Enough to make you weep.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
STUKA
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Enough to make you weep.

Post by STUKA » Mon May 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Sigh...I remember passing on the $39 dollar planes because i new if i waited they would go down to $15 - The whole clearance issue was the reason the planes sat on shelves for ever - we were all waiting.....
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm

During the heyday of XD, I am very glad I got what I did and hung on to what I have thus far (having a very representative collection because of it) but in many ways, I wish I'd taken greater advantage of things the way they were. Getting another "Herman Graff" BF-109, the Cammo AH-1s and Huey Slicks at the local Hobby Town, or a couple more halftracks just to stick away...

Between 2003 and 2008, I was both in school and working a variety of part-time jobs. I could get some items, just not everything. Had I been full-time employeed with gainful wages and my own house, I'd have been in a very good position to collect a whole lot more, but things didn't go quite that way during the "Golden Age." Still, I count myself lucky to have been in this hobby from the beginning (Fall 2000) and am overall pleased with what I've managed to accumulate so far :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 am

Heck, me too Tman. I have roughly two dozen 1/18 planes that I got during the end times (Walmart) age. My harder to find items such as the P-47 bubbletop, and Golden Dragon 1/18 were purchased from forum members.

Still can't believe I have these beautiful, huge models hanging on my wall, with most being under $60.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 30, 2013 9:46 am

How do you know you went to a lot of Wal Marts back in the day? You see a Wal Mart you visited in another town on one of those "Low Price Guarantee" Wal Mart commercials. (You know, the ones with that with that annoying guy talking to "real people" to show how much they saved...)

I just saw one of those commercials the other day featuring the Santa Clarita, CA, Wal Mart store. I visited that one a number of times on road trips to Southern California, especially during the "Golden Age". Never found a lot, but on occasion, I did not come away empty handed :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."