1/18 P-38 NIGHTFIGHTER??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/18 P-38 NIGHTFIGHTER??

Post by gliderdwm » Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Did I miss something? Which version was the nightfighter. I thought that series 4 was only a prototype and never 1 released .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Force-1-1 ... 33764a41b0

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: 1/18 P-38 NIGHTFIGHTER??

Post by JOC » Sat May 19, 2012 1:46 pm

The link you included shows a Mustang. I have a custom P-38 all black nightfighter with added rear cockpit and canopy for radar operator. I have photos but do not know how to link them to this sight. I have them on a MAC computer.
Really cool looking black P-38 with custom radar dome on nose etc. I someone is willing to let me email some of the photos to them and then post to this thread, let me know.
JOC

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat May 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Here are JOC's pictures. Very cool custom

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat May 19, 2012 5:52 pm

If you read the link I posted he says that the rarest planes are the 109 prototype and the P-38 nightfighter. I thought the P-38 nightfighter was never released so it could not be one of the rarest.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat May 19, 2012 8:37 pm

gliderdwm wrote:If you read the link I posted he says that the rarest planes are the 109 prototype and the P-38 nightfighter. I thought the P-38 nightfighter was never released so it could not be one of the rarest.

I have not heard that the P-38 nightfighter was released so I would tend to agree.

I am just completely baffled as to why someone goes through so much trouble to list items that he (most likely) doesn't have or will not sell for the prices listed. after all that he has been through he has like 6 selling feedback left for him. I wish I had his spare time.

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 pm

It's covered in cheap spray paint, I'm going to guess, it WAS a nice custom job.
100% not a prototype or unreleased project.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Keith B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Keith B » Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 am

Did you see his offering of 1/18 prototype of bbi F-4?

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Sun May 20, 2012 11:00 am

Jolly Roger wrote:It's covered in cheap spray paint, I'm going to guess, it WAS a nice custom job.
I just had these photos posted to show a one of kind that was available many years ago. The person who did this has long left the board because of nit-picking ( can spray paint comments etc. members.
Why does someone always have to look for the bad and not at something that someone worked hard to produce?
I like it, that's why I bought it more than three-years ago. I haven't seen any other (expert) pert pert, come up with one like it.
Can't some of you just enjoy something without picking it apart? I am not an expert modeler, in any sense of the word, but at least I have the ability to appreciate someones time and effort.
I wasn't and am not looking for you guys to Hoop and Holler as to how great this is, the main thing is I like it, only one I have and its different and I was only sharing. Maybe that was my mistake. Maybe I had better move back to the rear and just enjoy some of the one of a kinds I have. Oh, I do have an F-86 Sabre that Jackson and his brother (of the Decal Fame) made for me "Mig Mad Marine." would put it up, but not into anymore negatives, it too is one-of-a-kind, and at least I like it.
Jolly, do you have one of these better?
JOC

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 am

i think that nightfighter custom is really cool. I wish 21c had released something like that...so many things that could have been...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 pm

JOC wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:It's covered in cheap spray paint, I'm going to guess, it WAS a nice custom job.
I just had these photos posted to show a one of kind that was available many years ago. The person who did this has long left the board because of nit-picking ( can spray paint comments etc. members.
Why does someone always have to look for the bad and not at something that someone worked hard to produce?
I like it, that's why I bought it more than three-years ago. I haven't seen any other (expert) pert pert, come up with one like it.
Can't some of you just enjoy something without picking it apart? I am not an expert modeler, in any sense of the word, but at least I have the ability to appreciate someones time and effort.
I wasn't and am not looking for you guys to Hoop and Holler as to how great this is, the main thing is I like it, only one I have and its different and I was only sharing. Maybe that was my mistake. Maybe I had better move back to the rear and just enjoy some of the one of a kinds I have. Oh, I do have an F-86 Sabre that Jackson and his brother (of the Decal Fame) made for me "Mig Mad Marine." would put it up, but not into anymore negatives, it too is one-of-a-kind, and at least I like it.
Jolly, do you have one of these better?
JOC
I Don't care, I was merely stating it was not a unproduced item of any kind, and the quality of the spray paint would be the key reason. I never said it was a bad custom. Just not up to par with factory quality. You read too much into my comment.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am

Thank You for suggesting I not read things into your comments. I could get the same advise from my VA doctor, but at least with you, I do not have to drive 110 miles to Seattle.
JOC

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon May 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Really nice custom...I love the P38, have all 7 of the "stock" 21st Century Lightenings...

