Color of plastic

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Color of plastic

Post by skypirate » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I recently picked up a Putt Putt Maru, brand new, but minor paint wear in some places showing the black plastic underneath. So, my question is, why not silver/metallic colored plastic? Cost? Repaints?

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Color of plastic

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

It would be cost. I think, not sure though. I asked a Rep at Horizon Hobby why they don't mold their foam RCs in silver foam (When it chips it will look real), instead of white. And he said it was because of cost.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. That would be nice on the RC planes.

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 am

When I stripped my P-47 this Summer it was indeed silver paint on an all black mold. Interesting.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 am

skypirate wrote:I recently picked up a Putt Putt Maru, brand new, but minor paint wear in some places showing the black plastic underneath. So, my question is, why not silver/metallic colored plastic? Cost? Repaints?
I know the answer to this one!

If you look at the first few releases from 21C, the S1 P-51, S1 Me-109e, S1 Corsair, S1 Stuka and couple others, you will see that they are molded in a base plastic color. It was slightly cheaper to do this but the realism on the paint is less than it otherwise could be.

Think of it as you would building a plastic model kit- The finished result is always far better if it's fully painted rather than running the plastic in a base color and adding the limited paint and then decals... it looks cheaper and amateur.

The change for 21C came when Roy Sutherland was hired. He saw the potential for the planes and through improved historical research, and more investment into paint processes and much improved paint masters Roy really made a difference over there.

So there you have it.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am

So basically he just had them spray a base color rather than rely on the plastic for that, right?

Yes, base plastic doesn't work because number 1) it is usually too glossy, and number 2) it looks like plastic and not metal.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

tko211 wrote:I know the answer to this one!

If you look at the first few releases from 21C, the S1 P-51, S1 Me-109e, S1 Corsair, S1 Stuka and couple others, you will see that they are molded in a base plastic color. It was slightly cheaper to do this but the realism on the paint is less than it otherwise could be.

Think of it as you would building a plastic model kit- The finished result is always far better if it's fully painted rather than running the plastic in a base color and adding the limited paint and then decals... it looks cheaper and amateur.

The change for 21C came when Roy Sutherland was hired. He saw the potential for the planes and through improved historical research, and more investment into paint processes and much improved paint masters Roy really made a difference over there.

So there you have it.
Thanks for the answers. Makes complete sense. Yes the Easy Model planes don't have a base coat and it's noticeable.

I failed to clarify that I was thinking silver base coat on silver model. That way any paint wear would be less noticeable.

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

I know we're mainly talking about aircraft but 21st's winter Panther was molded in white plastic.
At first I had never noticed.....as a model builder I would have built the tank, painted it a base
color, then painted it white and then weathered it.
21st molded the Panther white and then weathered it with gray.......its an illusion. It looks like a gray
tank in winter white camo....its not.

....I think it was a great idea, looks believable and saved them money.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't know if this adds anything to the already made replies....but here goes. Most modelers will tell you that, when choosing to paint a "primer" color, you should start with a color opposite of the final color. Therefore, a silver or "natural metal" final coat should have a darker (best would be a dark black) color so that you can easily spot flaws in the coating. Too light a final coat would show up as darker spots. You can use that "flawed" appearance sometimes for "weathering" purposes...ala the grey of the Panther over white base color. Colored plastic has a depth of color that comes across as not very realistic. Hope that helps explain a little.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:57 am

Folkwulfe wrote:I don't know if this adds anything to the already made replies....but here goes. Most modelers will tell you that, when choosing to paint a "primer" color, you should start with a color opposite of the final color. Therefore, a silver or "natural metal" final coat should have a darker (best would be a dark black) color so that you can easily spot flaws in the coating. Too light a final coat would show up as darker spots. You can use that "flawed" appearance sometimes for "weathering" purposes...ala the grey of the Panther over white base color. Colored plastic has a depth of color that comes across as not very realistic. Hope that helps explain a little.

EXACTLY! in fact this is the reason that most of the silver painted 21C planes were molded in Black plastic to start. The modeler in Roy knew that Silver would look better painted over gloss black. Folkwulfe is a smart dude!

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:47 pm

OK, my Pegasus prebuilt Bell X-1 appears to be molded in orange plastic...It is quite translucent, and it really shows the inside components (as shadows), with any kind of light behind it...
Orange plastic, or paint?

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Depends on the effect you are looking for. The original aircraft didn't (obviously) display a translucent shell or the shadow of internal components. A "new" bird would have fresh paint, so directly painting orange in the right shade will make her look "fresh from the factory". If you prefer a weather and slightly used bird, prime in black...as dark as you can get. When it comes time to add the orange, spray light coats around those areas you want shaded such as areas where things join together, panel lines, gear wells, etc. Keep then orange coats light until you get the shading you want. Then center of a panel will be lighter than the edges. Give it a whirl....I think you'll like what you get.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Folkwulfe wrote:I don't know if this adds anything to the already made replies....but here goes. Most modelers will tell you that, when choosing to paint a "primer" color, you should start with a color opposite of the final color. Therefore, a silver or "natural metal" final coat should have a darker (best would be a dark black) color so that you can easily spot flaws in the coating. Too light a final coat would show up as darker spots. You can use that "flawed" appearance sometimes for "weathering" purposes...ala the grey of the Panther over white base color. Colored plastic has a depth of color that comes across as not very realistic. Hope that helps explain a little.
Yeah, a lot of great information in all the responses. Thank you all.

I've got a little experience with the contrasting colors from my rocket days.
456THBG wrote:OK, my Pegasus prebuilt Bell X-1 appears to be molded in orange plastic...It is quite translucent, and it really shows the inside components (as shadows), with any kind of light behind it...
Orange plastic, or paint?
Man, that brings up the Mattel/Hot Wheels Star Trek pieces that had both.
Check out the Klingon Bird of Prey with a painted metal hull and army men translucent plastic wings. Same for the Enterprise.
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... 88#p207779