Requests for 3D Printers

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Requests for 3D Printers

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Can we get a permanent post to post ideas on of stuff we would want made by our members like Grunt and Jay that do the great work with the 3D printers??

Well this is my first request!

I would love a welding tank for tank repairs :wink:

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Requests for 3D Printers

Post by B17Fortress » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:02 pm

After much consideration, I have reached a conclusion.

<---- in 1/6

Hopefully he is simple enough to make one of these days!

And, if I dare make another wish, a 1/6 PKM.
Last edited by B17Fortress on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Speaking of 3D printing what ever happened to Grunt's Schwimwagen?
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Good Idea. And I would like a set of welding tanks as well but in 1/16 for my FAMO.
I have been working on a few 3d items to print. A 1/16 early ausf E/F turret mantlet for my 1/16 panzer III, and a 1/18 panzerwerfer 42. I made an early panzer III cupola and printed it at shapeways and it turned out perfectly.
Last edited by smittyrob64 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 am

B17Fortress wrote:...And, if I dare make another wish, a 1/6 PKM...
There is a 1:6 resin PKM available already. Scroll down to post #5. There are links to pictures there:
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/c ... -want.html

If I remember correctly they cost about $50. I don't have one of those PKM's (I have a friend that bought a lot of 1/6 21C prototype PKM's on eBay and he's been kind enough to cast a copy for me) but they get positive reviews over at OSW. There are no PKM's listed at the moment on eBay but check this seller as he lists them occasionally:
http://myworld.ebay.com/davinator65?_tr ... 7675.l2559

If you're interested in other 1:6 Russian weaponry there are resin RPD's and RPK's available on eBay. They are made and sold by a former 21C sculptor. I have one of the RPK's and it's excellent. Check his listings on eBay. He currently has both available.:
http://myworld.ebay.com/mudhens66?_trks ... 7675.l2559

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

I would like to see parts that I could use to convert that 21c gray R/C Panzer IV from a Panzer IV D/H hybrid into something more resembling a proper Panzer IV D tank. A conversion kit. Parts like appropriate cupola, two-piece commander hatch, turret side hatches, the little view-port pieces, and a correct exhaust muffler.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 pm

So where can I get these 3D programs? In college right now and they don't seem to have anything for 3D design. -_- I will look again though.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Sketchup 3d is free to download for home use. Also found these ones:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d ... -not-miss/

Plenty to play around with, but i would try Google's Sketchup first.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:56 am

Nice! Thanks! I never knew of those! Can you have shapeways print something from google sketchup?
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Jay wrote:Sketchup 3d is free to download for home use. Also found these ones:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d ... -not-miss/

Plenty to play around with, but i would try Google's Sketchup first.
I need education on this also! can you walk me (us) through the steps Jay. Say I want that welding tank or whatever part it is, what is the process to get it from an idea to a company like Shapeways making it?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 am

This would be easy to make from scratch .

Just tubes and a little bit of bar stock for the dolly.

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 am

How about some 1:18 Panzer crews....not necessarily these but... :idea:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I have a "mechanics set" from GMP called "1/18 Garage Accessories Kit" which includes a welder and a arc welder and much more.

OK, it is modern but how much have welders changed since WW2? Nicely detailed metal set.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but I got it on eBay.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks guys but that was just an example. There are hundreds of items I would love to have and Im sure others would also but I cant or dont have time to carve by hand or build from scratch. So how is it done?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Do not think that 3D work is easy. The little bit I dabbled with it is time consuming! I have a friend into 3D model making (Not scale stuff), and he'll spend LOADS of time into making a model.
--Samuel Beckett

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:29 pm

My latest purchase was a M3A4 Infantry Hand Cart that was created by a 3D printer in 1/6 and the cart is suburb. Detail is excellent, even the tiny ID plate on the side is as much detail as anyone would want.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/ge ... -cart.html

The creator painted it all and provided ropes and a canvas cover.

3D is the future.

TTT

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:33 am

TTT, what was the cost for the hand cart?
I'm sure it looks good painted........it looks damn good in clear plastic.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

The hand cart cost was $125 + a few bucks shipping. Was arrived all set to display. I'll post a pic later today, I'm sure you will agree, after you see it, that it is a very reasonable price and a great example of what 3D can do for items with limited demand.

Mrs. TTT even got involved by digging up a few pics of Marlene Detrick on a USO tour dressed in fatigues clowning around with one of these carts. She wants me to display them together.

Sorry if some of youse guys don't know who Marlene Detrick is...... :roll: That's what Google is for... :lol:

TTT

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 am

They'll probably have better luck googling Dietrich, though.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Cart made by 3D printer...

