1/18 FW TA-183 Huckebein?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 FW TA-183 Huckebein?

Post by normandy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm

The canopy looks great! Things are coming together nicely and let us know when you start
taking orders and payment on these kits.

Image 8)

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Who's interested in the Phase 1 build?

This will include: Fuselage, wings (assembled), Elevator wing, Intake, Exhaust and Canopy. Mixture of vinyl stencils or water slide decals.

Kit= You clean off any flashing, fill and sand any imperfections, paint, decal, etc. Everything you would expect when building a kit.

Painted= I do all the work.

Kit= $195.00 + Shipping
Painted= $270.00 + Shipping

I have decided on this paint scheme. Not to complicated. Any guess on the RLM #'s.

The project is at a complete standstill until I get some funds coming in. My Ebay projects are pumping dust. I will get a completed Phase 1 model done before I take any money. I just need to get an idea where I stand on interest.
I can do as Matthew has done in the past and set up a payment plan schedule.
You think this would qualify for a kickstarter project?

YT

Post by YT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm willing to pay up front if that helps. I trust you completely.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Like YT, I'll pay up front and when the kits are ready just let me know what the shipping is...I'd like two kits.
I've worked this way with Matthew over the years.

Here is a link of RML numbers and names...... http://rhorta.home.xs4all.nl/jgrlm.htm

Just wanted to ask if you'll be selling extra kits of X4 missiles? As in sets of four, I would like some for my Horten 229's.

Great job Nathan, great job!!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Count me in for one full build.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 pm

I will be buying two kits as soon as you are ready 8)

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 am

I'm good for two full builds,primer exterior.

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 am

"Any guess on the RLM #'s."

Found it, RLM #'s 76, 81 and 83.

scroll down to the set of 12 pictures of the finished plane.... http://www.kierat.de/modeling/luft45+/luft45+.htm

Normandy.

pvanroy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by pvanroy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 am

I'd be very hapy to upfront the cost for at least one full kit - I might actually end up taking two, but at least one definitely!

As far as colors go, it’s probably best to stick with late war Luftwaffe camo - which is actually more complicated than one might think. Standard colors would be RLM 81/82 top surfaces, and RLM 76 sides; the Sammelmitteilung from 1 Nov. 1944 stipulates that metal undersurfaces, wheel wells, internal areas (outside of the cockpit, which was to be RLM 66), etc of aircraft should remain unpainted, i.e. natural metal; only wooden and fabric-covered parts should retain a coat of 76 on the undersides. This is pretty much how late-production FW 190D and Ta 152 aircraft were finished.

In the case of the Ta 183, the wings and horizontal tail surfaces would have been of wooden construction, so they would have been painted 76 on the undersurfaces; the fuselage and vertical tail would have been metal, so these would likely have remained unpainted. However, in the case of the He 162, the rear fuselage was metal but it was usually still painted 76 on the undersides, because it represented such a small area and it wasn’t considered enough of a saving to not paint this small area. So, this thinking could also have applied to the Ta 183, in which case the entire aircraft would have been painted 76 on the undersides. Also, different production facilities had different practices and styles of applying camo, so there would likely have been scope for variability among airframes from different assembly lines. This would be further accentuated by the decentralized production of late-war aircraft, with subassemblies (fuselage, wings, tail) being constructed and painted in dispersed localities and being shipped to a central production facility (often in open air) for final assembly.

The matter of colors is also not as straight-forward as it may seem. Main camo top-side colors for late war aircraft are usually given as RLM 81: brown-violet; RLM 82: bright green; and RLM 83: dark green, with pairs of these colors usually being used together. However, recent research has shown that RLM 83, surprisingly, in fact was an underside blue color for Mediterranean aircraft, while 81 and 82 both apparently existed in brownish and greenish versions; for a more detailed discussion of the topic, see: http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.co. ... l/Bf109K-4

For the underside, matters aren’t that simple either. Late war RLM 76 tends to be lighter in color (often quite whitish) than earlier in the war. On top of that, many airframes are documented using either a yellowish or greenish-blue paint on the underside, or parts of it; these colors sometimes receive the spurious designations “RLM 84a” and “RLM 84b”, but in fact, no such color is officially known to have existed. It is generally believed that the yellowish or greenish color resulted from either poor mixing, or poor quality pigments of the RLM 76.

I’ve also had a look at your X-4 missiles and pylons – they look great, but there is a small omission on the pylons: in fact, they should have two small trailing arms into which the guidance wires for the missile are plugged in. The pylons themselves are simply modified ETC 70 racks – the same racks the FW 190F used for carrying 50 kg bombs under wing. I’m sorry for only now coming up with this – I’ve been very busy, and it’s been quite a while since I last visited the site.

