1:18 figures Help

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1:18 figures Help

Post by ram04 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Question here, I decided to get some 1:18 figures out to display, all was going good till when one as I turned the arm, well, it departed :shock:, can this be fixed, it actually broke the connector, I realize I can glue it, but that means no more movement, ideas, help, have I truly ruined this piece?, thanks for any advice.

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1:18 figures Help

Post by Razor17019 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:36 pm

ram04 wrote:Question here, I decided to get some 1:18 figures out to display, all was going good till when one as I turned the arm, well, it departed :shock:, can this be fixed, it actually broke the connector, I realize I can glue it, but that means no more movement, ideas, help, have I truly ruined this piece?, thanks for any advice.
Can you post a pic of the "broken arm"?
Depends on which style of figure you have. Some can break and some you can just pop back together.
If it's broken, I am sure one of her can send you a new one.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:59 pm

I tried to take some pictures, but my camera is screwing up, its not a matter of the joint popping out, the arm to body connection twisted off, I'm sure I'm screwed, and glue will be the only option, just asking for ideas, thanks.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Hey, what figure you need and arm for?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:46 pm

I have use a small screw,and i cut the head on one side to make it a double sided screw..I drill holes on both sides that will be attach so the screw can go in more easy.
I use it many times and every time i swap a head on a figure that does not have the peg.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I have broken so many joints on my figures over the years! For future prevention, if a joint is sticking too much, soak the area in hot water for awhile, and then try again gently.

Once broken, my usual method is to drill a hole into each side (in this case, one hole on the arm, one on the torso). Then get a small nail (like the little tiny ones for nailing molding and such), and cut with wire cutters to the right length. Superglue one end into one of the holes; let dry. Then insert the other end into other hole, and you should still have a decently functioning joint. Or you could use plastic rod or stiff wire instead of small nails. The drilled holes should obviously be the same diameter as the rod/nail.

It might not be that simple depending on what type of joint (e.g. ball or hinge) and how it broke. If you are able to post pics we would be able to counsel more specifically.

lancelot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lancelot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:29 pm

My 1/18 Japanese Imperial Army Officers left arm broke off in a spectacularly weird way. I just stuck some sticky tact up in there and stuck the arm back on.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I've replaced a lot of neck, hands and arm joints. With very small screws, the head of the screw replacing the connector ones that broke, then setting the piece an its screw into the hole (you have thirst to drill into the hole to put away the broken connector), when the figure has been digged and softened into hot water. No problem, all joints are still movable, I have more than 60 BBI figures and can't find which soldiers have been repared. Be carefull not to put your figures into the microwave oven, unless you want liquid soldiers and some burns around the screws...