Is Merit crazy?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Is Merit crazy?

Post by sbd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 am

ATTL-MATT:

Beautiful displays.

Can you post closeup photos of each ship and identify each one?

Also, if you're not aware of it, here's a link to a ship model forum.

Link: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/

ATL_Matt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ATL_Matt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 am

Hi everyone. Thank you for the welcome from everyone who checked in. I don't want to derail this thread so I'll try and figure out a way to share my collection with you guys in another forum. I'm primarily on Steel Navy and MW but like I said, always swing by the see how the 1/18 world is progressing.

To the poster on Yamato, she (and Nagato as built which you can't see in the original shot but is at far right of the one below) are both 1/144 scale - about 7-8 feet in length. Yamato was built by Pat Matthews out of Michigan, Nagato by a "retired" SS officer hiding in Argentina in the 50's. The rest of the ships are 1/192 or 1/96. Dioramas are all 1/350.

As many of you said, there is something about well detailed fine scale models that allows you to go back and find something new - even after many years. After two decades, it never gets old. Here's another angle with a bit better view of some of the Yamato and some of the other ships...

Let me figure out an appropriate place to park a virtual tour or something and I'll post a link when I do. Might be awhile as I have 3 additions arriving in late September or October that have been 2 years underway.

Thanks again for all the kind words (and for a very understanding wife).

Cheers - Matt

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:13 am

Matt, those are some of the most amazing pieces I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever been more jealous of a collection. Looking forward to seeing more.

Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 am

Welcome aboard...and Holy Crap...those are freakin awesome. You have some spare room in that amazing house so I can move in...LOL :wink:
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Incredible stuff Matt :shock: :shock: :shock: and Pat does some incredible commissions.

If I lived in N. Fulton, you'd have to send me an invite :mrgreen:

See, now you're making me speed up my Nimitz build :mrgreen:

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Wow thats the best home display I have ever seen. It looks like its from a high end museum.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm

I couldn't agree more about the price point of kits as opposed to pre-built and painted. DML apparently has a better idea of what sells and for what. The 1/6th scale PAK 38 Anti Tank gun sold for as much as $300 (with one figure), but the kit was available for much less. I believe I paid $48 plus shipping and was able to add alot of detail not present in the pre-built version. Maybe Merit should take a lesson from them....?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 pm

That has to be the best home display that I have seen, ATL_MATT. 8)

Large scale models, beautifully displayed in display cases, and lighting to highlight them. Museum quality models, and display.

Fantastic stuff, and can't imagine what you spent on that.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 pm

snake wrote: can't imagine what you spent on that.
I can and I bet its a six figure amount :shock: The display cases alone are worth a fortune :shock: You dont find those 1/144 battleships for sale very often but when you do the are usually in the ballpark of ten grand if they are done well as his appear to be 8)

My hat is off to you sir, my biggest boat for the moment is my 1/72 U-boat. I have always been more of an aviation fan and armor enthusiast but there is something that draws me to the sea. I have always loved large ship models of all kinds.