f14 repaint

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

f14 repaint

Post by rudedog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:59 am

i'm a newby can some one help me get in contact with zach at tko customs i have a f14 that needs a repaint. badcats web site was no help there are no pictures or a link. any help would be great. thx rudedog

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: f14 repaint

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello and welcome, ruedog.

There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago at most: http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =1&t=28851

TKO211 (Zach) is taking a break from repainting the F-14s for the time being. He got overworked by the volume of requests that came in.

You could search the old F-14 thread from 2009 where there was a lot of dicussion about repainting the plane. If you are simply intending to "de-spot" the S1 VF-84 Jolly Rogers version, there are a variety of ways to go about repainting. They all basically boil down to masking off the markings and other areas you don't want painted and then applying the base color to either lessen or cover the spots completely. Testors Flat Gull Gray was a near-perfect match to the base gray on the S1 F-14 and paint can be applied using an air brush or a sponge technique.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:14 pm

thx for the info any one else who might be doing a repaint my arthritis makes it hard to spray paint work. thx rudedog

snake

Post by snake » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, rudedog.

TKO has indeed taken a much needed break from doing those customs.

Not sure who else might be able to help you out with the Tomcat.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Rudedog

As others have mentioned I am indeed taking a break from repainting planes by request. I have 6-7 1:18 personal projects of my own that I am slowly chewing away at. It's been a much needed break and right now my company is keeping me quite busy so it's hard to find the time to focus on repaints.

For your F-14- were you planning to de-spot a tomcat or were you looking to go full custom by changing the squadron? Just curious... If it's to de-spot the Jolly Roger than there are some other techniques that others have used with very good results. I think I recall someone using a craft sponge method, essentially blotting paint over the nasty spots.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am

Rudedog,

Another suggestion might be to reach out to fellow board member: Black Lion VF-213. or Flyboy.
Those guys and couple others seem to regularly do custom paint work and I have been impressed by what I have seen. Perhaps one of those guys are willing to take on a repaint project for you.

IF you run into dead ends PM me and maybe I can walk you though some ideas or whatever. The F-14 is an awesome bird and deserves to painted correctly (no spots) for sure!

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Did somebody mention repaint of a F-14???? Mmmm my favorite aircraft.

What did you have in mind rudedog?