Post all JOE SCALE discussion here...read first post

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Post all JOE SCALE discussion here...read first post

Post by Rowsdower » Tue May 22, 2012 3:46 am

The Killer Whale was on every Joe collecting kids wish list. Hell, it's still on mine! :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 am

Rowsdower wrote:The Killer Whale was on every Joe collecting kids wish list. Hell, it's still on mine! :lol:
I remember seeing pictures of the Night Force version and I think a re-release of the original tooling in the late '80s. I thought it was neat, but not something I really wanted at the time, since I was really more hell-bent on getting the Space Shuttle.

Then, a few months ago, a board member had a Killer Whale for sale that was nearly complete - only a couple fins and a missile launcher were broken. It had the figure and blueprints as well. I bought it, fixed it up with the correct parts from ebay, and have a Killer Whale in near-perfect shape. Its a big item and now easily tops the list as one of my favorite Joe vehicles 8)

BTW, I did get the Space Shuttle (the Crusader variant from 1989) as my very first ebay purchase in 2002. The ship had taunted me for years on the cover of the 1989 catalogue. It was in complete and near mint shape with all parts, directions, decals, and the figure. Couldn't have asked for better save for an MIB item. If it comes down to saving one GI Joe item from my collection, this would be it.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

As a kid I don't think there was a Joe I didn't have. Unfortunately god knows where they are now. I was considered buying a Killer Whale a couple months ago but stumbled on an affordable Jolly Rogers Hornet. I loved the Night Force version that and the Skystriker were cool as a kid. Looking at it now I'm not sure how smart glow in the dark bits are on military vehicles.

shinsen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by shinsen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 am

I spent an arm and a leg to have a complete WHALE sent to me 15 years ago. Worth it !!!
Though, still working on compatibility with the new era joes...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:39 pm

big_mike wrote:I loved the Night Force version that and the Skystriker were cool as a kid. Looking at it now I'm not sure how smart glow in the dark bits are on military vehicles.
That Night Force Skystriker (aka Nightboomer) was the first significant GI Joe item I ever bought. Saved up my allowance money and got it at TRU back in 1989. Its still complete and in great shape, though some of the decals have worn.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:01 pm

I suppose I should take my 30th Skystriker out of the box one of these days. I think I have more figures and vehicles still the the packaging than on the shelf. :roll: :lol:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm

...me too. I have a complete set of 25th anniversary figures (minus the 1 red scuba diver I have to get) still on their mint cards. Quite a few loose ones too.

All the figures are in a box now.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:36 pm

You know, speaking of GI Joe, I found some of the 30th Anniversary & Renegades figures at a local TRU about a week ago. They had a couple of the figures I wanted, including Lifeline and SciFi. Lifeline was fun as I got the original figure from the cereal mail order deal back in the early 1990s and it was neat to have a more "lifelike" version.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Yeah, TRU stocked some 30th stuff here too but I have all I want. I wanted a PoC Jungle BAT but can't find that anywhere. I did find PoC Hawk at Walgreens but they are really slow at putting another figure on the peg. I bet they have one in the back.

I remember getting the chrome "Super Trooper" and the Fridge from mail-in offers. I got quite a few things with the Joe points. Battle points?

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 am

I don't collect these.........but here are some pics from the '13 Toy Fair;
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/toy ... page3.html

jorod74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jorod74 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

This has me stoked for the Fall. August, i believe. and about $40:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am

It is good to see some more "big ticket" GI Joe vehicles, especially those based on vintage toolings. Personally, I'm not as stoked about the Tomohawk/Eaglehawk, but hopefully its a portent of things to come.

BTW, I've been seeing a lot of the 2nd wave of the new movie figures and vehicles lately. The carded figures are not as good as Hasbro can do, but some are kind of neat like the new version of Flint and the GI Joe trooper. Nevertheless, the figures for the 2009 film were far superior...

Also, whats with the cheap figures packed with the new vehicles? I picked up some mini-tank thing with a version of Clutch, only to find that the figure had only 5 points of articulation (think a vintage 70s/80s Star Wars figure). That's an insult to the GI Joe line, which since its inception in the early 80s, always had well-articulated and detailed figures. Very disappointed with Hasbro's cost cutting measures.

jorod74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jorod74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 pm

i hear ya. the figs packed wth vehicles lately are barely a step above True Heroes or Corps! quality.
makes me long for the day when i got my 25th Rattler- that Wild Weasel was great.

