1/18 British Cromwell

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 British Cromwell

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:30 pm

No I have not built one but I have been giving it allot of thought.

I own the "Wittmann" figure made by Dragon in 1/18, it comes with a Cromwell turret for him to lean on!!

Puzzle piece number two is Pickle's T-34!

Put them together and you dont need much more... 8)

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 1/18 British Cromwell

Post by Grognard » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm

I though about it when it first came out. I think the turret is actually 1/16. didn't scale out so I dropped the idea.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Grognard wrote:I though about it when it first came out. I think the turret is actually 1/16. didn't scale out so I dropped the idea.
I have not measured it, Dragon is usually pretty good on scale but if it is 1/16 thats even better for me :D

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 am

I thought about doing one of these as well. I would love to see one on my shelf; but the fact that it isn't a complete turret and you will have to build up the back end because of the angle they cut it at for the diorama made me think that this wouldn't be as easy as I had hoped.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 am

Maybe if we all ask nicely, we can get Pickelhaube to put his talents to making us a kit for the Cromwell :D
--Thomas Jefferson

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 am

yes the cromwell turret is way over scale. It's bigger than a Tiger turret...certainly 1/16 not 1/18. I thought of doing the same thing years ago but was stopped in my tracks (pun intended).
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat May 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Looks like this has already been done!

look at this!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98833 ... ey_/tm.htm

On Page 4 it shows the finished thing! AMAZING!! 8)

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm

That looks awesome. - I loved the one guys comment : "There is one very big mistake with your Cromwell.... It's not in my collection" :lol: Would love to get one of these to go along side my Pickle Sherman Firefly. I have to say with all of the toys that they get over in the UK that we don't get here in the States ( the amazing 1/18 Harry Potter figueres and accessories for example) I can't believe that there isn't a company making some sort of of World War 2 British military toy items for their market. I would think that collectors in the UK and Australia would love to be able to show a little pride in their "Greatest Generation" World War 2 accomplishments with great figures and tanks for thier collections.
--Thomas Jefferson

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 05, 2013 6:37 am

Cool idea and this definitely can be done. I have ways of shrinking things down.

But in all of my posted polls Commonwealth stuff always came in dead last as things wanted.

My 1/18th T-34 was basically a 1/16 T-34 that I sliced and diced to get down to size.

Picture a box , slice it down the middle on both axises ( cutting out the desired amount to get to size ) and put it back together .
You have just created a smaller box.

I did this to the T-34/76 and it took me about 2 1/2 days to do the surgery.
It took me only a day to make the T-34/85.

The 76 turret was complex the 85 was relatively simple in design.

The Cromwell turret is simple in design and can be reduced fairly easy. ( nothing is ever easy )
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 am

So I don't know much about armor, so somebody help me out here: why is there discussion of using a Russian T-34 to make a British Cromwell? What am I missing? Is the bottom half of a T-34 really similar to a Cromwell?

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 am

T-34 uses the Christie suspension system. Walter Christie could not get much interest in his designs in Britain and the US so he sold many of his designs to the Soviet Union, the russians adopting this suspension for many of their tanks.

Have a look at the pictures above of the tracks and suspension on Pickelhaube's T-34 and the Cromwell.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

I know this is a 1/18 forum and there are some who would want a 1/18 Cromwell but it would be easier and you would sell far more if you (Mathew) made it in 1/16. There are hundreds of collectors who would like one and it only requires you making the top of the chassis and finishing the turret. I am one of those collectors. Also like you said British stuff always polls last and for that reason you dont have to worry about a major manufacturer like Henglong coming out with one anytime soon. Just a thought 8)

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Ludwigs Hobby Site has a 1/16 Cromwell kit and various upgrades.
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/cromwell_1.htm

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Jnewboy wrote:I know this is a 1/18 forum and there are some who would want a 1/18 Cromwell but it would be easier and you would sell far more if you (Mathew) made it in 1/16. There are hundreds of collectors who would like one and it only requires you making the top of the chassis and finishing the turret. I am one of those collectors. Also like you said British stuff always polls last and for that reason you dont have to worry about a major manufacturer like Henglong coming out with one anytime soon. Just a thought 8)
I personally would love to see Pickle make one in 1/18 scale, but I guess I see your point about the 1/16 sales possiblites. With all of the 1/18 stuff in my collection, I personally couldn't buy it in 1/16 scale. I have tried that road with other tanks and they just look giant next to my other 1/18 stuff. As silly as it may sound if Matthew did make it in 1/16 scale I think it would kind of feel like one of the last death nails to the already slim pickings in the 1/18 hobby world.
--Thomas Jefferson

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon May 06, 2013 7:51 pm

maritime96 wrote:
Jnewboy wrote:I know this is a 1/18 forum and there are some who would want a 1/18 Cromwell but it would be easier and you would sell far more if you (Mathew) made it in 1/16. There are hundreds of collectors who would like one and it only requires you making the top of the chassis and finishing the turret. I am one of those collectors. Also like you said British stuff always polls last and for that reason you dont have to worry about a major manufacturer like Henglong coming out with one anytime soon. Just a thought 8)
I personally would love to see Pickle make one in 1/18 scale, but I guess I see your point about the 1/16 sales possiblites. With all of the 1/18 stuff in my collection, I personally couldn't buy it in 1/16 scale. I have tried that road with other tanks and they just look giant next to my other 1/18 stuff. As silly as it may sound if Matthew did make it in 1/16 scale I think it would kind of feel like one of the last death nails to the already slim pickings in the 1/18 hobby world.
:lol: :lol: I totally understand that! It was just an idea. Pickle has been very loyal to 1/18 and Im sure he will continue to be.
smittyrob64 wrote:Ludwigs Hobby Site has a 1/16 Cromwell kit and various upgrades.
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/cromwell_1.htm
yep that kit was part of my point, it is just a little better than a paper model, no real detail on a model that size looks terrible. If there was a good resin kit of it available Im sure it would sell well... but so would many other tanks that are not yet made...