A realistic option for merit

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

A realistic option for merit

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:47 pm

So, what do we think the next realistic option for merit is? Something that will sell well.

I guess a new dauntless scheme is on the way.

Honestly, I could see an A10 (Or other large military jet like an F4) coming. I personally don't like them though. I'm a ww2 bird fan. :lol: Now, do you think they will give up ground vehicles for good?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Re: A realistic option for merit

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Merit has made the 1/16 T34-85, why dont they make a classic M4A4 Sherman in 1/16? the only one I know of is Tamiya's which is very pricey... There are conversion kits made to go on Mato's Sherman but they are not cheap either plus you need the Mato Sherman.... Since it is one of the most popular tanks of all time I dont get why someone has not made it??? Am I missing something???

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 pm

They should release something modern and WWII. Like you said a Phantom or A-10. I personally wouldn't buy them as I'm a WWII fan also, but it would please a lot of people, and it seems to be their plan already with repainted jet releases along with the SBD. Most would like a new tooling though.

Make an aircraft in WWII that hasn't been made in 1:18. Even the least knowledgeable people who don't know much about aircraft would recognize them.

I will say iconic variations of fighter aircraft already done, with a proven selling record and enough paint schemes to make a number of them.

Picklehaube, Skyworks, and others (?) have done this by modifying existing aircraft into earlier or later models of them because they weren't available and people wanted them, so they bought the kits or had them modified for them. Some didn't have the modeling skills or in the case of Skyworks, could afford these modified 21stC planes. Why not make them now?

What are they?...
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

harrier jump jet may i say more right size
whats up doc....

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 am

Something everyone knows... not another P51. :evil: :lol:
--Samuel Beckett

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:03 am

Every company making a run for A-10 went out of business. I guess it's the lost Ark. :D
A-4,F-5E and MiG-21 haven't been attempted. They are simple,small with great schemes and should cost way less than F-16 and Black Hawk. Who's with me?
After MiG-21 is done, the Phantom won't be far.
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtlin550][img]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/34784/2860792140071430623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img][/url]
A photo database dedicated to all 1/18 F-14 repainted squadrons.
Click it. Accept submissions today!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:20 am

The problem isn't making the A-10, it's not making it. If you build it they will come.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:49 am

flyboy_fx wrote:Something everyone knows... not another P51. :evil: :lol:
Right agreed, not another P-51D pleeze, got enough of those myself, but a P-51B/C.
That and a FW-190A, Stuka G Tankbuster , and P-40E are all mods I've seen PH or Skyworks do parts for or completed planes. I've wanted all of those but don't have the time to do the mods, or couldn't afford completed aircraft. What, they were $500 to $700 for a "Shangri La" or Aleutian Tiger at Military Toy Shop at one time? :shock:

We don't have any of those in 1:18, they are commonly known and "realistic".

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am

Just thinking out loud here, so humor me…Merit released their 1:24 scale pre built P-51 and BF 109, based on a pre-existing model kit, The 1:16 Tiger I and T-34 are based on previously released RC tanks from Trumpeter, The 1:350 Hornet is based on the Trumpeter model kit, and the fantastic SBD Dauntless is based on a model kit from all the recon We can gather…so if Merit is to release more pre-built military aircraft and vehicles…I would only assume they will target existing molds: built on already produced kits…subjects that come to mind: The Trumpeter 1:16 King Tiger, the HK models 1:32 B-24, some of the other 1:16 RC molds out there like the KV1. BUT MAYBE just MAYBE…if sales are strong enough Merit could get with the mold makers and really set this hobby on it’s ear…hope they do…just thinking out loud
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm

A-1 Skyraider, the A-4 Skyhawk and the Mig-21.

I actually have a preference and it's one of my favorite aircraft. I'd buy it immediately and I don't care the version however it's way too big and not that popular. What's the name? That would be the A-6 Intruder.

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Stearman PT-17...tons and tons of paint possibilities...could even do the Red Barron Pizza paint for more retail appeal. or even an AT-6

but I will settle for an F4 Phantom PLEASE!

