Wicker-like trench lining

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Wicker-like trench lining

Post by AJWW2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm

For a dio, i was wondering how to make the wicker-like trench lining seen here behind Dick Winters:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jJkhI2Tuyzk/T ... 00/033.jpg

Sorry it isn't a very good pic, it was all i could find.

I'm thinking i could purchase tiny wicker or make my own but really not sure what to do.
it be like dat

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Wicker-like trench lining

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm

That's not actual wicker, as wicker is usually made from long, slender material that can be easily woven like rattan, cane, reeds, etc. You probably would do a better job recreating the woven fence using material from your yard. Do you have any kind of ivy or climbing vine that is very thin and long? If you have any of that skinny green vine with the thorns on it (almost looks like a climbing rose stem) you could cut a bunch, trim the thorns and let it dry a while. If you find the dead brown pieces, soak them in a little warm water to soften them up for weaving otherwise they might break. The weaving itself isn't that hard, since all you're doing is alternating in front/behind the upright posts; the tedium is in doing long stretches of it to make a suitable bit of fence. Since it is just a retaining wall, the rows don't have to be nice and neat like in a piece of furniture.