WHERE IS JSI?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

WHERE IS JSI?

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Has anyone tried to contact JSI lately? Where is the F-15, the Su-27, has this young company died out already?

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: WHERE IS JSI?

Post by B-29 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:04 pm

thatf14guy wrote:Has anyone tried to contact JSI lately? Where is the F-15, the Su-27, has this young company died out already?
Well, their web page is gone now, and most of their products are getting hard to find. Combine this with Allgo's lawsuit against them for stealing the old 21st Century molds, I would say they are probably gone and Allgo got their molds back. Where that leaves the F-15 and SU-27 I have no clue. Maybe BBI? Just hope to see them produced some day.
Builder and Collector of RC Aircraft

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Well we have the F-14 for now, maybe the global economy caught with too. Sure would love to have a 1/18 F-15 thqt don't cost thousands of dollars!

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Think at best, JSI is in hibernation.

The F-14 should have been a big hit, but as a result of the "weathering", turned into a failure.

I would have loved to see the F-15, and Su 27 done in 1/18, but realistically, doubt we will see them anytime soon, if at all.

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:46 am

This is the only thing I got..... http://jsitoys.com/ :?
Last edited by normandy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am

yeah, they did seem to have alot of potiential, even with the weathering flop, the tomcat is just an amazing platform to work off. every repaint i've done and others have done just blow me away with how real they look/untoyish. to spite the frail landing gear/ could have used metal instead, the jsi f-14 is the most realistic 1/18 product out there that is affordable. i would love to see what else they can come up with.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

It's sad it No-Go succeeded in putting them out of business; but they are quite good at it, they have done it to themselves, twice.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 pm

I notice how the tanks are still available largely on ebay,but the price has increase. I don't know if the websites that had them still carry them.
The boxes on the tanks where really nice and better than 21st century toys and Motorworks.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Greetings

As nasty as it is to say, I hope both they (JSI) and All-Go are both dead. I really hope another company is able to buy the molds somehow and produce these models/toys in a way where excellent QC can be achieved and at a price point that works. Neither of these companies can seem to do that.

Although the F-14 was a 1/18 marvel, it was also a complete disaster. Collectors AND retailers voiced their concern over the production photos from the beginning and JSI hid through Merit and assured everyone it would be fine. Well it was not fine as the paint scheme was terrible with the weathering and upon getting thier F-14's, QC was once again found to be sub-standard. As a final laugh, the landing gear did not hold the plane for various reasons (too weak, missing parts, lack of proper deployment, etc.) and many F-14s died on their gear. Sure the Black Knights version was better, but by then the damage was done, I will never get an F-14 just because I'm scared to death of having one and at $300...not willing to spend it on something that is going to have snapped gear or vice versa.

The silver lining in all this is Merit recovered themselves nicely with the superb Dauntless they produced. I truly believe they set a new standard for 1/18 scale that is going to leave JSI, what is left of All-Go and even BBI scratching their heads to match it. I applaud Merit for their work in restoring the faith of 1/18 collectors in their name with the Dauntless.

I know a couple of JSI Stukas can be found on online retailers and BadCat got some extra stock F-14's. But I think the company gave up, and All Go should just be gone...they have had HOW MANY CHANCES to figure it out and just can't seem to do so. Pass the baton to someone who can already.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:09 am

I have to agree with Corey on this. I too hope All-Go is all gone. They dropped the ball numerous times and just need to call it a day. I really don’t expect much to ever develop there again.

As for JSI it sounds like they got caught up in some legal issues with 21C and it probably killed both of them. I love my Black Knights F-14 but the original release was crap. Too bad these companies can’t figure stuff out in advance. Especially the obvious.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:30 am

I'm in agreement with Corey and toyktdlgh - I hope they just go away and leave the manufacturing to someone with a better record.

A lot of their items were repaints and those that used the old 21c models were pretty decent. I was very unhappy that they made a Boyington version of the Corsair, both because it used the dated 21c tooling and because 21c already did that scheme as a limited edition, which then lost value. (If you didn't get the 21c version in 2004, then you should have missed out :twisted: )

The F-14 both showed the potential and the limits of 1:18 scale - you can go big and detailed, but then QC can suffer and the size becomes too impractical. The F-14 had tons of working parts and detail features, which are all something that has to be assembled and which means they are something that can get broken or left out during the production process. Then there is the size. I could display two "normal" sized 1:18 aircraft in the space of one F-14 and it really is a beast to handle and move around. Never mind having to move it around without worrying about breaking something like the gears. To keep it up out of the way and protect the gears, I hung my model and its remained hanging pretty much since early 2010.

For a counter example, BBI made big jets, but they are relatively simple in design without too many small details and they were smaller jets in the scale of things. As a consequence, the BBI jets are sturdy and easier to handle. Still, don't get me wrong on the F-14 as I really like my S1 version - even though I had to do a complete repaint to hide the spots have leave it hangin without ever taking it down.

After the experience with the F-14, I'm rather glad 21c didn't do a B-25 or even an F-4 Phantom as they would have suffered from similar size/detail/QC issues as did the JSI F-14.

Ah, well. Enough of a rant for now :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

You know who I think should pick up the 1/18 F-14, Tamiya, I have done every tomcat version that they havbe come out with since 1994. Love them, the detail is simply amazing.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Merit has shown they can handle managing a decent 1:18 aircraft project. Whoever is in control of the QC process from start to finish aught to be commended for a successful and fine product.

