Product Review: Merit/JSI F-86F "Jabarra"

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Product Review: Merit/JSI F-86F "Jabarra"

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 pm

So I bit the bullet and got one of these. I do happen to like the F-86 quite a bit and this is #5 for the collection with two Admiral Toys F-86s and the two 21c planes... I didn't quite pay the full price as TheFlyingMule was offering free shipping and I had a 12% discount on pre-ordered items, which helped cut the costs a little. It came today and I've opened and assembled the plane. Here are my thoughts interspersed with a few pictures. Enjoy :D

The plane comes nicely boxed in a window box, but is well-secured with cardboard, and the traditional plastic tray and ties. Why 21c could never pack as well in a similar-style box is beyond me. The model is really kept safe in the JSI box.

As far as the model itself goes, it is nearly identical to the 21c F-86. Clearly 21c's old tooling has received new life and JSI copied every detail that was on that plane and added a little more. I always thought the F-86 was one of 21c's best aircraft models on account of its durability, functionality and looks - and the same pretty much holds for the JSI plane. There wasn't much they could improve on. No real need to go into all the working features as we've all been familiar with them for years. JSI did not leave off anything, even the cloth seat-belts.

Where the model does differ is that they put detail in the landing gear bay (see comparison pics below) added subtle weathering, included more stenciling, and had the yellow ID bands go all the way around the wing (which 21c inexplicably never did).

Paint application is overall good, though there some slight over-spray in some places... I like the weathering and different colored aluminum panels on the plane. Its generally realistic and makes the model look more professional. However, some of the spray on the left front gun ports on my plane got botched... Not cool. They also didn't paint the ammo magazines in the little compartment under the gun bay.

No figure included, but it does have intake and engine covers. I've got a spare F-86 pilot figure that I'll put in the cockpit. It comes with the drop tanks and sidewinders. JSI did a better job detailing the sidewinders - actually painting details like the gray tabs on the fins and the sensor tip. Would have been even cooler had they ditched the missiles and included a couple 500lb bombs as a new accessory. Sidewinders weren't used in Korea.

JSI F-86 Nose Gear Bay - new interior tooling
(note: I have not yet installed the fuselage screw covers)

21c F-86 Nose Gear Bay - interior comparison

Overall, I am a little underwhelmed with this release. $139 was too much for this - $100 or less would have been better. Heck, the JSI P-38 cost $90 and that has more plastic in it. The prices we paid for the 21c F-86s at Wal Mart and the small retailers 5-6 years ago were FAR, FAR BETTER. While I do like the improved paint details, weathering, and detailed gear bays, one really doesn't get much more than the old 21c tooling and on the JSI plane - and the pilot has been replaced with engine covers. JSI also still hasn't gotten their paint QC down to perfection. I think JSI may have also left some weights out of the nose, as the plane is a little tail-heavy. (Weighting the nose will not be a hard fix, though). I can't really say this is a must-get item, but if you like the F-86, want a plane with historical significance, or want some variety, it can be a good addition.

JSI and 21c F-86 Comparison
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Re: Product Review: Merit/JSI F-86F "Jabarra"

Post by snake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Great review, with pics, Tman.

And agree with you in regards to the price tag. While the JSI does have some minor improvements, hard to justify the price tag on this one.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Great review and pics Tman. I ordered one to support the cause and should arrive sometime soon, but I wont get to see it until I get back home at the end of the month. :-(

YT

Post by YT » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for the review, it looks like a great plane.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Greetings:

Great review tmanthegreat, as usual.

I agree on a lot of your points. I think the price is steep for this piece and has been for all the new releases (with the exception of the Dauntless which was just a masterpiece). I think the high prices are causing the pieces not to sell as well, look how many retailers have in stock the BBI F-16 and F-18, the Dauntless, the Huey and so on. The pieces certainly are not moving at the pace they once did years ago.

Not to go too off topic here but the fact you have 5 F-86's illustrates a point that I've thought about many times. With the large size of these pieces, unless you have a massive basement or mancave, people have to be running out of room in their collections. I know a lot of people do keep pieces in storage, but that too has its drawbacks in regard to space issues. I cant help but wonder if the 1/18 market is tapping out so to speak, especially since most of the new releases are pieces that most people already have. One does in fact have to wonder this. Especially given the Dauntless, which was a terrific piece, is still readily available. I remember the high demand pieces selling out quicker back in the heyday.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:21 am

I think that the high prices are what is killing the hobby. New people are not going to get very involved in a hobby that is so costly. Looking forward to each piece costing over $100 will prevent the hope of sizeable collections ever happening for the newbies. Most of us "old timers" have everything we want already. I would love a Dauntless, but can't justify the cost. The last thing I bought was a Hellcat for around $60.