In any case, fantastic work, and I’m absolutely looking forward to this!!!

Peter

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Please count me in for 2 Kits. But please regard that I´m out of order (because of a 3 week holiday trip) from the coming weekend on.

Real great work on that Huckebein :D
regards from Germany
Sven
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Count me in for one of the finished versions! Really excited this will become a reality :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ye Olde Finn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ye Olde Finn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi, I'll have one painted full build too, and pay up front.
BR, Juha.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:49 am

Any updates Pizzaguy?

8)

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 am

Since my last update I said cash was low. Well the order gods delivered. I have been making orders and the war chest is back up and funded. I am finishing my last set of landing gear this weekend.

I will have to focus on laying up the fiberglass parts and less on construction for a couple weeks. The primer I use for the molds has a lifespan of 3-4 month, which is getting close. At $80 a quart I don't want that going to waste.

I have the RLM 76, 81,82 and 83 paints. Has anyone used paints from Lowes? I had thought about taking a color sample from each bottle and seeing if they could color match a quart. It's going to get expensive buying the 2oz bottles.

Here's a couple of rough putty pics. I got the fiberglass fuselage put together, installed the intake and exhaust.
One small set back was the canopy I made from the plug didn't work out. I will have to make a new one.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Oh man that looks great!! and thats a cool avatar as well.

you got incoming....PM

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:24 am

You may want to re-consider the Lowes paint idea. I tried using Lowes paints . The colors were perfect but the paint clogs the air brush WAY TOO OFTEN.

Paint 3 seconds clean the tip. Paint 3 seconds clean the tip crazy aggravating.

I use a single action Paasche airbrush.

I think that I use the number 3 tip. ( I am not sure now :oops: :oops: :oops: ) but I turn the air pressure down to about 15 lbs.

I preshaded the panel lines black so I had to go thinner with the paint to actually show the effect thus using less paint.

I was able to use only about 3/4 of a bottle of the paint , per color. The light green I was using only about a half bottle.

The Horten was a lot bigger plane than the Goblin so if you control your airflow you should use about 1/2 bottle per color per plane.

I determined how much paint I was going to use and went down to my local hobby shop and asked if I buy this much will you give me a discount. HE DID !!!!!!!!!!

Rather than buy it off the shelf he put an order into his supplier and in a week I had my paint order at a discounted rate !!!

If I remember right I had

16 x bottles light blue
12 x bottles dk green
12 x bottles lt green
6 x bottles black
6 bottles white

I used automobile primer paint the light gray primer sealer from O'Reillys and Model Master paints and did not have any lifting problems as well.

Luckily I tried the Lowes paint on an earlier project and realized it was not going to work. Otherwise I would have had a big costly mess on my hands.

If you do not have a local hobby shop who is not willing to make a deal try and contact a dealer on e-bay they are always willing to make deals on bulk orders.

I worked out a deal with Jackson on my decals . I sent those with the kits I made .

But for my full builds I had templates stencils made for all of my insignias. A little fiddly at first but once I got the hang of it they were easy

My stencil maker was also able to make the dial faces for the instrument panel . Those were crazy easy to use and the way he made them they were just stick on stickers.

The decals worked out to about $350 for the project and the stencils cost about $140

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Matthew, Thank You for the intel. I was getting ready to run to Lowes. Caught me just in time.
When I am done getting the canopy re-framed, I will be ready for painting my first 183.

It's coming together slowly, I appreciate everyone's patience.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Does the Lowes paint resist thinning down enough to pass through without clogging? Is it an issue with the graininess of the pigment, maybe being more since they don't expect it to be applied with anything more delicate than a brush or industrial sprayer?

Is Home Depot the same?

abbadur
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by abbadur » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 pm

I am interested in one painted model full built - do you need a fund?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Does the Lowes paint resist thinning down enough to pass through without clogging? Is it an issue with the graininess of the pigment, maybe being more since they don't expect it to be applied with anything more delicate than a brush or industrial sprayer?

Is Home Depot the same?

Another way to use the Home Depot type paint is to cut it with Windex . It does work pretty good on armor were you would want a semi cast or fairly rough texture.

On aircraft you want a smooth finish so you just can't get the desired effect.

Lowes paint does seem to go down a little smoother than Home Depot paint .

In fact the perfect colored paint is good for touch ups and painting some of my pieces parts that I make but to use it on a full build would be a mistake.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Waiting for some putty to dry on the canopy.
Made some progress on the front gear doors. I have the landing gear Jay made to install. Then it is on to the cockpit.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Nice update!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Wow, thats going to look cool in 1:18 with gear down...

...now we'll need ground crew. :wink:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:42 pm

The gear doors look great !!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks guys, I am going to leave the ground crew up to someone else.