posted some cool pictures from an aircraft junkyard

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

posted some cool pictures from an aircraft junkyard

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am

https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom?ref=hl

pics from Planes of fame & Yanks Museum also Edwards air base.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: posted some cool pictures from an aircraft junkyard

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Planes of Fame has a very cool junkyard 8) I'd love to know where they found all those wrecks.

But at Edwards AFB, you missed the really cool stuff out in the desert:

That's a scanned copy of a photo I took in October 1998 (which I found on this forum from a post I made in 2005). I was camping out with my Boy Scout troop in the South Base area of Edwards AFB while we attended the airshow there. I'm not sure if the USAF allows that anymore in this post-9/11 world...

Our campsite was located near an old rocket sled track and there were all sorts of long-forgotten bunkers and control rooms that we had unlimited access to. It was a blast exploring those. A little further out in the desert from where we camped, there was a gutted B-58 Hustler one could climb all over and about a mile away from that even further into the desert were a couple scrapped B-52s! These were early B-52Bs with the manned tail gun positions. The one pictured was the most complete, though missing the tail and engine nacelles. The other plane was cut into sections. While they were basically gutted, you could climb throughout the aircraft & get a good sense of the interior layout. I believe these are still there - you can find pictures on Google maps :wink:

My name is carved somewhere on that B-52 (along with hundreds of others) and I took home a 3x3 foot section of the wing that had been cut off - which I still have to this day 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Very cool!

snake

Post by snake » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 pm

The boneyards are pretty impressive, with all sort of aircraft types. Be great to just wander through them.

And tman, very cool to have such a large piece of an actual B-52. 8)

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 am

t-man cool pics. love to see more.

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 am

i live in tucson you should see all the bone yards here in and and d/m air base the non military yards are full of long forgton planes and copters. wepons and wepon systems all over the place. we also have a missile silow and a large air museum pima air and space. they have things i have not seen from my navy day s. brings back killer good memories.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:16 pm

@ rudedog I posted some pics from a trip to Tucson.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

rudedog wrote:i live in tucson you should see all the bone yards here in and and d/m air base the non military yards are full of long forgton planes and copters. wepons and wepon systems all over the place. we also have a missile silow and a large air museum pima air and space. they have things i have not seen from my navy day s. brings back killer good memories.
Pima Air Museum is awesome! Extremely huge collection - I think second only to the USAF museum in Dayton, OH. I've been there a couple times, first in 1992 and again in 2009. Didn't take the bus tour of the Davis-Mothan AFB boneyard the last time I was there, though is on the list of things to do...

When I was a little 11-year-old in 1992 visiting the museum for the first time, I was fascinated with the B-17 they have, which was then under restoration. I was able to sweet-talk a couple of the old veterans to let my younger brother and I have a walk-through of the plane. Got to sit in the pilot seat, ball turret, swing the .50 cal MG in the waist section, and best of all, go into the nose and look through the Norden bombsight. 20+ years later, that still ranks as one of the best aircraft tours I've ever had. The fully restored B-17 is currently a very nice display giving visitors a practical walk-around tour :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Speaking of Museums and B-17s if you ever make it to Polk City, Florida you should definitely check out Fantasy of Flight. They have a B-17 inside all rigged out like a movie set. Once you enter through the tail section your blasted with air and sound effects as if your airborne. The sounds of gun fire from M-2 .50 caliber machine guns follows soon after. As you cross through the bomb bay compartment below is a large projection screen which at first is completely hidden until it eventually surprises you with video of the doors opening up over Berlin. Bombs fall and the doors close. Almost looks & feels too real. lol Once up at the cockpit you can hear radio chatter of the pilot and copilot radioing in to other B-17s in the fleet. Got to see to believe it.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 am

How long has that been there? I used to live in Orlando and would drive over to Tampa/St. Pete to see metal shows quite a bit and could have stopped in - although that was long before 21C came along and I wasn't actively into this hobby then...

Still would have checked it out.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:53 am

posted a pic of a corsair in the ocean. the ocean is still the ultimate bone yard.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 am

when i lived in daytona beach fla i dove on many airplane wrecks the air port there started out as a military air base for training in w w 2. many a plane ditched in the ocean also ship s torpedoed of the coast. i worked for a paving co that did some work on a run way and dug up a live 500 pound bomb that was a fun day.

dogbongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dogbongo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Great thread & good stories! (I say keep 'em coming)

I can 2nd the Fantasy of Flight/B-17 experience. I was there years ago, thinking it was a fluke "well, this is awesome - only a matter of time before they close it to the public".

I just checked the website and yeah, you can still walk through it. If you're a fan of the B-17, I can't recommend this enough.

It also helped that the day I was there, a Short Sunderland landed on the lake just outside the museum.

Great place.
"... be man enough to sign your name to it, not hide in annonimity. And use spell check." ~ onWu

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Great topic!!
Aviatornut.com wrote:posted a pic of a corsair in the ocean. the ocean is still the ultimate bone yard.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
How true...... Image

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Fantasy of Flight has been around for quite a while now. Not really sure on the years. The diner is the first thing you see as you walk in. Certainly takes you back in time. Its like a little Disney World on flight. Pictures alone cannot justify the experience in my honest opinion.

Parachute your way out of a plane.

Walk through the trenches of WWI.

There is also a flight simulator exhibit too.

They also sponsor car shows and other events.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

I got a chance to go to fantasy of flight and even got to meet mr.weeks and I must say its a great museum

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey guys,

Live in Tampa and have taken my son to Fantasy of Flight several times over the years. Simply a great place to go check out aircraft There's also another museum over in Largo (Armed Forces Military Museum) that's a great place go check out as well. While I wasn't too impressed when I first went there a few years ago, when I took my son and his friend this past Memorial day I was thoroughly impressed. First was the Mig-21 parked right in the parking lot as you drive in and also the M8 Greyhound that you can ride in. Yes, ride in. We went on what was a muddy day and the two boys and myself had a ball!

I too lived in Daytona for about 12 years and if you're careful there are military relics everywhere. I remember driving out to a house where in the backyard was a mini helicopter boneyard. Had to tread lightly as not too many people knew about it and rumor had it the guy wasn't too fond of a guys from Embry-Riddle sneakin' around like we were but we did.

John

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 am

john do you know where bcc is if so that was the training and living quarters for years i worked for the city as a heavy equipment operator for many years we would did up all kinds of things from intact soda bottles to live and spent ammo in all cilibers.

dogbongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dogbongo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Sad to post this, but Fantasy of Flight is closed to the public. Now only open to group & private event rentals.

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/about-us ... s-journey/
"... be man enough to sign your name to it, not hide in annonimity. And use spell check." ~ onWu

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm

i believe they've opened a smaller public area now