JSI can take a flying leap off a cliff or go down the tubes permanently. Not only for their crappy F-14, but for all the thievery they did. Never bought any of their ill gotten gain never will!!! :twisted:

Allgo, yeah they tried but failed lately. I don't hold much hope for anything from them but even though the 1:18 planes they supposedly own might be theirs, all but a few are old dated molds anyways. It's time to move on.
I did wish they could have made a success of the 1:32 planes ("in the pipe") with out regurgitating two old ones most collectors have, a recipe for failure. To this day nobody has seized upon this market, no one is putting anything out. Opportunity lost.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 am

Well i wouldn't say that the f-14 was crappy, just the weathering, but they could have used metal landing gear for sure, specially with a 25lb. model!!

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 am

Well i wouldn't say that the f-14 was crappy, just the weathering, but they could have used metal landing gear for sure, specially with a 25lb. model!!

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

thatf14guy wrote:Well i wouldn't say that the f-14 was crappy, just the weathering, but they could have used metal landing gear for sure, specially with a 25lb. model!!

Fair enough, but the atrocious attempt at weathering simply ruined it, and was very noticeable from a far distance. Strike 1, 2 and 3 right there.

And the landing gear problem was simply the death knell for the model.

Consumers simply lost all confidence in the JSI Tomcat, and they never recovered from this.

I do understand that some collectors are happy enough with theirs, but that is usually after a full repaint {sometimes in a different squadron }, and either a stand, or the metal landing gear. This adds substantially to the cost, and it becomes a very niche model, and not something for the average collector.

I do enjoy seeing the pics of some of the fabulous customs that were done, and think that they are fantastic, but you now have a $500 model.

YT

Post by YT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

thatf14guy wrote:Well i wouldn't say that the f-14 was crappy, just the weathering, but they could have used metal landing gear for sure, specially with a 25lb. model!!
I totally agree, and I am very glad that it got made. I would have preferred not to repaint it, but oh well. The gear on mine was never put down, I hung it up straight away.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 pm

As a fan of the Tomcat I am thankful JSI made it. I know the QC issues were rampant but all in all I'm happy with my spotcat. The paint hasn't bothered me to the extent I've bought an airbrush. And although sagging after 2 years on my flight deck she is still supported only by her original gear.

I'm not sure I'm ready to echo the sentiments of the senior members in applauding the company's demise however. Merit is showing how 1/18 can be done correctly and I'm saving money in order to get my hands on one. And though I am hopeful Merit will continue to produce models I am not putting my eggs in that particular basket. I would be happy to buy JSI F-15 or SU-27 and would do so in a heart beat, largely because I don't think any other company would dare to do so. Even if there is a company which would I'm not sure the product would be free of defects and if it were I'd think the product would be more expensive. JSI didn't produce a perfect product by any stretch of the imagination, nor did it do so in a timely manner. That being said I am for any company making new products in this hobby since they are few and far between.

That being said I might bump the S2 F-14 in front of the Dauntless for my next purchase. As I said when I started this entry at heart I'm a Tomcat fan.

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 pm

I agree with Big Mike,
I am happy when a company attempts new products especially the F-14. The spotcat was a debacle but it could be overcome and the gear aside it is an outstanding static display model with great features. I redid the first one I bought and it has skyworks gear. The second one I got was the Black Knights and the third I have a TKO done one and I am repainting that to Miss Molly. I was so hoping for a F-15 from JSI. Likely we will never see one in 1/18 now.

bobb428
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bobb428 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 am

Its amazing how most members on here just can't help whinning and bitching about every model produced. From the exhaust on the Dauntless to weathering and gear on the F-14. If these companies were not making anything then the bitching would stop. If companie reps read these boards, I could see why they would say screw it. It aint worth it!
Bob
P.s. I love all 3 of my Tomcats, good or bad Its one awesome plane!

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 am

i agree, it sure is great platform for repaints, the jolly rogers, or spotcat, was a big mistake on part for jsi, but a lot companies have done the same in the past, even with modern model companies i still find flaws here and there. this one did take the cake though, the whole plane look like it was painted to go dalmation hunting or something. atleast the next release wasn't zebra striped. but all in all the f-14 is a great plane, even with its flaws.

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:48 pm

bobb428 wrote:Its amazing how most members on here just can't help whinning and bitching about every model produced. From the exhaust on the Dauntless to weathering and gear on the F-14. If these companies were not making anything then the bitching would stop. If companie reps read these boards, I could see why they would say screw it. It aint worth it!
Bob
P.s. I love all 3 of my Tomcats, good or bad Its one awesome plane!
+1

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 pm

hopefully i can get 6 of these
whats up doc....

Krevix44
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Krevix44 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 pm

I personally hope AllGo come back in full force! He formerly 21st and i love there planes!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

Bobb428

I don't see anyone whining or bitching in this thread about anything. The people posting criticisms of the JSI F-14 are posting very vaild complaints about this piece. These were complaints that killed this model for many folks and ruined the reputation of JSI before it could even be established.

The bottom line no matter how much someone can chest thump that they love the F-14 is that the aircraft was never tested with its weight on the gear. Had JSI done this, they would have realized that the F-14 would never stand up on its gear for long periods of time without the gear giving out. The fact that they tried to hide behind their retailers only made problems worse. And we know there was a problem with the gear because on the S-2 version, it was upgraded and redesigned.

The paint is a bit easier to forgive but honestly, what a mess as well.

Both companies have had ample opportunities to get things right. It isn't that the products aren't a good idea and some are not cool, because they are. But seriously both these companies must have absolutely inept management if they don't realize by now why they can't get going on what is a market they could thrive in with not a lot of rivals. They just don't get it! I also can't believe the retailers continue to be interested in their prodcuts with so many false promises, assurances of better quality and talk of new leadership that has really never materialized.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube