self hypnosis and XD

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

self hypnosis and XD

Post by aferguson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm

i have successfully used self hypnosis techniques to make 1/16 tanks appear to be 1/18 tanks.

i'm waiting for the laughing to die down.

no joke though. Several days ago, i jokingly thought to myself that i should go see a hypnotist and get him to make me see my 1/16 tanks as 1/18 tanks. Because i hate the size difference.

Being cheap, i didn't want to pay to go to a hypnotist....plus i don't think i'd trust the guy anyway. So i looked up self hypnosis techniques out of curiosity. They seemed pretty simple but the whole thing look rather flakey to me. However, that night as i was lying in bed i decided i'd give it a whirl.

I followed the techniques and guess what?.....nothing happened the next day when i got up. So to be a little more scientific about it, i placed my 1/16 panzer iii beside a 1/18 panzer iv on a table and left them there. That night i tried the hypnosis again.

The next morning i got up and happened to glance at the two tanks i had set out (i'd totally forgotten about the whole thing at the moment). For a second the 1/16 panzer iii actually looked smaller than the panzer iv to me. It startled me and i looked again at them and they looked back to normal.......the panzer iii bigger than the panzer iv.

I figured it was just groginess making me see things wrong but that night i tried once again. This time in the morning i didn't 'fight it' when i looked at the two tanks...i just accepted what i saw. Again, the panzer iii looked smaller to me than the panzer iv. I went and showered and the panzer iii still looked smaller than the panzer iv. This was starting to freak me out a bit and a few minutes later when i looked again, they were back to normal, in that the panzer iii looked bigger than the panzer iv.

I've continued with this approach for the last few nights. Some nights i fall asleep before i finish the self hypnosis....heh. When i don't, the same thing happens when i get up the next morning. Briefly the panzer iii appears smaller to me but quickly reverts back to looking larger. I think the problem is that my subconscious mind is willing to go with the hypnosis but my conscious mind and natural skeptisism quickly override it.

Now i don't actually believe the panzer iii is looking true 1/18 scale....i figure it is just appearing to me as i think it would look in 1/18 scale, given my knowledge of tanks.

I have to say though, this has all been very freaky. I'm starting to get bored of the whole self hypnosis thing (it takes around a half hour or so) so i don't know if i'm going to do it any longer, but it's been an interesting experience.

It's also interesting as it shows what hard times us XDer's have fallen on and the lengths that some of us are prepared to go to for a 1/18 fix.... :lol:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: self hypnosis and XD

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Star56
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Star56 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Uh.....I wonder if this would work for body parts and other "size" issues ??

John Holmes....my name is John Holmes....

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 pm

I would try the self hypnosis at some point,but probably for more bigger problems.
I heard that many people use hypnosis for breaking bad habits like smoking.
I have a 1/16 elephant tank and it bathers me the scale difference,i tough about getting the panzer III in 1/16,and i have toughs of selling all my 1/18 armor to get in to 1/16,but it is not worth just because i only need two tanks in 1/18.
Maybe if we get enough people interested in the Panzer III and elephant in 1/18 Pickelhaube may consider making it. :P
Heck i would even sell my 1/16 elephant to use the money to buy the 1/18 version.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 am

Try this: :idea: Carefully scrape or sand along all the exterior dimensions with precise consistancy. Keep going around and around until the size reduction is obvious. The overall length and width will be closer to 1/18. The turret and other features will look just a bit over-scale but who's to say it was perfect to begin with? That's all there is to it.

Disclaimer: (1)Some repairs of details may be required. (2)Some repainting may be required. (3)Some shortening of the treadbase and width and length of the chassis may be required. (See #1-#2) (4)Gun barrels may need to be shortened. (5)If figures are involved, cut off at ankles and wrists, shorten arms and legs and re-attach hands and feet.(See #1-#2) If these results are still unsatifactory, simply stop sitting 1/16 next to 1/18 :oops:

This is what happens when you are home on the D.L. with a knee injury. and can't do much else. :( Can't wait to get back to work tomorrow :!: :)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed May 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Does hypnosis work through the web? I'd like to make somebody believe he's put an OD green Little Bird for less than 100$. I tried with self hypnosis to make me believe this bird is not about 300$. It works until my credit card center tells me that I have to pay over this amount... :roll:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 am

Dude , aren't you a little old to to start experimenting with recreational chemicals ?

:shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Well, with a field glass or better a theater one, you just have to look with 1 eye on your 1/18 tank and with the other (not through the glass) to your 1/16 tank. No hypnosis needed...
But sanding a 1/16 tank to bring it to 1/18 tank... after months of work, you'll have to observe that all plastic modells are hollow and that you got mainly a big hole with no plastic around, something like a ghost tank. So, try before to fill with resin...
I successfully tried an other procedure. I had Powerteam berets that were too big for my chinese PTE figures heads. I warmed the berets with my workbench lamp, and just got the exact size, because they were starting to softened and collabse. Try with your tank in the oven :mrgreen: