Authentic Models Large Scale Gee Bee Super Sportster Review

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Authentic Models Large Scale Gee Bee Super Sportster Review

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm

In the 1930's, air racing dominated the skies across the United States. The quest for the cash prizes of the Bendix and Thompson Trophy Races pushed small aircraft companies and daring pilots to build incredible racing machines that destroyed speed records and greatly influenced the development of aviation.

One such company was the Granville Brothers. The Granville Brothers developed several racing planes nicknamed the Gee Bees in the late 1920's and early 1930's. Unfortunately, these little airplanes also turned out to be quite difficult to fly, and several veteran pilots were lost trying to master the fast little airplanes. Among the most famous of the Gee Bees were the R-1 and R-2 designs, which were designed for the 1932 National Air Races. In the 1932 Thompson Trophy Race, Jimmy Doolittle dominated in the R-1, lapping the field and winning the race for the Granville Brothers. Although Doolittle had mastered the Gee Bee for the race, he wanted no further part of it. Doolittle retired from air racing and soon after the race the Gee Bee was wrecked in a crash that killed the pilot. Today, the memory of this little airplane is carried on through several museum replicas and various models, books and other items.

Authentic Models chose to recreate the Gee Bee R-1 for its Flight collection. Below is a closer look at this model from Authentic Models, which has been available for a few years now.

The model arrives fully assembled and is packed in a sturdy box with foam inserts. The only assembly needed is to attach the propellor to the hub. The model sports an 18" wingspan and is in the traditional Authentic Models construction of wood framework with fabric stretched over. Metal is used for the parts such as the engine and cowl. The engine detail and paintwork on the model is excellent, the red and white colors really standing out. One curious detail absent from the model on this side is the escape door, which would allow the pilot to exit the Gee Bee in an emergency and it should be located under the cockpit canopy on this side. However, this detail has been omitted from other Gee Bee models and is not at all a deal breaker.

The model features working control surfaces and they are well built. They will hold the desired position. The model arrives rigged and the rigging is tight and strong. The Gee Bee decaling is excellent and looks correct. The cockpit does have some instruments and a nice pilot seat but no way to get a pilot into the cockpit. This is a bit of a drawback but even if the canopy was removable, the entire top part would have to be removable to get a pilot into the cockpit. The Gee Bee was a very tight fit in real life and this model captures the look of this unique racer quite well.

A top view of the racer to show the unique shape. Most of the Gee Bee was all engine, with an 800hp Pratt and Whitney powering the aircraft in the Thompson Trophy race. Ironically, during that race, the engine developed problems and began smoking more and more as the race went on. Despite the issues, Doolittle continued to push the aircraft and actually flew faster every lap, having plenty of power to dominate the field.

On a bright sunny day, I had to take the Gee Bee into the sun for some photos and let the red and white colors shine. The white has a unique antique wash over it to give it an aged look. This is not overdone and gives the model an antique feel and a bit of a weathered look. After racing this airplane would not have been clean, so I am quite comfortable with this look.

The Gee Bee looks ready to race in my yard. The landing gear is strong and supports the model easily. The tires are real rubber and roll freely.

Had to have a bit of fun with my last picture to give it a 1932 look. The Gee Bee shows off its lines that were way ahead of its time as it waits to go racing with Jimmy at the airfield.

At between $300 and $330 dollars (I've seen it as low as $290 in a few places) this is not a cheap model. However, this model is worth the money to anyone interested in 1930's air racers and Gee Bees. It is large, well built and wonderfully detailed. As with other Authentic Models aircraft, it has a unique look of old style and build quality. The colors, graphics and shape make this model a conversation piece and would be enjoyed by all ages. I may just get a second one to hang in my classroom knowing my students would greatly enjoy this little plane flying from the celing. This is a tremendous piece and deserves a spot in any aviation collection. This aircraft is highly recommended!
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Authentic Models Large Scale Gee Bee Super Sportster Rev

Post by gburch » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 am

Gorgeous model and a really well-written review. You say the wingspan of the model is 18 inches. Wikipedia says the full-scale wingspan was 25 feet even. This would translate to 18.666 inches in 1/18 -- so is the Authentic Models version slightly under 1/18? If so, that's a shame -- I can never figure out why a manufacturer would miss scale by just a little.

Great model, nevertheless -- the Gee Bee R was an iconic plane to me when I was a kid.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:49 am

Gburch:

I went by what a few websites say for this model which is actually wrong...way off...not sure why that is.

Wingspan is actually little bit over 24 inches. I knew it was bigger than 1/18 because I have the Peagsus Gee Bee and this one is a bit larger.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:22 pm

That is another gorgeous Authentic Models piece, Corey. 8)

It is not cheap to be sure, but does look to be worth the money. Very nicely detailed, with a slightly weathered look to it.

An excellent review, of a most impressive model.

You do have some beautiful aircraft models in your collection. :D