blue angle decales needed

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

blue angle decales needed

Post by rudedog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

morning all i have a 1/18 fa/18 that i need decals in the right size and color for a blue angle repaint any help would be great. my sorce was a no go. thx rudedog

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: blue angle decales needed

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Your best bet would be someone who has an ALPS printer. If you're thinking yellow decals to place over the blue paint, then an ALPS printer is the only way this would make it happen. No inkjet or laser printer existing can print any color with complete opacity. What's worse, the lighter the color desired, such as yellow, the more it will simply meld into the color below. Black on either inkjet or laser is as close to opaque as it could get. Even black sometimes never looks right. If printing yellow on clear and applied over blue, you'll end with blue-green.

Jackson uses an ALPS and has done some awesome work. However I heard that due to some unfortunate technical circumstance, I'm not sure if his set up will work for Blue Angels. He'll have to chime in. Basically you need white ink to be the base layer under any color. ALPS is the only known system. Sadly their production ended close to 10 years ago.

The only way an inket or laser would work is if the yellow is printed on the white decal film as opposed to the clear. Then you would have to have amazing cutting skills to cut out the white edging leaving only the yellow exposed. That's just for the stripes!! Damn near impossible when getting to the delicate curves of the "Blue Angels" script that is on the front fuselage.

Good luck man,

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 am

thx for the info do you know of any body who might hand paint the navy and angles under the wings. i know bad cat did this bird any thoughts who did there paint work or was it factory from bbi?

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 am

The BBI Blue Angels bird was all factory done. All the plastic and diecast ready made model companies use tampo printing in the factory. Some call it pad printing or tampo pad printing, etc.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wolf8564 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Ifound these at a web site where you can download them for free then you could print them on a decal sheet.
http://www.skyhighhobby.com/airplane-decals?pid=161