How about showing your collection

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: How about showing your collection

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 am

Aren't we all changing our display constantly. Especially us 1/6ers. Every time I get a new "toy", something has to be moved around to display it. :roll:

Still looking for space for my latest cannon. Cannons have long trails that take up as much room as a tank,...... almost.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:22 am

I am with you on that brother. Every time I get a new piece I have to move things around, take things down it's a vicious cycle. I dream of having a larger room to display everything I have (maybe in the future after retirement). I started by collecting naval ships and 1/72 scale planes back when my dad was in the navy. Then I started collecting 1/18 scale cars and things just flew from there. I have way too much to display and have to move things into storage before my room becomes one large storage bin. My wife tolerates my collection so I try and keep away from the subject because I know it's an obsession that she does not understand. My son has no interest in collecting, which makes my wife very happy. My other problem is time, between work, my son's sports and everyday life, time is at a premium. I have a lot of projects in he wings.
Last edited by rschaap on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Retirement is no cure for finding time for projects. Spoken from one who knows. Projects never ends, and family and friends commitments never ends. Never.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 am

I have heard that from more than one of my retired friends. My career is almost at an end and I will have to see how things play out. On the bright side, since there has been a slow down in 1/18 scale I have actually started an inventory on the things I have. Because of the size of my collection I have run into something that I am sure a lot of collectors run into. I have been finding double and triple of things I had no idea I had. I believe it stems from that point in time when Walmart, Target and TRU were selling off their inventory of 1/18 scale military models. I look at the doubles and triples as future repaints. Only the future knows for sure.........
Last edited by rschaap on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:32 pm

:shock: Very impressive collection! Of all what you have, I'd be glad to buy your 1/6 BBI F-15 cockpit. Not only to look through it behind the pilot, on my own (small) BBI 1/18 aircraft collection as I could fly with...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:44 pm

For years, I had one 10x12 room to display my stuff in. To keep things neat, I had only six planes hanging, a couple more on a display table, then a few more stored in cupboards and the closet - and several shelves filled with the small diecast items. The bulk of my collection was stored in an attic and I rotated items through as the need came up.

Then I bought my own 3 bedroom house in 2012. I'm the only person living there, as after the college experience, have no desire for a roommate. One would think that moving from less than 120 square feet of display/storage space to about 1,300 would give me all the space I ever needed and then some. But, not quite :lol:

Still, I was able to get about 75% of my collection out on display at once, including all the major 1:18 items, which is perfectly good for me. I don't completely want to "forrest" the ceilings with 1:18 planes and the tables & shelves with tanks, but at least keep a somewhat sensible display going... As my brother likes to say, I've turned my entire house into a man-cave of sorts (well, really a couple rooms at best). But I still find myself thinking of how to work in the next new item, whether its a tiny 1:72 scale diecast plane or a large 1:6 scale vehicle.

Here's a few photos recent photos... Please excuse the odd proportions and focus - I was trying out the panoramic feature on my iPhone :wink:

The Study:

That would be my dog at the bottom of the picture.

The Bedroom:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 am

Nice collection Tman!!!
Its interesting how quickly one can fill a space in this hobby and if you stick with
1:6 you'll be adding an addition on to your haus real soon. :wink:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am

Nice collection T .

You need to get those 1/6 tanks of the floor onto a table.

Chunks . WOW that is a lot of eye candy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by pickelhaube on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Bloody Hell !! i am having convulsions over that collection Chunks...Well Done Mate very impressive :D

:p51: :hornet: :blueangel:

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:30 am

rschaap wrote:I am with you on that brother. Every time I get a new piece I have to move things around, take things down it's a vicious cycle. I dream of having a larger room to display everything I have (maybe in the future after retirement). I started by collecting naval ships and 1/72 scale planes back when my dad was in the navy. Then I started collecting 1/18 scale cars and things just flew from there. I have way too much to display and have to move things into storage before my room becomes one large storage bin. My wife tolerates my collection so I try and keep away from the subject because I know it's an obsession that she does not understand. My son has no interest in collecting, which makes my wife very happy. My other problem is time, between work, my son's sports and everyday life, time is at a premium. I have a lot of projects in he wings.
I could not have said it better. Same things you describe are what is happen to me.
Seems to me that i am collecting this things for my personal enjoyment.
Not enough room or space for displaying,time and commitment are getting on the way so i hardly complete any hobby projects and spend more time on ebay and forums that my own collections.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Very nice collection, and set up, tman. 8)