Hasbro has cut so many "costs" on almost everything. fans of their other toy lines are left disappointed. i collect Transformers, but haven't bought any in almost a year because of the hollowness, smaller size and sometimes cheap feel.

hate to see it in Joes, TFs or any relatively strong line.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 16, 2013 4:52 pm

So I bought myself a Moray Hydrofoil the other day (the GI Joe cammo version from 2005). I never did get the original red Cobra version nor any of the repaints (including the one I just got) when they were at retail. I have to say, its a neat boat. Its not too impractical in terms of design, a lot of working features, different compartments, and it just looks menacing in a cool sort of way. Too bad it doesn't float very well and wasn't designed to work on water. Really its a pretty detailed and complex piece - as were many GI Joe toys from the '80s. That makes me all the more sad when I see the crap that's out on the shelves now :?

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu May 16, 2013 10:11 pm

neat find - I picked up the HISS Attack Scout at a nearby family toy store - It evidently wasnt sold in the US. It as from the 2010 line and sold in Canada. Not sure if I want to take it out -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 am

so where is the best place to find the 30th anniv GiJoe figures?
Since i've been been back in the states all I can find are the New Movie Roadblocks......

TRU I have had luck with some renegade figures - but that was one time in 6 trips.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 am

Seems I've been on a bit of a "vintage" GI Joe ARAH binge as of late... I just picked up the 1983 version of the GI Joe APC vehicle in near-perfect shape. I'd been wanting one for a while. All parts there, seat belts intact, decals in good shape, only a little dust on the toy. Really, as a transport vehicle, its tough to beat in terms of figure capacity and function. Looks pretty realistic as well and not too out-of-place with my other more realistic modern items. Its a perfect fit with PTE. Just amazing to think that this is a small example of what Hasbro was cranking out 30 years ago...

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:12 am

That is a great vehicle - was my favorite next to Slugger. If I remember correctly with the figures strapped in the tail-gait became a handle for an instant carry case.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 pm

When I was a kid I loved the 80s GI-Joes and had a good collection. Unfortunately I became a teenager and sold them all at a yard sale, including a mint terror dome :cry: I think I bought cds or something with the money :cry: :cry: :roll:

Anyway you guys know I like to customize stuff and I bought two trouble bubbles on ebay awhile back and am going to custom paint them and detail them and hang them together in my kids room. I will post pictures.

Is there a community online that does this? custom GiJoe stuff? is there a market for it? I have seen a few on ebay but none looked very good.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Jnewboy wrote:When I was a kid I loved the 80s GI-Joes and had a good collection. Unfortunately I became a teenager and sold them all at a yard sale, including a mint terror dome :cry: I think I bought cds or something with the money :cry: :cry: :roll:

Anyway you guys know I like to customize stuff and I bought two trouble bubbles on ebay awhile back and am going to custom paint them and detail them and hang them together in my kids room. I will post pictures.

Is there a community online that does this? custom GiJoe stuff? is there a market for it? I have seen a few on ebay but none looked very good.
Hahaha...of course, there's always an online community for just about everything! You should check out www.joecustoms.com, if ya know, you're looking for a place that specializes in customs for joes ;) I'm a member there, and it's a great site. But I know there are guys who do Joe-themed customs on probably just about every joe site out there, e.g. hisstank.com.

And there's definitely a market for it - though the prices things go for are pretty variable. I've seen people try to sell custom vehicles for hundreds or a fig for 100 (though I don't think they actually go for that very often).

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

A little note of caution... My bro's a big Joe customizer, but he's quiet (he's a doctor, so he's not real vocal on toy forums since he's busy). He'll ask me sometimes for a different perspective since I've customized Star Wars figures since before a modern line existed...

My cautionary tale is simply that Joe customizing as a community seems to be riddled with jag-offs who are condescending, arrogant, egotists. He'll send me a link to something to check it out, and ask how I'd go about doing something similar, and he's usually asking me because whoever posted their work doesn't like to share "how" he does it... Totally hate that about customizers, but Star Wars customizing started out as pretty much an email list server of a small group of people who were all just happy to talk about it and share ideas.

Thennnnnnn money became involved, and when that happened Star Wars customizing declined some too, however I've never quite seen a bigger display of douchebaggery on a toy forum as I have on Hisstank's customizing boards when I've lurked there at my brother's request... It's rarely even constructive. It's a lot of, "I did that before you!", or, "I did that better than you, but if you don't want to try harder then fine but your stuff's not as good as it should be!", and similar lines of thought.

