Home Depot Finds

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Home Depot Finds

Post by tpa05 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:53 pm

First, these were built as TOYS for my then 5-yr old and so the detail (and modex numbers) are off as is the scale. They've been handled a lot as well and after finding them on the floor a lot more than I'd like recently I figured I'd take some pictures of 'em before they end up in beyond repair.

Ok, why Home Depot finds? They're made with PVC and Sheets of plastic purchased at the corner HD (ok, except for the rockets on the second pic). The landing gear (an after thought) is made of coat hangers.

First = The Aye-Wun-Tee-Twenty-Eight TrojanRaider:

Next - No clue what to name it. The kid wanted a jet and so this is what he got.

These were built because at the time there was no way I could spend $80 on a plane that would end up under the couch. And while I was tempted to add more detail (and get the scale correct) I had to keep telling myself "it's a toy for your son, it's a toy for your son...."

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever posted a pic and not sure if this is even the right forum. If not, let me know.

John

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Home Depot Finds

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 pm

I like what you did. Very cool and creative.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Damn, thats impressive. Next I'm picking up plumbing supplies I'll take a closer look at the PVC and see
what else could be done with it. 8)

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Here's another view of the TrojanRaider (I'm new at this...). Shakin' my head as I'm posting this as even the spinner is 1/2" PVC cap. I shoulda tried harder. Oh well..

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Those are SWEET! Wish my toys looked like that at 5!!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 am

Some wicked skill you got there..
TRADE REFERENCES: tmanthegreat, Grilledcheese, Tkjaer21, Delta Team, Blacksnakes, flayrah. fast mover, evilanimation, YT, Jnewboy

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 am

They look great, and perfect for a kid's toy. Ya done GOOD !!!!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am

Those are awesome! I really like the jet. Wish I had skills like that!

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:04 am

Very nice. About how big are they? What kind of decals or stickers did you use

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 am

Looks like some fun builds !! :D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Those are very cool! I bet you could sell them like hotcakes at craft shows. There's never anyting for the guys when the wives drag us along ;-)

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 pm

First thanks for all the kind words. While I've been a member for years, this is the first time I've ever posted pics of anything. And while my son is pretty careful with 'em, they really are starting to take a beating. Especially when his friends come over and start chasing each other around the house. With this, I figured I'd better take a few pictures before they're torn up completely.

As for size, the "TrojanRaider" is about 17" inches long and the Jet is a little over 20" inches. At the time I built these I didn't own ANY 1:18 aircraft to use as a reference and so basically sat pilot inside the hole that would later become the cockpit and then ask myself if it looked ok (really). Sure, I could have come up with more realistic 1:1 to 1:18 measurements but again these were built as toys and to be honest I expected them to be destroyed by now. On the other hand, I did treat 'em as a test platform for trying things such as color (proper 1960's Navy) and fonts (Longbeach for Navy, Amarillo for USAF). Also had to re-learn how to paint again as it had been 25-30 years since I'd even built a model airplane.

What keeps comming to mind even as I write this is how I've continued to have to scale back the detail of this and other toys/models/projects I've built as again in the end they'll be handed to a young boy and again while he's pretty careful, his friends often aren't. If it needs repair, it's because one of his friends flew/drove/dropped it into the floor/wall. What I wanted to avoid was handing it to him as a gift but then cringing anytime he or his friends wanted to play with it (as I do when the "real" 1:18 aircraft come off the shelf).

Again, this is the first time I've ever posted pictures of anything I've done. Not convinced they're even worthy but thanks for all the kind words.

John

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am

Those are wonderful, John! I can totally imagine playing with those as a kid and also that the PVC makes them more sturdy than the stuff one buys at TRU or Target (not like anything there even compares).

Thanks for sharing... awesome!
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 am

Cool! they're fun little mini-planes! You did a great job.
it be like dat

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Folks, this is just a tip of the iceberg! John has done amazing things with "stuff" and turned it into cool freaking toys!

John, you need to post all the pics you sent me on here. You really need to share your talent with the board!

AWESOME!

BS
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

lancelot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lancelot » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Those are pretty damn cool.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:17 pm

First again thanks for all the kind words. And Jim, many thanks for your help (and patience) figurin' out how to even make this post possible.

Again, before I continue - these were built as TOYS for a then 6-7 year old. So detail (example - using a prachute for side bag etc) was done because like the airplanes above I didn't expect them to be around for very long.

The next one was built as a simple APC. The hatches are long gone as are the attachments. It's R/C and is built on top of a Mutant Ninga Turtle RC chasis. Here's what's left:

The next was built basically off the top of my head. Just remember looking at pictures of Very-armoured APCs. I know, a little large but I remember walking out of the Newlands Stadium after a rugby game in Cape Town South Africa and seeing what was the biggest vehicle I'd ever seen at the time.

The turret and gun mounts move and are built on top of PVC.

Ok, and one more R/C vehicle. Again, built as a toy and ease-of-use is the key (hence the hatch on top). Though technically not a Home Depot find I'll include it here

What's cool about the last one is it's built on top of a 3-channel (A/B/C) and so 3-people can run 3 vehicles at the same time!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Man, those are wild. I have to hand it to you.

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Your kid is going to have some wonderful memories of a great Dad, and a happy childhood !!!

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:43 am

Snake-man I just dropped off my son at school. Just (re)-read your message and man that's what it's all about. With regard to the vehicles/figures, I do the same with 1:6 and having family that's worn uniforms since before the Alamo it's not just the "playin" anymore but now the questions he's asking and the history behind what he's holding in his hand. Thanks for the kind words.

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am

tpa05 wrote:Snake-man I just dropped off my son at school. Just (re)-read your message and man that's what it's all about. With regard to the vehicles/figures, I do the same with 1:6 and having family that's worn uniforms since before the Alamo it's not just the "playin" anymore but now the questions he's asking and the history behind what he's holding in his hand. Thanks for the kind words.
My kids are in their mid-thirties, and they still feel like Dad can fix anything, and make anything. I have a wonderful relationship with them. It's a great feeling, and I predict the same for you. Carry on !!!