Nice to have the room to display them properly, and agree with you about spacing and not just displaying everything at the same time. Sometimes less is more. :wink:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:38 pm

rschaap wrote:...Because of the size of my collection I have run into something that I am sure a lot of collectors run into. I have been finding double and triple of things I had no idea I had...
Long before I started collecting military models, my mom and I collected books; mostly paperbacks. We hit the used shops in every town we passed through looking for specific genres and authors. My specialty is SF, Fantasy, and Horror from the 1940's up but predominately from the 50's-70's.

My mom would often come home with several books she had already picked up on a previous run. I resorted to carrying a small notebook with the name of every book I owned written in it along with all publishing info in case I found an earlier edition. In the modern era I use an Access database I created. Done that as well with my movie and tv show collections.

If you don't want to tackle creating a database, Excel or any other spreadsheet is also a simple way of keeping track of a collection.

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Rylau » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

That's funny about the book collection. I also did SF/ Fantasy/ Sword & Sorcery. Have about 5,000 books and digests. I put them all on index cards cross referenced by tittle and author. OCD That was before computers. Now all my toys are on Word. The books are all put away in cartons because the toys took over. Just like we all rotate our toys from time to time I rotated my hobbies. Gives us all something to do when it's not football season.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 am

Who was that guy that bought an old elementary school to display his VAST COLLECTION ?

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Who was that guy that bought an old elementary school to display his VAST COLLECTION ?
P47faninchicago?

and

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... hp?t=19281

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Matt,

I believe P47faninchicago has more photos on this other post. Quite impressive.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... n+pictures

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah... that's the guy.

Too bad he does not come around anymore.

Perhaps the biggest XD mancave known to mankind .

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D
Last edited by pickelhaube on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Tman:

Nice collection but I see a calendar in there that looks very familiar! :)

-Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Greetings:

Here are a couple of photos of my collection. Some stuff is in storage so not everything is displayed.

These photos were taken during Christmas so a mini tree is displayed in this room featuring all the Hallmark Sky's The Limit Airplane ornaments. Also in this photo is my Authentic Models Gee Bee, my Authentic Models Boeing 314 Clipper, my 1/32 Dauntless Corsair and Wildcat, my 1/18 Corsair and my 1/18 Gee Bee Z. The plane next to the Gee Bee is a metal Albatros biplane that belonged to my grandfather.

The pride of my collection are my two 1/18 Dauntless dive bombers. Also shown are my two BBI Phantoms.

Some good things in this picture. My Authentic Models Ford Trimotor (next to it is an authentic Ford Trimotor sales brochure from 1928). Also my very rare Cox Curtiss Pusher control line airplane, my Cal Cutie P-38, Donald Duck P-51 and my Pearl Harbor Zero.

Another important piece of my collection is my Blue Angels Hornet. An old built Eastern DC-3 and Miss America P-51 are on a shelf. In the display cases are Hallmark Legends In Flight planes and homemade planes my grandfather and I made together (they were posted in photos awhile back). On the lower shelf are my only Franklin Mint planes, the two unusual PA ANG 111th Fighter Wing A-10's. A very unusual large handmade metal Wright Flyer is on the one shelf as well.

In storage includes a spare 32X Corsair, a Sakai Zero, a Marines Dream Corsair...a recently acquired Stuka did not make it together in time for the photos.

-Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

Nice collections and displays T and Corey
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Nice to see your collection, Corey.

Tastefully displayed.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:43 am

Both of your collection are sweet.

I like those Pizza Man's stands on the Dountleses.

:D :D :D

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:26 pm

I will be posting some new photos of my collection in a few days.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:38 am

WOW!! Great collections!
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

ATL_Matt
Private First Class
Private First Class

A few 1/18 aircraft in the display rooms

Post by ATL_Matt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Great collections!! Love to see what everyone else has done. Posted some of these I think but here is my modest 1/18 collection in my ship display area. Large scale ships are my primary interest but love the aircraft as well. Matt