So...what's next for Merit?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

So...what's next for Merit?

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 am

The Dauntless is all the rave. The reviews show this to be a smash hit. The Midway scheme will do just the same. Mine comes in next week. Can't wait.

Therefore BRAVO to Merit International. We are proud of your accomplishments on this!!

Hearing that Merit is already looking for the next model, here's my take on what I think would make sense for them based on potential high sales, not necessarily what I really want.

If WWII,

Wildcat - small simple design, except for the landing gears. If this is made please do plug and play. The Dauntless' gear is very simple in real life and their model was well engineered to replicate it in scale. Wildcat's has multiple hinge links. Gonna be hard to engineer a retractable gear on this one. Lots of schemes and history.

Spitfire - Yep it's been done but there's no more mold. BBI did the Bf109G and there's was better than the other guy's. Lots of history and more schemes than one could count. This too is a no brainer

FW-190A - Basically any of the radial engined versions of this. Read post above re: Spitfire.

P-38 - Same thing as above. 21st's gears are what made me not like this one. The main's retract the wrong direction and sit too far aft. Not very well detailed either.

If post WWII,

Skyraider - Repaint potential, history, and ordinance galore!! Cool!!

If jet?,

A-4 Skyhawk - Big jets are risky and extremely expensive. The A-4 is about the size of a single engined WWII fighter. It's a simple design with simple landing gear. Plus ordinance options. Lots of repaint potential including the Blue Angels and foreign squadrons (especially Australia and New Zealand). If BBI ever re-releases a BA Hornet, this would create huge demand for a Skyhawk BA.

Some might say the A-7 would be a good choice being that it also is smallish. Eh, I don't think so. Not as well known as the A-4, very complex landing gears, and its nickname is "SLUFF". A-4's is "Scooter". A-4 wins.

F-100 is a stretch. Very nice looking plane. Not too complex, lots of cool paint scheme potential including Thunderbirds and foreign squadrons. Might be too large though.

I too would prefer an A-6 Intruder or F-4 or F-15 but they are too large and complex at this stage of the game for Merit in my opinion.

Thoughts?

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: So...what's next for Merit?

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 am

I was thinking about this the other day as well...

It seems that Merit listened and observed what collectors wanted. We've been wanting a Dauntless for years now, went through the Admiral Toys debacle, and then Merit ultimately carried through with the idea.

I won't go into long wishlists or anything, but a couple aircraft (both from WWII) do stand out in my mind as logical next steps:

F4F Wildcat
This would pair with the Dauntless very well. I've always liked my BBI 1:32 scale SBD and F4F pairing and it would be great to have it in 1:18. Lots of paint schemes to choose from as well. As this was the USN fighter in the early decisive years of the Pacific Theater in WWII, there is the obvious historical significance. The complicated landing gear could be an issue, but if a plug-in-place design is perhaps used (as on the BBI 1:32 model) they could be made to look very accurate and remain robust.

FW-190A
While I still have a feeling BBI may tackle this one eventually, Merit could do just as well. This is another historic aircraft that is oddly lacking from the 1:18 world (I won't count 21c's FW-190D9 as that was not the common variant). Obviously tons of repaint possibilities and variations that could be made using the same basic tooling: fighter, ground attack, etc. 21c's 1:32 FW-190As and Fs show how easily a standard FW-190 tooling can be converted to different types, as do all the 1:48 scale Hobby Master FW-190s.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 am

i think they will play it safe and do another american plane. Most likely a p-51b/c or a wildcat.

Had i my druthers, i'd prefer a spit ix or xiv.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am

Assuming its going to be a World War II era plane, some more candidates:

1. SB2C Helldiver
2. F8F Bearcat
3. Hawker Hurricane

But I'm still hoping someone releases 1/18 World War I fighters (Sopwith Camel, SE5A) since Admiral has apparently passed away.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 am

I'd hope they would go with WWII aircraft that actually saw some combat and I don't believe the Bearcat did.

I think the Hurricane should be next out of the three you listed.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am

A Skyraider would be amazing plane but on the large size.

Here is a pic of Admirals protype from a Toy Fair long ago.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

Just for comparison, that is a 1/18 corsair next to it.