It seems relatively unmoderated in that regard.

Your stuff's great Jnewboy, but beware there's always someone who thinks he's better in the realm of Star Wars customizing like it's some kind of dong measuring contest. It was a MAJOR turn-off to me, but an eye-opener... Star Wars has their share of the same now, sadly. :(
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 pm

JJ - totally agree that too much "douchebaggery" goes on in the toy collecting and customizing world! Ridiculous really. But I've generally found the joecustoms crowd to be much more supportive. They have whole wikis dedicated to sharing the best tips and techniques. There's definitely a sense of "let's all help each other get better". But of course humans are still...human...and stupidity creeps in from time to time.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:14 pm

I think my brother's experiences are much more a microcosm of that one site in particular since he's not really "active" but more a lurker, he just reads and sometimes compliments someone privately or asks something privately, but he doesn't branch out of that one site... That site, kinda like its Star Wars counterpart (*cough*RS*cough*), is the largest, and like the Star Wars one it quickly deteorates into flaming and trolling when certain issues come up like praise whores and things.

Star Wars customizers used to be great... I started in that hobby on the FFURG email list days. FFURG tried doing a website but it didn't have as much traction because forums for the hobby as a whole sort of splintered customizers up... It's still there, and it deserves a better crowd because it was just intended solely as a positive place to share freely. But SW customizing went from one cohesive community to a ton of smaller ones, some cross-posting, but most finding a single home they stick with.

Then a big debate began on people making a business out of customizing, and if it was ethical (LFL has shut down customizers making a "garage business" out of it), and if it detracted from the niche in general, and so on... It got ugly... further fracturing. Bah.

I customize still but I'm so quiet about it... I don't bother jumping in and critiquing or anything... You'd do it only to find out the guy was selling it on Ebay a week later, didn't really care if you had anything less than positive to say, and wasn't about to share anything with what he did or how he did it. If I'm reviewing people's products I figure they can pay me. :P It started to get real ugly with casters refusing to share information. Then I wrote a simple tutorial on casting and where to get supplies for a more fair price than the MM stuff people were buying and I got hate mail from the guys who were selling heads or weapons... This just reminds me how much I miss that old mail server, haha.

A wiki, that's a good idea for sharing... Really the perfect way to do things.

I noticed a lot of anger in the Joe boards about, "I did that first", which I don't see as much in Star Wars, save for the odd passive aggressive guys who say, "Yeah I did that same thing X years ago but mine was a little better...", or something. That sneaks in, but rarely outright, "You stole my idea, and yours sucks, so quit telling people you thought of it first". I saw that on Hisstank and lol'd.

I probably had a thousand ideas I thought were original but someone else also came up with. I was working on a project earlier this week for fun, something I've done a couple of in the past, and nobody ever saw these but I've seen other people have done their own... Coincidental ideas aren't uncommon when you're all working out of the same parts bin! :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 am

Has anyone else found the new GI Joe 50th Anniversary collection items? They appear to be a Toys R Us Exclusive... From pictures I've seen, they look to be covering a lot of the RAH characters and toolings are overly similar to the Pursuit of Cobra series. Anyways, I recently picked up the "Danger at the Docks" set which comes with a rehash of the old Vamp Mk II vehicle and a Cobra assault raft. Figures are a great looking version of Flint and a Cobra Eel. The Vamp is nothing new, but looks great in its digital cammo scheme. The best part is a footlocker with about a dozen different pieces of weapons and gear. The set cost me $32 and I felt I got my money's worth!

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Has anyone else found the new GI Joe 50th Anniversary collection items? They appear to be a Toys R Us Exclusive... From pictures I've seen, they look to be covering a lot of the RAH characters and toolings are overly similar to the Pursuit of Cobra series. Anyways, I recently picked up the "Danger at the Docks" set which comes with a rehash of the old Vamp Mk II vehicle and a Cobra assault raft. Figures are a great looking version of Flint and a Cobra Eel. The Vamp is nothing new, but looks great in its digital cammo scheme. The best part is a footlocker with about a dozen different pieces of weapons and gear. The set cost me $32 and I felt I got my money's worth!
Yep, as far as I know they are TRU exclusives. I also picked up the Danger at the Docks set and really loved it except for the bad paint apps on Flint.

I think it's just a limited run - a few 3-packs and 2-packs of figs, and two multi-vehicle packs, as part of the 50th celebration. Not sure what is planned for 2015, if anything.