I fully understand the reasoning for the high prices, but I think the manufacturers are pricing themselves out of the popular market.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:59 am

I think the prices are getting to where they should be for the current market. Comparatively speaking, the 1/72 scale diecast prices have also been on the rise. I remember paying $55 for the first Hobby Master A-10 that was released. Just yesterday I dropped near $80 on a pre-order for the next release of the Hobby Master A-10. Same mold, different paint scheme.

Now the dollar for dollar increase is not the same looking at the two scales, but let's face it, I think we all can agree that $40 was way way below what 1/18 scale should have been selling for to begin with.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

snake

Post by snake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Birddog wrote:I think the prices are getting to where they should be for the current market. Comparatively speaking, the 1/72 scale diecast prices have also been on the rise. I remember paying $55 for the first Hobby Master A-10 that was released. Just yesterday I dropped near $80 on a pre-order for the next release of the Hobby Master A-10. Same mold, different paint scheme.

Now the dollar for dollar increase is not the same looking at the two scales, but let's face it, I think we all can agree that $40 was way way below what 1/18 scale should have been selling for to begin with.

Pretty much agree with Birddog.

Especially with the $40 being far below what they should have been selling for in the first place.

The prices of basically all diecast models have been on the rise for the last year or two, and they are substantially more expensive than they used to be. Higher labour costs in China has been mentioned, but whatever the reason, they are not as good a deal as they used to be.

Think that this will cause a bit of a slowdown in the hobby, across the board. More established collectors { which I now regard myself as :wink: }, have to think about spending quite a bit more for a different scheme of an aircraft they already have a few examples of. As has been mentioned, Hobby Master is a perfect example. Models that were $55 just a couple of years ago, are $75 now. Know I have slowed down significantly, and any newcomers to the hobby have to pay quite a bit more per model, so most will probably purchase fewer models. Just the new normal, I guess.

JSI's dilemma is much the same, as their re releases are much more expensive than the originals went for, which was far below what they should have been priced at in the first place. New molds will do better, but the re releases are going to be a tough sell.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Although they probably won't do it, as they haven't really in the past, the companies still in the game need to listen more to the community as to what models to release and what schemes to clothe them in.

Really, if you're foolish enough to pump out yet another P-51 or ME-109 then it needs to either be one flown by a very renowned ace or a distinct paint job.

This isn't Pokemon, where you need to catch them all. If the scale manages not to collapse due to economies of size and price, things will definitely slow down. Newcomers to the hobby will not have huge collections of these things unless they win the lottery. Part of the reason I stuck with 1/32 was due to size, as I would only have been able to fit about 16 of the 1/18 planes in my man-cave whereas I have 35 planes right now and room for at least 20 more and that's including all the 2-engine bombers that have come out in the past year from Revell and HK Models. My room is only 12' x 13' with no room for displaying in anything but flight mode. What shelves I have are devoted to armor.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm

I think the analysis of Birddog and Snake are on the mark. Prices are going up everywhere (for whatever the reason) and the $40 planes we got at Wal Mart were easily $15-$20 below where they should have been several years ago. (Same thing is happening in major retail brands like Hasbro's Star Wars and GI Joe lines). The JSI/BBI/Merit planes are also being made in much smaller quantities per release than were the 21c planes, so that also drives up costs.

I want to say in many ways that the state of things is actually more "healthy" than it was during the Gold Age. Limited selection and higher prices is more indicative of true collecting, particularly in the toy soldier/militaria area. Not to come off as too condescending or whatever, but the cheap prices in the "Golden Age" brought a lot of people into collecting that should not have been there. They were able to collect and amass large collections, but really would not have had the capital to do so otherwise. In real "professional" toy soldier collecting (i.e. people who collect the K&C, Brittians, fancy 1:6 items, etc) things are very expensive, but have always been that way, even 10-15 years ago. Those who could afford $20 for a 1:30 scale hand-painted soldier figure did so, others who couldn't (like me) could only look on. But as in any hobby, if one has the capital and storage space, they can get whatever they want.

Where I think a problem lies is when we pay higher prices, but get a poor product in return. That will kill a market. Classic examples include the JSI F-14 with its spots and QC defects as well as the AllGo 1:32 P-51 and FW-190, which sold for twice the cost of the originals, had no pilots, came in the old 21c boxes, and had all the same (if not more) QC issues. Unimax FOV is also going that route with super-expensive 1:32 tanks that are practically unpainted and have no accessories. The new F-86 is not that exciting, but its not really a poor product. The Merit Dauntlesses were excellent products, as have been the recent BBI releases. If we were really getting something sub par for a high price - that would be real cause to gripe!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."