1/18 Avenger Atlantic vs. Bunker Hill

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Avenger Atlantic vs. Bunker Hill

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Finally got a 21st C. Avenger in the Bunker Hill Scheme. :) What do you think the ratio of Atlantic scheme to Bunker Hill scheme made was? 5 to 1? 10 to 1? other? Or is it just my imagination? Sure was hard to find one available. 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Re: 1/18 Avenger Atlantic vs. Bunker Hill

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:Finally got a 21st C. Avenger in the Bunker Hill Scheme. :) What do you think the ratio of Atlantic scheme to Bunker Hill scheme made was? 5 to 1? 10 to 1? other? Or is it just my imagination? Sure was hard to find one available. 8)

I sold the only one I had a couple of months ago.

Damn you economy. :evil:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Hard to say. I'd almost say 10:1, but that's a high-ball guess. It was most likely a lower ratio...

The Atlantic Avenger was the first release and sold at Wal Mart (both the version w/o screw caps and then the corrected version) as well as the small retailers (only the fixed version) so it got very good coverage. We all know that it really didn't sell well at Wal Mart as many stores across the country had the fabled "piles of Avengers" at discounted prices back in 2007. Never saw one at mass retail at ANY of the Wal Marts in my area, just express my anger with that issue, as I've been doing since 2006 :wink:

The Bunker Hill aircraft was the third and last to come out and only went to small retailers, which is probably why its a bit harder to find. It obviously had a smaller production run. I know the online retailers had them and even my local Hobbytown store (which is where I got one). IMHO, it is the best-looking of the Avengers in its PTO Naval tri-color cammo, so I could see a collector hanging on to that one moreso than an Atlantic one. 21c also seemed to fix some of the minor flaws that occurred with the Atlantic and some Flight 19 planes moreso with the Bunker Hill aircraft. It had all the right parts, fewer QC issues, and the wings on my BH plane stay flat.

In retrospect, there were 4 big goofs that 21c made with releasing the Avenger:
1) After all the time and effort they put into the tooling, they rushed to get it out, delivering a sub-par model (missing screw caps) for what was in 2006 a high price of $76.

2) Throughout the Avenger production run, despite improvements, they never could rectify the QC issues such as misaligned paint and broken parts. Packing such a large plane in a window box was a mistake.

3) 21c released the Atlantic scheme (arguably one of the more obscure of the three) as their first and largest release of that aircraft and made more desired versions harder to find.

4) 21c did not take the wiser route and release something more recognizable or desired at mass retail first - the Flight 19 Avengers would have had pop-culture recognizability; the Bunker Hill Avenger actually looks like a classic Avenger; and they never released the Bush Avenger despite positive media coverage, recognizability, and historic significance. Flight 19, BH, and Bush aircraft would have made much better first-releases than the Atlantic one.

Then again, common sense and 21c typically didn't go together, now did they? :lol:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Once again, all the detail in the world doesn't trump the toy-like landing gear. It is especially tough when I can stand next to a real one on a regular basis and see just how bad the gear is. :( "A blessing and a curse" (I'll take the blessing part any day :!: ) :)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I remember seeing the infamous piles of Avengers at WM and it was really sickening. almost every one had the window broken into and various parts and figures broken or missing or a crushed/damaged box. I had the bunker hill and it was my favorite scheme it but alas it is long gone.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:55 am

I have both. I want to paint a spare Hellcat in the Bunker Hill scheme to go with the Avenger and Corsair that I have. That is just one of the many customs that are sitting out there waiting to be completed.

BTW I really like the BH version of the Avenger. I was able to display it with the wings down for a while, until I rearranged furnishings. I liked it better that way, but it still looks pretty cool with the wings folded.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 am

Buckyroo wrote:I have both. I want to paint a spare Hellcat in the Bunker Hill scheme to go with the Avenger and Corsair that I have. That is just one of the many customs that are sitting out there waiting to be completed.

BTW I really like the BH version of the Avenger. I was able to display it with the wings down for a while, until I rearranged furnishings. I liked it better that way, but it still looks pretty cool with the wings folded.
I've only got the Atlantic but only way to display in my limited space is folded unlike my others hanging on the walls this one is just to heavy for that though or I would.
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 am

21C? Y U NO RELEASE BUSH AVENGER???

I have an screw-capless Atlantic Avenger and love it. Wish I had a tri-color though.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 am

I have only one of the Flight 19 birds. No room to display it at the moment but you never know......

As one of only four birds that I own should say alot as to how much I like the Avenger. I'm a vehicle guy and with 27 1/6 vehicles, including six tanks, my space for planes is very limited. A Avenger has got to be one. :lol:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 pm

I have both the BH, and Atlantic versions, and although I prefer the BH, as it is in classic Avenger colours, really don't mind the Atlantic version. Something different.

Didn't realize that the Atlantic version was done in larger numbers.

And not releasing a Bush Avenger was a big mistake by 21C, I think. But these are really large models in 1/18, so think most would only get one or two.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:15 am

I have both the Atlantic and Flight 19 #81 versions of the Avenger, the Atlantic on display the 19 still boxed.
I like the Atlantic version....
...what can I say, I live on an Island in the Atlantic which is only 14 miles away from Block Island. :P
Actually I think it's a cool paint scheme and a part of WWII history few are a aware of.
http://www.uss-corry-dd463.com/d-day_u- ... photos.htm

The one thing about 21st's Avenger that ticked me off was the delay from announcement to release,
but that happens all the time in the toy industry.
The thing is that My Father-in-law flew in Avengers
From the Enterprise '44-'45.
I told him 21st was going to make one in 1:18 and he was like a kid....is it out yet? when are they gonna finish
my plane? You know kinda like us.........He never got to see it...He passed away in Aug.'06.

Now what really ticked me the **** off was walmart, not one Avenger to my knowledge was ever sold in
this part of the North East by walmart.
Grumman built the Avenger here on Long Island....(over at walfarts HQ :idea: we could sell a ton of these....
ship 'em to the coast) I think they went to Costa Mesa.... :P :roll:
Anyhow in May of '09 I got two from the Monkey Depot sale.
My hat is off to 21st for a fantastic model of the Avenger!!!
and a big crap in the hat for walfarts. :evil:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 am

And if you look very close at the Avenger pilot you can see a good representative of George Bush. That tells me that his Avenger was intended to be part of the lineup but unfortunately the Bush Avenger never happened. Too bad... :evil:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 pm

normandy wrote:Now what really ticked me the **** off was walmart, not one Avenger to my knowledge was ever sold in this part of the North East by walmart...

big crap in the hat for walfarts. :evil:
Couldn't agree with you more on Wal Mart - still annoyed about it 6 years on :wink:

Very sorry about your father-in-law and that he didn't get to see it.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 am

Never seen them at Walmart here either got mine at tru fortunately I was told a guy local owner of a B-25 still has a stock of them plus some sidewinders f-18's he's bringing to our fly-in on the 27th!
Looks like I'm getting a sidewinders F-18 after all!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 am

Someone on Hyperscale two years ago was completely reworking his Atlantic 1/18 Avenger, literally rivet by rivet. He had a site dedicated to this work. Very fastidious stuff. I loved the passion to work on such a large model, I'm sure he made it look really nice.
www.TheLiterateShow.com