WHERE IS JSI?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: WHERE IS JSI?

Post by King O' Fools » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 am

bobb428 wrote:Its amazing how most members on here just can't help whinning and bitching about every model produced. From the exhaust on the Dauntless to weathering and gear on the F-14. If these companies were not making anything then the bitching would stop. If companie reps read these boards, I could see why they would say screw it. It aint worth it!
Bob
P.s. I love all 3 of my Tomcats, good or bad Its one awesome plane!
Hi Bob,

You know the JSI F-14 was the sole reason almost every etailer on your side of the pond suddenly (after many years of 21st Century Toys QC snafus) stopped accepting returns on 1/18 items, don't you? That's why you can't return any defective JSI Spotcat. So you might as well love them. :lol:

From the Flying Mule website:
DISCLAIMER - Please Read
Please keep in mind that large scale plastic models are not scaled-up versions of their smaller diecast cousins. They are pre-assembled from a large number of components and production compromises are often made to keep them within reach of the casual collector's budget. Factory painting, glueing and alignment discrepencies are often visible upon close inspection.

. . .

In summary, with a little effort, these models can make fantastic, attention-grabbing showpieces from a reasonable viewing distance. Up close however, their more toy-like qualities will become apparent. We regret that we are unable to accept returns on these items for minor fit and finish issues.

Dude, good or bad JSI screwed up... It's a fact. :roll:

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

Snake:
PM sent.
JOC

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 am

I had the S1 Spot Cat and ended up selling it to a local guy after having it for a year. I took a loss on it and saved up a bit until I could buy the BK version. I’m very glad I have the BK. It has a fantastic finish and is the quality JSI should have come out with in the fist place. The F-14 is a very nice pane and I personally love it but, for the price it came with, JSI really did screw up. The S1 paint was a disaster and the gear was unacceptable. The funny thing is that they knew they screwed up too. I bet someone had their rear end handed to them on that one. You can love the model with all of its issues but it really doesn’t change the fact that this was the beginning of the end for JSI. Well that and all the legal issues with 21C.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:28 pm

smashing pumpkins the beginning of the end of the beginning or something like that :lol: :p51:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
Sir Winston Churchill 1942.

The idea to release a Tomcat was a good one. Execution and followthrough wasn't. Isn't that the way it goes though. Someone dropped the ball on a few things.

And that's besides the slithering snakery with 21stC. To top that they couldn't even release any new paint schemes from the 21stC airplanes they confiscated, but rather rehash Pudgy, Lucybell with a little paint wash, and the Rudel Stuka. Not that they were very good in their paint department anyways.

Maybe some other company should confiscate (or buy) that Tomcat mold, fix it of it's problems and sell it the right way, like Merit. :wink:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

snake

Post by snake » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm

bobb428 wrote:Its amazing how most members on here just can't help whinning and bitching about every model produced. From the exhaust on the Dauntless to weathering and gear on the F-14. If these companies were not making anything then the bitching would stop. If companie reps read these boards, I could see why they would say screw it. It aint worth it!
Bob
P.s. I love all 3 of my Tomcats, good or bad Its one awesome plane!

Granted, you would have to have a pretty tough skin to be a company rep, checking on these forums. And yes there is some negativity, sometimes unjust.

But in regards to JSI, and the S1 Tomcat, it is totally justified. They deserve to be raked over the coals for this release. The weathering was simply atrocious, and it should never have left the factory looking like that. They have absolutely no excuse for such an obvious blunder.

The landing gear, I can be more forgiving on, as it is much less obvious, and would take time to test this long term.

Granted, JSI did fix these issues with the Black Knights release, but the S1 Jolly Rogers was a monstrosity, that absolutely deserved all the criticism leveled at it.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 am

well it sounds like we all have mixed feelings, despite the spotcat release, the gear are my major concern and problem.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:05 pm

you know i always thought it was funny that jsi's prototype never had that awful spot complex, why would they release the production models like that then. even so some of the companies that sold the model, thier actual display model was the same way, no spots. kinda funny if you ask me. its almost like they did it on purpose, but why? they had to know this would piss alot of people off. and ruin thier cliental.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 am

I'm so proud to have the distinct honor of having named the S1 Version of the F14 "The Spotcat"....

But then, what else COULD it have been called...other than 'boondoggle'....

(Check via the search engine...I swear....)
Last edited by c44588 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am

......and I should have at least gotten another stripe for it....

Sgt.....has a nice ring to it.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:57 am

LOL :lol:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

So, for a serious question about a JSI product, can the ordinance from the S1 F-14 be displayed on the hardpoints for the S2 VF-154 aircraft or would I need to use the hardpoint mounting pieces from the S1 plane? In other words, could I display the VF-154 aircraft with the full air-to-air compliment of AIM-54s, AIM-9s, and AIM-12 missiles in addition to the bombs?

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 pm

I don't collect airplanes and i agree about the paint of the tomcat looking not too good.
But i don't think that was the reason for the company too shut down.
Heng long make 1/16 tanks and the colors are so bright that some colors almost look neon.Still people buy the tanks and heng long keep making more new stuff.
JSI sold a repaint of the Panther tank and the Tiger tank.The colors where pretty descent.
Price point of the tomcat was justify by not having a big contract with major department stores like wall mart.I am sure if it was a small airplane like a P-40,they would sell it for way less.But if you see i person how big and detailed the tomcat is,we can appreciate more the nature of the price.Quality on the wheels wasn't good,but so was the quality on the 21st century figures and some vehicles. So my guess is that they close for a different reason.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 am

well, despite all the bullshit that jsi caused between members, mixed feelings, and bull from companies that sell the tomcat, i still would love to know if they are still around, the s2 tomcat is awesome, the s1 was a flop to be honest, but it was fixable. jsi brought hope to us all in that maybe we had a company who wasn't afraid to make large scale 1/18 models like the f-14. i myself hope they are still around and are just busy cooking up that f-15 or something better. well guys i finally got my mustang by the way-07 model. so i got my toy, so i am not in too big of a hurry for a new 1/18 model, but if one came out and it looked as good as the s2 tomcat, i get one. so JSI WHERE ARE YOU, I MISS YOU! I'm sorry jsi, i didn't mean those things i said, but 2night i'm cleaning out my closet. (eminem)