3D is the future of toy making

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

3D is the future of toy making

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:27 am

I know we have discussed this and I even bought somebodies Pack 75 made from 3D (very sorry but I forget which of our guys made it) but I just bought a 1/6 M3A4 infantry cart made by 3D and then lazer cut and painted.

Beautiful work. Has to be the future of our hobby. I know 3D printers are very expensive and lazer cutters are also not available to the average Joe, but this cart is beautiful, crisp lines super detailed even down to the ID plate that is detailed so fine the printing is too small for these tired eyes, and the wheels and tires.

Definitely the future, who would not like to like a obscure model and just order it and blam, a week later it is there.

The details for this cart are on SAG under "M3A4 infantry cart". Can be pulled or attached to Jeeps, can carry pretty much anything.

BTW - This maker is not my BIL or anything like that, just another wannabe Pickel.. :lol:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Re: 3D is the future of toy making

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I agree. It seems a lot less labor-intensive than the pour-&-cast method. (Sorry Pickelhaube, you still do fantastic work!) And because one creates the design on a computer, which is then printed/cut, you can make just about anything without having to scale and form moulds. I've built some of Grunt1's kits and am very pleased. They are a bit lighter and perhaps more fragile than the moulded resin, but do come out looking sharp.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."