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Yoxford wrote:Just thinking out loud here, so humor me…Merit released their 1:24 scale pre built P-51 and BF 109, based on a pre-existing model kit, The 1:16 Tiger I and T-34 are based on previously released RC tanks from Trumpeter, The 1:350 Hornet is based on the Trumpeter model kit, and the fantastic SBD Dauntless is based on a model kit from all the recon We can gather…so if Merit is to release more pre-built military aircraft and vehicles…I would only assume they will target existing molds: built on already produced kits…subjects that come to mind: The Trumpeter 1:16 King Tiger, the HK models 1:32 B-24, some of the other 1:16 RC molds out there like the KV1. BUT MAYBE just MAYBE…if sales are strong enough Merit could get with the mold makers and really set this hobby on it’s ear…hope they do…just thinking out loud
OK, now you've piqued my interest! A 1/32 scale B-24? That would be so awesome, I cannot imagine!
I've got a couple of FM 1/48 B-24s with a wingspan of 27 1/2"...What would that be in 1/32 scale?
Prebuilds, made from existing kits, I'm all over that!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 pm

the next most likely thing from Merit will be either a p-51b/c or a wildcat....probably the wildcat.

not what i'd prefer to see but that's what we're likely to see.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Out of left field----a Mosquito since Admiral's 1/18 version never took off.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:49 pm

aferguson wrote:the next most likely thing from Merit will be either a p-51b/c or a wildcat....probably the wildcat.

not what i'd prefer to see but that's what we're likely to see.
It is hard to find a Butch OHare F4F Wildcat in any scale.

I'm surprised we never got the F6F Hellcat ace of aces David McCampbell's "Minsi III" in a Merit / BBI release.

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:13 am

The F4F would be cool but a catastrophe when it came to landing gear unless it was correctly

just my 2 cents

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:45 am

whats up doc....

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 am

Lots of options they could pursue, but I would like to see a FW 190A.

A popular model in 1/32, and other scales, and the 21 Century 1/18 Dora's leave something to be desired.

Lots of Luftwaffe aces, and schemes that could be done as well. :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:00 pm

FW-190A or an F4F Wildcat for me. They seem like logical choices. An FW-190A is strangely missing from the 1:18 aircraft inventory and an F4F logically goes with the Dauntless and is another historically-important aircraft strangely missing.

The F4F's gear would be a problem, but if they could be done (and accepted by collectors) as a plug in place assembly, they would work fine. BBI did this with their 1:32 scale F4F and it works quite nicely.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I still think if we are talking about a "realistic option" then you need to look at existing molds that Merit could take advantage of, and Merit seems to lean toward Trumpeter kits/molds, even the Dauntless if based on the Hobby Boss kit, produced mold work for Trumpeter...now if we are in the "I wish they would upon a star" mode then yes a Wildcat would fit well with the Dauntless, or a Val...woudn't that go well with the BBI Zero?
and I would always welcome a FW-190A
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:12 pm

The Merit Dauntless does need some company of early Pacific WWII carrier based warplanes.
I would say a F4F Wildcat would be the best choice for that. Start off with a Coral Sea version.
There's many USN aces that started in the Wildcat. Certainly would look good next to that SBD and the BBI Zeroes.
Then again, why not complete the 1941-1942 trilogy of carrier aircraft with one of these?

Delving into probably totally unrealistic territory here, but they did accompany the Dauntless on it's most famous early battles.
Less known than the little F4F too, and just about as awkward looking. :?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

But, will it sell?
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 am

flyboy_fx wrote:But, will it sell?
Probably not. An obscurity, though the 1/72 Skymax Devastators do well and the Midway version is sold out.

Even the F4F could be iffy. The BBI 1/32 Wildcat hung around for quite a while after the Dauntless had long sold out. It's pretty much gone now, but face it the little tubby F4F is about as ugly as you can get, though somewhat famous.

"A realistic option for Merit" narrows the field if you think about the risk of making something that maybe an outstanding model, but doesn't sell. We all want our pet planes, but it's a business and would have to be a practical choice.

There's such a shortage of new planes that would anything new in 1:18 be in demand?

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 pm

While still partial to the skyraider, I'd like to see another Dauntless. Why? Then there'd be more of 'em and (hopefully) with that they'd be more easy to buy. Still shaking my head as I type this that I can't buy one of my favorite airplanes (the Dauntless) because they're simply too damn expensive.