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Isn't the plane's actual number 9K+BN, with all but the large red "B" being small and black?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm

"Red B" also came out in 21st Century Toys 1:32. Toys R Us Exclusive I do believe.

I have one in storage, but it looks more like Jnew's 262.

Can't seem to find a pic of one. :?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:27 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ultimate-So ... 7675.l2557

This is the one AlloySkull listed for sale back on January 15, 2012:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:33 am

Yikes! :shock: Forgotten how gaudy looking that one was. :lol:

Not as nice as Jnew's obviously.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I like seeing a new repaint on what was the 21c ME-262 tooling. Its a unique scheme and the weathering could be a neat touch - if done right.

But I have some qualms...

The original 21c version retailed for around $75-$80, so we're talking about it nearly doubling in price.

For me at least, the 21c ME-262A tooling was problematic. It's detail was lovely, but it had a few drawbacks with certain parts being fragile. I went through two planes until the 3rd one held up without issue. That was on the 21c plane - so I'm a bit afraid of what could happen with JSI. They have just as spotty of a QC record...

Then there's that nasty seam behind the cockpit (on the ME-262A model) where they covered over the 2nd seat that went with the ME-262B. That seam always looked sloppy and killed the smooth look the fuselage should have had. Unless JSI completely re-vamps the tooling, I can see this having a lot of the same issues as the 21c plane.

Plus, I'm also a bit jaded with my recent purchase of the JSI F-86. A nice plane through and through, but really only a duplicate of something that was already in my collection.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Here is the actual plane.

I modeled mine off other models I had seen, I found this photo latter afterward. It almost looks like its a green or dark grey camo net over the top, not the light one like mine and others.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm

I think it will be a great chance for newer collectors to get a sweet Me-262!

The model still captures those beautiful shark-like lines.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 pm

A little up date on this release Merit has sold out of the first run they received. We took 20 and sold out in less than a week. I was able to get 6 more just before Merit ran out of stock. they are hoping to get some more sometime in February but they cant confirm they will. I hope this is a good thing for the hobby. Producers take notice when items sell out fast.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey all, as of yesterday, Sprue brothers has these for 109.00 plus an automatic Christmas discount of 11.00 more off so it comes out at less than 100.00. ( for those thinking about getting one)

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 am

If anyone is looking for an Edelweiss, Monkey Depot has them in stock.....

http://www.monkeydepot.com/JSI_1_18_1_1 ... si0018.htm

dogbongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dogbongo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 am

My Edelweiss Me-262 just arrived - opinion follows:

The old 21st 262 is one of my favorite 1/18's - but it took a few tries to get one that wasn't a train wreck. There are still flaws in the new one, but it's a win overall. The paint is a complex scheme more suited to a pro-modeler, so I'm impressed it came out this sharp. It doesn't look quite 'authentic' but it does look just like the photos from Merit/JSI. The pad printing looks sharp. The weathering is very well done, about as good as the Dauntless.

The only letdown is the cockpit - 21st C's very detailed gauges & the fabric seatbelts are gone, along with the pilot. And while there aren't any glaring gaps in the fuselage this time, the panel lines for the 2nd canopy hinges are still there. But no globs of glue, no fingerprints on the canopy, and you do have to look closer to see where the 2nd cockpit would be, where the 21st versions were so sloppy, it was hard to miss.

Assembly is much easier. It's been a few years, but if memory serves there was an ordeal involving the main landing gear, two wings, a plastic truss, and a screwdriver. This time, wings are pre-built as one piece. Putting the plane together was quick & easy.

While not a new mold, much better QC gives the plane (IMO) cleaner lines and a sleeker look. The gun access hatches actually close all the way.

If you're on the fence & a fan of the 262, I would say pick this one up.

Even more opinion:
I'm sorry that the armor guys have been largely left out, but as slow as it is, these post-21st C 1/18 releases have been pretty impressive. The handfull of planes I've added in the past year or so (Black Knights F-14, Coral Sea Dauntless, Black Devil 109, & this Me-262) are among the best in my collection. Wasn't that long ago, I didn't expect to see any repaints or new planes at all.

Thanks Merit, keep it coming
"... be man enough to sign your name to it, not hide in annonimity. And use spell check." ~ onWu

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Mon May 12, 2014 8:56 pm

G’day All

Sadly I’ve been MIA for quite a while, although I have been sniffing around the edges of the site from time to time my 1/18th collecting has been very limited.

Anyway I finally decided to get a copy of Rotte Bruno (or its that Rotte Berta) which is way, way expensive down here by the way.

The biggest disappointment for me on this repaint is the asymmetric fuselage crosses (at least this is how it is on my copy), which is something I’m finding very hard to live with.

21st did this on the original Stuka release which I had the repair, and on my copy of the Rotte 3 Fw190D there were different size cross on either side of the fuselage which I have also had to fix..

As for the 262, I have already made up some artwork to try fix the asymmetric issue, and I am now investigating what paint will best match up with the base green.

In regards to the lack of instrument panel detail I plan to put together some artwork to fix this as well.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Just took a look at photos of the actual product on The Flying Mule's website. You aren't kidding about the fuselage insignia being off. 21c did that on a couple examples - the S1 Stuka and 610 Squadron (DWK) Spitfire come to mind - but I find that sort of error to be almost inexcusable on a $130 model. Same with leaving out the instrument details in the cockpit. I have my 21c ME-262A and ME-262B Nightfighter plus my Admiral Toys version. I'll stick with those...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."