Only problem for the bolt counters is the thickness of the tow ropes, it may be a little thick.

Tow ropes go on front or rear and the hand bar can be moved to the front of the cart for towing behind a Jeep. All perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I'll do better.

TTT

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 am

:shock: Nice looking piece and $125 is a fair price for it's size.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Jnewboy wrote:I need education on this also! can you walk me (us) through the steps Jay. Say I want that welding tank or whatever part it is, what is the process to get it from an idea to a company like Shapeways making it?
Sorry, but it's mostly up to you buddy! First you'll need to pick a programme that you like the look off (read reviews, watch youtube videos etc), and then you'll need to just start learning the ropes. I use a programme called "Solidworks", so i'm not sure how Sketchup is presented but i'm sure there will be tutorials on using it.
My initial advice (for what it's worth) would be to choose a "solid modelling" programme, because these in my opinion are more suited to rapid prototyping and printing.
Then it's just a matter of inputing the dimensions/measurements into the programme. either manually, or by "tracing" over blueprints just like smittyrob64 has done in his pictures.
The other thing to watch for is to make sure the cad programme you choose, can produce the type of files the 3d printer can read. Basically, when you model up your item in 3d (virtual realty) you then save the file as a STL file (for example). This is just a type of 3d file (much like tiff, jpeg, gif, png are all types of picture/grapihc files). The 3d printer can then take that file and use it to print an actual 3d part (again, much like you can send a jpeg file to a printer, and it will spit out a picture on actual paper).
If you have specific questions I can try and answer them but yeah, get ready to put your head down and just start learning. Put it this way, I've been using Solidworks for over 10 years and i'm still learning new things!
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Jay wrote:
Jnewboy wrote:I need education on this also! can you walk me (us) through the steps Jay. Say I want that welding tank or whatever part it is, what is the process to get it from an idea to a company like Shapeways making it?
Sorry, but it's mostly up to you buddy! First you'll need to pick a programme that you like the look off (read reviews, watch youtube videos etc), and then you'll need to just start learning the ropes. I use a programme called "Solidworks", so i'm not sure how Sketchup is presented but i'm sure there will be tutorials on using it.
My initial advice (for what it's worth) would be to choose a "solid modelling" programme, because these in my opinion are more suited to rapid prototyping and printing.
Then it's just a matter of inputing the dimensions/measurements into the programme. either manually, or by "tracing" over blueprints just like smittyrob64 has done in his pictures.
The other thing to watch for is to make sure the cad programme you choose, can produce the type of files the 3d printer can read. Basically, when you model up your item in 3d (virtual realty) you then save the file as a STL file (for example). This is just a type of 3d file (much like tiff, jpeg, gif, png are all types of picture/grapihc files). The 3d printer can then take that file and use it to print an actual 3d part (again, much like you can send a jpeg file to a printer, and it will spit out a picture on actual paper).
If you have specific questions I can try and answer them but yeah, get ready to put your head down and just start learning. Put it this way, I've been using Solidworks for over 10 years and i'm still learning new things!
Thanks Jay that was exactly the info I needed! This next year I may get into it!

Grunt has told me before that he has to pay allot for prototypes to be made and just parts of his big stuff is so much money its sorta crazy not to just print one perfect one and then make molds of it and copy it in resin for a fraction of the price of printing another.

So my question is are there materials that are out there that are cheaper that can be used then the stuff on shapeways?

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Resin would be cheaper and yes, I have thought about using Shapeways to produce a mold that i could then reuse.
The main difference is that to make something from a mold requires the mold to be taken apart after wards. So you have to think carefully about part lines, over hanging details etc.
The advantage of 3D printing is that you can have overhangs, negative details, even hollow parts all within the same part. So you could actually print a complete engine as a single part (as opposed to say a 1/24 scale car engine which would be at least two parts for the engine block alone).
So yeah, there are alot of different materials and processes which would be cheaper (but require work in other ways).
The reason i like 3d printing, is that
A: I'm slightly handy with a computer anyway.
B: Because you're using a computer, you can get details near perfect and to the mm (or a hundredth of an inch) and you more or less know that that's exactly how the finished item will come out.
C: As a seller, it's advantageous to farm out the manufacturing to a company in the States. Even if i did produce resin models, it would then cost to ship them across the world. Where as with Shapeways you guys are just paying for shipping across the country, and any updates or changes can be quickly sent through in a computer file.
Like Pickle said, if you are just wanting a model for yourself, and it's simple stock tube stuff then it is way cheaper to hammer it out yourself (you could even do a multimedia kit using stock tube for the large stuff, and just the detail parts using 3D printing.).