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Great Custom, I'm Jealous! ;-)

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Nice custom Joc. I wish I had some one of these. It would fit into my collection nicely. :mrgreen:

Eric

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 pm

I think JOC and Buckyroo are troublemakers and should think about how their actions affect others members before making postings like these.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 pm

My statement wasn't complete. I should have said "...how it affects the other members and the aircraft they own before posting....".

Ok, why did I say that? I looked at JOC's P-38 and thought to myself "that's a cool (sorry, first word that came to mind) canopy". I then looked at the details and saw the hood mount in the interior and thought of an A-6 intruder I'd built many years ago (thanks for the memory). And then even the back-seater. Not sure why but it just looked right.

Ok, back to my statement(s). I've been wanting to build a 2-seater but didn't have the plane/money/time/reason... to do it. Then last week my 10 year old brought up the subject and then JOC has to go and show us a really cool plane. So what's the cost?

JOC/Buckyroo the Mig-15 below wasn't harmin' anyone. It was sitting on the shelf collecting dust and minding it's own business. Then you guys gotta go and show the rest of us the cool (again, sorry for the nomer) P-38. That got the dremel a hummin' and cut-away I went.

See, it wasn't harmin' anyone.

...and I bet it hurt too!

JOC/Buckyroo what you did when you took the time to post the picks was show the rest of us what this hobby is about. Believe me, many of us looked at the pics and simply admired what was done. And as in many cases when pics are shown, we go farther and break out the google and start lookin' around. I do that often with armor and when I see a well-made piece I ask myself "What's the history behind this?" and perhaps learn a little.

Sorry if I took this a little off course but to both JOC and Buckyroo I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are others who saw the pics and thought "wow, that looks cool". And to that I say "thanks guys".

Moderators - if my pics and comments compromised this post in any way please feel free to delete.

snake

Post by snake » Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm

A great looking custom P-38, JOC.

I think it is very well done, and as long as you like it, wouldn't worry about one negative comment. Think the positive comments and thoughts far outweigh the one negative response. :wink:

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 am

No, it wasn't. It was airbrushed and the pics don't do it justice, I'm a terrible photographer and the flash gave it an exceedingly grainy look. Also no one claimed it was a factory prototype or unreleased project, it is something I did myself, purely a custom and I've done several FYI.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:04 am

I am the one that made this custom P-38M and sold it to JOC. To all the naysayers, if you don't know the facts, then don't assume. That's "one" of the reasons I don't frequent this board much anymore but mainly the reason I don't frequent any forum anymore is purely medical. 43 and just had a triple bypass, I've been in a wheelchair for almost a year due to a nerve disease in my spine, have a tumor in one part of my body and being checked for a spot found on one of my lungs. I also did the Rufe floatplanes, Reichenbergs, A6M2K's, several F-86 repaints, Bf-109 butterfly tail, 109 Udet racer, Val, Frank, and I can go on and on...and on. I have a regular clientele and don't advertise on forums or even ebay. I don't care if someone picks apart stuff, I've come to realize that most that do flame customs, not all the guys, but most, couldn't build their way out of a wet paper bag so I take it with a grain of salt.

And JOC, glad you're still happy with the Shady Lady. Does the RO's scope still lite up? :D

Buckyroo wrote:Here are JOC's pictures. Very cool custom

Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 26, 2012 10:16 am

i didn't know you did all that stuff. Like i said above, i think the P38 nightfighter looks dandy. Even has the flash guards on the nose guns. And a light up scope to boot. Really nifty.

Good to hear from you VMF. I hope you can get your medical issues straightened out some day. You sure have a plate full right now.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:23 am

aferguson wrote:i didn't know you did all that stuff. Like i said above, i think the P38 nightfighter looks dandy. Even has the flash guards on the nose guns. And a light up scope to boot. Really nifty.

Good to hear from you VMF. I hope you can get your medical issues straightened out some day. You sure have a plate full right now.
Thanks Andrew. Everytime I go to the VA seems like they find something else. Even after the triple CABG I still need a stint to boot. All I can say is, open heart surgery sucks! I thought I knew what pain was, oh man not even close.

I still have the masters for the P-38M upgrade and may do some more, drop me a line if any one is interested. The upgrade parts are both vacuformed and resin cast but keep in mind, I have a backlog.

As far as the "21st" night fighter, the one they showed eons ago was merely their standard P-38 mold painted black. No RO cockpit, no radome, just simply a painted black P-38 what J model I think.?.
Last edited by vmf214 on Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Sat May 26, 2012 10:59 am

VMF214:
PM sent
JOC

snake

Post by snake » Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Well said, vmf214.

And very sorry to hear about your numerous medical issues. I do hope that things get better for you, but seems like you have a good attitude about it.

Positive thoughts sent your way.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 pm

VMF, The black you painted didn't have a metallic fleck to it did it?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"