F-14 Tomcat Help landing gear wows

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

F-14 Tomcat Help landing gear wows

Post by Jetdoc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 am

just got my F-14 and the landing gear is broke arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh and also is there to to a hold TKO211 want to talk to hime about a repaint :p51:

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: F-14 Tomcat Help landing gear wows

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Jetdoc wrote:just got my F-14 and the landing gear is broke arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh and also is there to to a hold TKO211 want to talk to hime about a repaint :p51:

Yep... almost ALL of the F-14 had landing gear problems.

I just talked to TKO today and he said that his F-14 repaints are on hold for now.

Modeling burn out.

Welcome to the board !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you for the welcome have 2 Tomcats I served 12 years in the United States Navy working on the F-14 my Last Squadron was VF-84 The Jolly Rogers the first release AC # 201 I actually worked on that Aircraft and the Pilot on the Aircraft was my Squadron CO at the time so yes want to get this one fixed my other Squadron was VF-31 The Fighting Tomcatters :p51:

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 am

Jetdoc wrote:Thank you for the welcome have 2 Tomcats I served 12 years in the United States Navy working on the F-14 my Last Squadron was VF-84 The Jolly Rogers the first release AC # 201 I actually worked on that Aircraft and the Pilot on the Aircraft was my Squadron CO at the time so yes want to get this one fixed my other Squadron was VF-31 The Fighting Tomcatters :p51:
welcome.. i pm u look in u r mail box
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Jetdoc wrote:Thank you for the welcome have 2 Tomcats I served 12 years in the United States Navy working on the F-14 my Last Squadron was VF-84 The Jolly Rogers the first release AC # 201 I actually worked on that Aircraft and the Pilot on the Aircraft was my Squadron CO at the time so yes want to get this one fixed my other Squadron was VF-31 The Fighting Tomcatters :p51:
Neat story! I've always been a fan of that particular scheme on the F-14. I got a model of one as a kid in the early 1990s (guessing I'm a bit younger than you) that was a VF-84 F-14 in the same paint as the JSI one. Been a fan of it ever after :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes she was we kept the CAG's and the Skipper's Aircraft is Squadron Colors by the late 80's and early 90's the rest of the the aircraft in the Squadron were all going to tactical gray

snake

Post by snake » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:54 am

Welcome to the forum, jetdoc. :D

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 am

Welcome to the board!

As Pickel already mentioned, I am taking a break from custom paint projects for the time. I was done in by all the F-14s! They just require so much time, paint, & materials. It's tough to make them affordable and barely cover the costs, nevermind the time... They are neat planes though!

For now I have had to spend much of my free time refocusing on new business opportunities, family, and the occasional chance to drive my sports cars.

I have a few personal paint projects that are in various stages. Ho229, dauntless, and a few others. One day I will finish those up and post pics.

Meanwhile, I have strongly considered selling my custom Vandy-1 F-14 (black playboy bunny scheme) for space reasons. If I do it might likely be the last custom Tomcat I sell.

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Wow you have been very busy TKO I do believe I handle the paint on mine would like some advise and steps you took to protect the areas that did not need repainting any information would be helpful

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Thank you Snake I will try to post some Pic's the A/C that i worked in the Navy

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Jetdoc wrote:Wow you have been very busy TKO I do believe I handle the paint on mine would like some advise and steps you took to protect the areas that did not need repainting any information would be helpful
I sent you a PM. full details on my process and the products I like to use.

Good Luck!

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Just out of curiosity....have you checked with Lair about the markings for the Tomcatters? I am converting (sometime in the future) a JSI F-14 to the last "D" version in those markings. Lair made a beautiful low-viz set for me. He does great work.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:36 am

Not yet once I get my Jolly Roger done going to tackle my other but will do that aircraft in Squadron colors from our 1983 to 84 Med when we had Red Tails and Black Radomes always like that paint scheme since I helped paint all 12 A/C in the Squadron hurt like hell when we lost A/C 205 that Med Cruise we lost our Division Officer LT. O'Neil and his RIO

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Very familiar with the cruise you speak of. This is an exert from the JFK cronicles from the period...."On 23 October 1983, while John F. Kennedy was en route to the Med, a suicide bomber struck the U.S. Marine Corps Multi-National Forces (MNF) Barracks at Beirut International Airport, killing 241 marines. That same day, another suicide car bomb killed 58 French paratroopers. Five days after those terrorist acts, John F. Kennedy entered the Med, one day ahead of schedule. The prevailing international situation resulted in her scheduled 2-7 November port visit to Marseille, France, being cancelled.
John F. Kennedy’s VF-31, however, suffered two tragic losses inside of three days. On 8 November 1983, Lieutenant (jg) Cole P. O’Neil and Commander John C. Scull (RIO), died when their F-14A (Modex AC 205) inexplicably flew into the sea while on a CAP station near the coast of Lebanon."

Good men should never be forgotten.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 pm

The F-14D I am converting the JSI model to will look more like this (or as close as I can get) with the low-viz markings.

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:43 am

John F. Kennedy’s VF-31, however, suffered two tragic losses inside of three days. On 8 November 1983, Lieutenant (jg) Cole P. O’Neil and Commander John C. Scull (RIO), died when their F-14A (Modex AC 205) inexplicably flew into the sea while on a CAP station near the coast of Lebanon." what this does not say in the official report they just not fly into the water they were shot down not only did we find the wreckage of AC 205 they also find the wreckage of two Syrian MIG's when we did the crash investigation there were signs combat damage but we were told to shut the hell up then they took what was left of the aircraft pushed it back into the sea and sank it then a few weeks later we lost another aircraft A/C 207 but the Grace Of GOD we did not loose the crew they were coming back from a mission lost it coming into the brake they were so low the RIO got one swing out of his chute and he hit the water the pilot ejected just as the plane hit water end his flying career busted him up pretty bad

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I hear you dude. Between 1982 and 1985 I was doing nukes in Germany....stuff we knew then would surely make you loose sleep at night. One good thing from it...never have to worry about my watch battery running out! If all the things we know as fact were ever to be combined and published in a book, I doubt seriously the general public would believe half of it....but brother we know more of the truth...don't we?

Jetdoc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jetdoc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am

You are so right about that I guess that's why we took that to heart to keep our mouths quiet and would gladly serve again :p51: