BBI F18 Main Gear

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

BBI F18 Main Gear

Post by 456THBG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 am

Finally put my new "Sidewinders" on display...So far the main gear looks strong, but only time, IMO, will tell...
When I look at how my Golden Dragons', Marauders' & Jolly Rogers' main gear sags, I can only hope that the Sidewinders' mains hold up as well as my Red Devils' has!
I know we've kicked this one to death, including the "boiling the gear" idea (which I tried, though the benifit was short lived)...In looking at how the gear is attached, I can see why no "practical" solution has come forward to this nagging problem.
Pizza Guys' F18 acrylic stand (I have four), was a great idea, although I now use those with my 21st Century Sabres & Migs to represent thoses planes taking off (actually looks pretty cool), but wasn't quite the solution I was looking for for my F18s.
I know the problem is partially the plastic BBI used, but the gear design obviously plays a major role - I'm willing to bet they used the same plastic on the F16 main gear, but the design spread the weight evenly enough where there was no opportunity for "sag".
Here's hoping that somewhere out there, one of our really creative members (you know who you are), will have an "epiphany" (Like Matthew McConauhey had when he figured out the best way to kill the dragons in "Reign of Fire"), and come up with a workable solution.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI F18 Main Gear

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am

I've got the S1 Golden Dragons and now the S8 (or whatever) Sidewinder F-18s. I never had my S1 plane sitting on its gear for an extended period of time, but as with many early BBI products, they seemed to have used a softer plastic. I did have gear-sagging issues with my BBI Apache and Blackhawk (never mind the drooping rotors) and the missiles on my S1 F-16 got all bent out of shape.

The new BBI aircraft seem to be using harder plastics. I know that BBI did change the plastic used on the newest F-16's ordinance, used a harder plastic on the new Blackhawk rotors, and the landing gear feel sturdier on the new F-18.

I suspect they will hold up over time.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Exactly right on the F16 ordinance...Big difference between the "Wolfpack" and the second version!
I know it's wishful thinking on the F18 main gear...

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am

I can understand your concerns about sagging mains on these models. I went with Nathan (Pizzaguy's) short stands and now do not have to worry about the gears at all. The model is now being supported by the stand, which does not take anything away from the displayability of the plane.
JOC

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 am

I hope this helps some of you out. I started working on a new set of F18 rear landing gear. My goal it to get these cast in metal similiar to the F14 gear. Image.
Kroll was kind enough to send me his F18 gear and a set of skyworks F14 to recast. Hopefully I can get some free time to do a little more work on them. Looking for any feedback.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am

Nathan:
Great idea, but for me at the moment, your stands are all I need. They do their job and look well while doing it.
Thanks for all you have done for us in the past and for what will be coming in the future. If you want to post some photos of the lighted stands with the forward lighted extensions you made, go for it. Maybe someone else would like them. I sure like the way they extend the light towards the forward underbelly of the birds myself.
JOC

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

pizzaguy wrote:I hope this helps some of you out. I started working on a new set of F18 rear landing gear. My goal it to get these cast in metal similiar to the F14 gear. Image.
Kroll was kind enough to send me his F18 gear and a set of skyworks F14 to recast. Hopefully I can get some free time to do a little more work on them. Looking for any feedback.
Now I'm really excited! I've got 3 - F18s that need new main gear! Good for you, Pizzaguy, I hope you are able to produce these...I'm guessing I can figure out how to install these, but I would need mine pre-painted - Is that a possible option?
Please keep us posted on your progress!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Good luck Pizzaguy... But you'll also have to make a simple procedure for the replacement. I'm afraid in advance if I have to unscrew and open the F-18...

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm

456TBG,
Is the red devil main undercarriage really sturdier than the golden dragon one? Other comments, it seems that you have both...

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 am

Granch, the "Red Devils" gear is pretty solid & it's been displayed, gear down, for the last couple of years...
However, my "Golden Dragons", "Marauders" and "Jolly Rogers" are all leaning heavily!
So far (3-4 weeks), the "Sidewinders" version looks good. Only time will tell.
My biggest concern with replacement gear, like you mentioned, is how it is going to be installed...
We'll see...

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Pizzaguy, if you do the gear in metal for the F-18 and the F-14 you can count me in for three of each. I really appreciate the work you've done to further the hobby. I look forward to reading about your progress.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 am

I would say this would be a 5 on a 10 scale of difficulty. The biggest issue would be getting the plugs out and pulling off the exhaust nozzles. The plugs came out easy on my plane. I used an exacto knife to carefully pry the plugs out. The landing gear is held in by the wheel well by four screws. I modified the wheel well just a little so they will need recast. I figure if I'm going to recast I might as well add some detail. I might entertain the idea if someone wanted to send me the back half I could do the work.

My question is should I proceed. The general census is that if the install is to detailed there's little interest. I don't want to invest a bunch of time on a dead project.

I'm out if town, but when I get home I will post some images of the break down.

I'll look for some guidance from you guys.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm

My question is should I proceed. The general census is that if the install is to detailed there's little interest. I don't want to invest a bunch of time on a dead project.

First off, I would like to also thank Nathan for all he has done for the hobby, and have a couple of his stands myself. Quality work, and have them in constant use. :D

The metal landing gear for the Hornet is a good idea, but agree that the installation would have to be relatively simple for most of us. I am not going to take the model apart to make modifications, as I don't trust that it will go back together as it was, without a detailed pictorial on how to do it. And even then, not sure I would risk it.

I know. Chicken. :lol:

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Here's a quick break down.
Step 1. Remove nozzles. No Pic
Step 2. Remove plugs and screws.
Step 3. Seperate two sections.
Step 4. Unscrew wheel well.
Step 5. Picture of wheel well. I made a groove to stop the gear from swinging out to far.
Step 6. Picture of wheel support.

Assemble in reverse with new gear.

I don't see an option to make this a plug-n-play modifcation. One of the issues with the F14 Skyworks gear is that it doesn't fold up. I don't want the same issue hear. There would be about the same amount of work hacking off the old gear, cutting out the pivot portion and drilling a hole for the new gear. I'm open to ideas.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Pizzaguy,
Can you show us in a few time a prototype of the new landing gear, the needed new hole made and the gear in place?
Are you still on the idea of a metallic gear? If so or not, why not making also the front gear, eventualy with a moveable directionnal wheel, the landing lights (I'm not sure where they are)?
By the way, your pictures of dismounting and opening the beast seems very simple when showed by yourself, thank you!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 am

Made a little progress on the F18 gear. Not much, but had a few minutes to tinker. With the shock done I will start working on the linkages.
Old and new.

snake

Post by snake » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 pm

A big improvement, Nathan. 8)

Nice work.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 pm

I think it would be great not to have to worry about my Hornets having gear problems down the road. Can't wait to see the finished product.