Euro Panzer IV- Not worth the money...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Euro Panzer IV- Not worth the money...

Post by krieglok » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:17 am

I just recieved a "European" release 21st Century PZKW IV and in a nut shell, it isnt worth the added expense just to get the skirts and a different paint scheme. I was suprised by the "toyish" look to this version and I couldnt quite put my finger on it until I compared it to the much superior first version they put out. The biggest fault is that the wheels and drive sprokets are held on with black poly pins and they look like crap. The original PZKW IV had wheels and drive sprokets with caps molded over the centers of the wheels. It is a major detriment to this model in my opinion. I wonder why 21st used a poorer version of wheels on this tank? Are the Europeans less aware of details like this? The skirts are nothing to write home about either. I was hoping they would use the bracket like on the original series and simply hang the skirts on the same bracket set up. Instead, they made a one piece casting that replaces the original bracket and ends up being too close to the chassis thus interfering with the traverse of the turret. The paint is decent as well as the markings, but I have to say I am really disapointed with this tank. I will keep it, but I would warn others that is really isnt up to speed when comparing it to the first version and considering the price.

TJ

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks for the heads up! Let's hope that if these Panzers are released in the US, that they won't be as "toyish" as the European version.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:09 am

Here is what I am talking about...euro(new) on left, first edition on right

Image[/img]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:12 am

Well I`d like to think I`m a sucker for detail :D

As for the Euro version,I can speak for myself here & say the standard version never got released over here or at least i know of no UK dealers selling them.
The Euro one I have one myself now thank`s to c00per.

The Skirt was a let down (though simple enough to make yourself),But hey it`s still a MK IV & I`m happy to finally have the first 2 (1 Stand 1 Euro) of a few in my possession. The rest of my MK IVs are all standards once they arrive (Pity the Postie bring them all in...lol).

I wanted to get at least one Euro version just to see the difference & well all plastic is a good thing in terms of shipping. The hatches open close easier on the plastic versions of the Mk IV & Tiger I have.
Though the part diecast MK IV & Tiger sound awesome when you push them along.

That 21st did also correct the muzzle break is a good thing too.

As i only have tigers & MkIVs (I presume Panther,Sherman were released in both all plastic & part diecast too) & know they both come in all plastic & part diecast,i presume the MK Euro was done all plastic to stay the pace & maybe as it was all plastic Bulk shipping would be cheaper from Asia to Europe for these?

The true why`s & what fors i`m afraid i don`t have,just my ideas on why.

Though I`d like to think Europe isn`t considered a place of None attention to detail,after all Rolls Royce,Bentley,BMW,Heckler & Kock,Enfield (bar the SA80 of course ;) ),Belgian Cholcolate,Swiss Chocolate are all attention to details,so we do know a thing or two about that ;) :)

Overall I`d say i`m happy to have one of the Euros & would make for the perfect base for any custom varients one may do.

Ja
Steel Bonnet
Though

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:32 pm

It appears that the Euro version of the Panzer IV looks like the new remote control version (without skirts)
that 21st has put out. It also has the wheel pins showing and the paint is more grey on the wheels
which does not match the rest of the overal color! Also appears they shot the paint from only one direction, top.
Undersides of some of the overhangs are still grey!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:43 pm

I was just thinking the same Europanzer = RC Panzer thing too, when regarding the change in the wheels. The price and the paint job turned off that tank for me (even if it had side skirts). The paintjob on the RC Panzer IV is superior, IMHO.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:29 pm

Wow, now that is really strange! I wonder if it was an economic decision to ease manufacture. Wierd.........

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 am

Thanks for the heads up on the euro panzer, I had thought about getting one for my personal collection, but after reading the form i'll pass, Guess i will have to stay with the USA panzer.
thanks for the info
thehun-aka-(gijoewoofer)

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:14 pm

I hate to shoot down an effort by 21st, but the fact that I paid good money for the tank, gives me the cause to do so. It was just such a step backwards on their part that I couldnt let it pass. I wonder if they saved money by doing this or what? Usually, their next production run on an item seems better than the last. I have done some work on mine, including filling the holes on the drive sprockets and painting the other wheel centers. I also added the missing headlight and the cross bar on the front of the tank that suspends the track section. I actually did this to both of my Mk IVs since they were glaring omissions. When I get a chance I will post some shots.

TJ

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:04 pm

Here are some shots of my modified panzer. I filled the holes on the drive sprockets and I painted over the black rivits on the road wheels. This seemed to help a bit. I installed a headlight on the base 21st provided and I installed a bar to support the track links on the front of the chassis. I gave the whole thing a light weathering job too. Enjoy.

TJ

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 pm

Wow! Nice job!! Maybe 21st could do a legends series like the planes and kick out a suped up version like yours. Well done, mate!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:04 pm

That's an awesome work you did on your PzIV! The stock European PzIV looks very toyish, but you put some realism on your tank.

Did you repaint your crews too, or did you use different figures, or did the Euro PzIV have different crews?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:24 pm

Nice job Krieglok.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:37 am

TJ
Nice work mate nice work indeed :D

Looks very nice with that work done to it.

Ja
Steel Bonnet

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:40 am

Thanks for the kind comments, men. It means alot coming from fellow members. The Commander is from an early tiger or panther(I think) and the gunner is a basic early edition German soft hat infantryman with some of his strap details shaved off and repainted in black. I am impressed that you guys noticed even with my sub par photography. It was cloudy here today, so I didnt do too well with the photos. Still playing with the flash set up...

TJ

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:47 am

Supoib job! Very nice indeed.

I was going to get once of these European IVs but decided to hold off.

Wouldn't a nice Panzer IV in 1:16 in an FOV wooden crate (assuming it was done right) be nice? I'll "settle" for a Panther G, though!!! :lol:

Mike

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Wunderbar Komerrad!
Aaron

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:50 pm

Very nice work! If the manufactured ones came close to what yours looks like, I'd buy a couple in a heartbeat.

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:00 pm

Nice job Krieglok!!!! Now thats how 21st should have offered it.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:07 am

Heck, I might pay krieglok to build one for me!!!! :wink:

Mike

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:24 pm

That thought crossed my mind as it seems to be the only activity I enjoy lately. I was going to play around with constructing plugs by punching out styrene to fill the holes with. I have yet to cover the rivit on the idler wheel in the back. A cap would work there as on the road wheels. The headlight and track bracket would be easy add-ons too.Maybe I will come up with a easy fix for those of us with the Euro Panzer.

TJ