Just kidding
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 am

I would love to see a Val dive bomber in 1/18.
www.TheLiterateShow.com

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 am

flyboy_fx wrote:
Just kidding

We know

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:45 pm

I would like to see more Japanese fighters made. The Zero needs some company.

# 1 a Jack
# 2 a Tony
#3 a George

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm

P-40E Kittyhawk.

After the 21stC Tomahawk I kept hoping for the next P-40 in Kittyhawk form.
More choices of paint schemes available.

P-51B/C

More OD schemes available than the mostly silver D's we have, but plenty of silver ones as well to choose from.

Not saying we would get a flood of different schemes like the old days, but at least they wouldn't run out of ideas for a while and could churn out quite a few to justify the development costs if needed.

Both of these are iconic have mass appeal and are easily recognizable by most anyone who may not even know much about warbirds.
those just getting into the hobby would buy them.
Most probably in high demand by 1:18 collectors as well because we don't have them, they haven't been made yet.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Stearman talk about repaints!!!

F4 Phantom No Doubt would sell out - put me down for the first 3

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Think the smart move would be a Wildcat and A4 for the jet crowd just because of size and cost. but for excitement factor in the field would be the F-4, A-10, and Spad.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Mil-24 Hind Helicopter would be nice

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Time for the A-10 Warthog in 1/18 scale!!! Bring it on Merit...... :D I think the higher price point phobia is being put to rest a bit as the market for 1/18 scale aircraft is showing acceptance when the end product is done right. Also helps when it is a "new" subject and not one that is rehashed and was sold for a much lower price years before with little to no improvement.

Hope we see this grow into more than just WWII.

Oh, and as for the A-1's size, it's no small bird in 1/18 scale. I was fortunate enough to put my eyes and hands on Admiral's and it's a beast.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:22 am

Deleted post as saw Flyboy's comment on aircraft scale was a joke :lol:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 pm

A-4, F-4 would be nice (and, why not F-5, or definitively modern, a F-117, a Predator...), but I would love a MIL MI-24.

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Think a FW 190 A short nose, and a Spitfire would be the best choices, IMO.

The 21 Century FW 190 was a D, and not very well done. The Spitfire suffered from some issues as well, and just didn't look right.

Both aircraft are important WWII fighters, with lots of schemes, and sales potential. And 21 Century dropped the ball on both of these, and think 1/18 collectors would be willing to pay for a much better model, particularly the FW 190A.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 pm

An A model 190 has been so neglected. Man I'd love to see Priller's ride done up. :mrgreen:

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:22 am

snake wrote:Think a FW 190 A short nose, and a Spitfire would be the best choices, IMO.

The 21 Century FW 190 was a D, and not very well done. The Spitfire suffered from some issues as well, and just didn't look right.

Both aircraft are important WWII fighters, with lots of schemes, and sales potential. And 21 Century dropped the ball on both of these, and think 1/18 collectors would be willing to pay for a much better model, particularly the FW 190A.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:

I'm with you on the Spitfire. The canopy just never looked right to me. The shape of it was not quite right, or the proportions were off somehow. I always wished somebody had made a replacement.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 am

My personal wish is a P-39, but I know I am in the minority on that wish. Of the popular warbirds I would like a FW-190, Hurricane or Tempest. Of the lesser known warbirds my choices would be a KI-44, Yak-3 or KI-84.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:58 am

A6M3 Zero type 22/32- maybe make it were you can buy the type 32 wings seperately (more $ for the company) or as an extra option in the box. Plenty of color schemes for those.

A6M5 Zero

Ki-61 Tony

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Does Merit do 1:18 Armor? :P

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 am

My 1/18th wish list ;

A-6E TRAM
F-111E/F
F-15E
A-4E/M

Also hoping that SOMEBODY would make bombs, missles, LANTIRN pods etc. so we could customize our big jets.
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

Long Time Luker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Long Time Luker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I know it'd be expensive. And I know it's been requested to death, but I'd really like an A-10. I don't even need all the pods and/or armament, just the plane. I started active duty at RAF Bentwaters in the 80's, and at the time we were the largest tactical fighter wing in the world with 110 A-10's on station. Love those planes, and in later years those ugly hogs pulled my butt out of some nasty spots in Afghanistan.

There'd be a couple of paint schemes they could do, old NATO green and the current gray, perhaps with sharks teeth.

Maybe someone from Merit could come on and ballpark a cost for us?