merit Announcment

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: merit Announcment

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am

sbd wrote:No pilot either. :roll:
Merit says that one figure will be included...

:lol: :lol: Have a nice Sunday guys!

snake

Post by snake » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I will hold off judgement of the actual model, until I see it in the production stages. Meaning the actual model.

But $250- $300 does seem rather high, and don't think the electronics really add anything considering the extra cost the incur.

The Harrier is not a very large plane, and this is almost twice the price of the magnificent Dauntless that was just released.

Not trying to be negative, but 1/18 is starting to get pretty expensive if that $250- $300 price tag is accurate.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 am

snake wrote:I will hold off judgement of the actual model, until I see it in the production stages. Meaning the actual model.

But $250- $300 does seem rather high, and don't think the electronics really add anything considering the extra cost the incur.

The Harrier is not a very large plane, and this is almost twice the price of the magnificent Dauntless that was just released.

Not trying to be negative, but 1/18 is starting to get pretty expensive if that $250- $300 price tag is accurate.

I couldn't agree more.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 am

The Harrier is small. In 18 scale it will be a smidge longer than a P-51 or F-86 with a shorter wing span than either. Nice that it appears to be well detailed with crisp lines. I'm sure it will be a well built model.

But with all that, plus plastic gears (for the love - please stop using retracts!! Use plug ins for gears!!) and completely unnecessary lights (or even if they add sounds) it is still not worth the price creeping towards $300.

For me still not getting it no matter the price. The Harrier never had any appeal to me.

Now bring on the FW-190A!! That's what I think most of here would rather have anyway.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 am

To me $200-$300 is not unreasonable for large scale models. If you look at the detail level of 21st's stuff, you can see why it is only $50-$100. If their next releases are as well done as the dauntless, it is perfectly justifiable to me.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 am

I could agree that $190 to $200 for the Harrier's price would be reasonable. I bought both Dauntless's for $169 (minus shipping) which is the 1/18 standard bearer for detail. I don't think the Harrier will eclipse the Dauntless for detail. Match, sure. Exceed, no. The F-14 for detail (disregard the terrible paint job; consider the mold) is 2nd best in 18 scale. (Might throw in the Avenger as tied for 2nd)

I paid $179 (before shipping) for the Spotcat when it came out and $199 for the BK. I can vouch for F-14 detail as I've crawled all over those beasts in my past. The JSI Tomcat panel lines and proportions are correct save for missing a few assortment of fasteners. I'm sure the Dauntless is the same. I'm sure the Harrier will be produced to that level too.

I'm not myopic to the past glory days of WalMart prices or BadCat retail from 6 years ago, but I still can't see where excess of $200 becomes reasonable for the Harrier

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Just got a newsletter from Badcat announcing that the Jabara F-86 is due to arrive next week, along with the Flak 36 model kit :D

What's funny, is I think it was either Badcat or something quasi-official around here that had a later release date for those specific items. Glad they will be on time!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:I could agree that $190 to $200 for the Harrier's price would be reasonable. I bought both Dauntless's for $169 (minus shipping) which is the 1/18 standard bearer for detail. I don't think the Harrier will eclipse the Dauntless for detail. Match, sure. Exceed, no. The F-14 for detail (disregard the terrible paint job; consider the mold) is 2nd best in 18 scale. (Might throw in the Avenger as tied for 2nd)

I paid $179 (before shipping) for the Spotcat when it came out and $199 for the BK. I can vouch for F-14 detail as I've crawled all over those beasts in my past. The JSI Tomcat panel lines and proportions are correct save for missing a few assortment of fasteners. I'm sure the Dauntless is the same. I'm sure the Harrier will be produced to that level too.

I'm not myopic to the past glory days of WalMart prices or BadCat retail from 6 years ago, but I still can't see where excess of $200 becomes reasonable for the Harrier
I thought the standard retail price most places carried the F-14 was ~$225 original, and ~$300 for the upgraded Black Knights? So my guess is they're trying to see if an overly basic logic of "hey I paid $300 for modern jet F-14 w/lights, so I'll pay $300 for modern jet AV-8B with lights" will work.

But as we know, the Harrier is A LOT smaller than the Tomcat, so a comparison to the Dauntless is probably more deserved.

Also, with so little competition in the 1:18 model market, I think prices keep going a bit higher than they would otherwise. If BBI put out a 1:18 Hind for $225 at the same time JSI released a $275 Harrier, I think lots of money would end up in BBI's instead of JSI's hands. But sadly...

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm

parrish333 wrote:
Black Lion VF-213 wrote:I could agree that $190 to $200 for the Harrier's price would be reasonable. I bought both Dauntless's for $169 (minus shipping) which is the 1/18 standard bearer for detail. I don't think the Harrier will eclipse the Dauntless for detail. Match, sure. Exceed, no. The F-14 for detail (disregard the terrible paint job; consider the mold) is 2nd best in 18 scale. (Might throw in the Avenger as tied for 2nd)

I thought the standard retail price most places carried the F-14 was ~$225 original, and ~$300 for the upgraded Black Knights? So my guess is they're trying to see if an overly basic logic of "hey I paid $300 for modern jet F-14 w/lights, so I'll pay $300 for modern jet AV-8B with lights" will work.

But as we know, the Harrier is A LOT smaller than the Tomcat, so a comparison to the Dauntless is probably more deserved.

Also, with so little competition in the 1:18 model market, I think prices keep going a bit higher than they would otherwise. If BBI put out a 1:18 Hind for $225 at the same time JSI released a $275 Harrier, I think lots of money would end up in BBI's instead of JSI's hands. But sadly...
I will also be very happy to buy a few 1/18 Hind for $225.00 each. :wink:
The Hind is quite massive. In 1/18 scale the model measures 38.22 inches long with lots of rivets detail that cost dearly to reproduce. The 1/32 B-17G Model Kit by HK model has similar level of rivets detail and with a MSRP of $299.00. :shock:

Anyway, please refer to the other link for price for "light features"

Thank you

Jim

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Jim or is it James Allen?

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Beeavision, are you seeing something I'm not?
You think Jim is the former owner of 21st?
Man that would be cool!

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 am

normandy wrote:Beeavision, are you seeing something I'm not?
You think Jim is the former owner of 21st?
Man that would be cool!
:shock:

Interesting thoughts!

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Jim,

Just curious but when do expect to have the AV-8B Harrier all painted up? Need to mark something down on my calendar to look forward to.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Any updates?? November is 4 months away... any pics yet?????