Customizing Tiger I issue….any ideas?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Customizing Tiger I issue….any ideas?

Post by lsc1002 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:26 pm

Hello all! I am customizing a XD Tiger I and want to put mud on the bottom side of the chassis. Does any one out there know a simple why to create this effect and it look good? Any wisdom will be much appreciated buy this new comer.
"Tigers!?.....Where did the Tigers come from!?!"

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:39 pm

On one of my tanks I used dried up white caulking, then glued them to the undersides of the tank and wheels and then painted them to simulate globs of mud. Worked pretty well and made good use of my old caulking.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Elmers white glues works well also and like caulking the pieces can be pulled off randomly to look like big chunks have been shaken loose. The mud can be easily peeled off if you decide you don't like it someday.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

mondaytanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mondaytanker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:23 am

Something I tried and I felt gave me good results. I used Squadron Signals green putty. Smear it on really thin, let it set up a little. Then start dabbing it. The more you work it the more chunky it gets. I applied it with a scrap piece of styrene plastic, then dabbed it with it as well. Do a small section at a time and scrape the putty off of the applicator in between applications. Practice on something else first to find a technique that works for you.

digger

weathering

Post by digger » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:26 am

I use this one page guide whenever I can. He has a recipe for mud in there but it has a few ingredients...

http://www.track-link.net/articles/13

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:44 am

In my old model building days (I'm now a lazy old f@rt) I would use modeller's putty or caulking and then paint it up to the proper mud color. In my office I have a nice Panther that I did this way about thirty years ago and it still looks great. I also dolled it up with camo-foliage to hide it from Allied aircraft!

Mike