TBF articulation and repair question.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

TBF articulation and repair question.

Post by big_mike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 pm

I just recieved an Avenger I bought off ebay. When I unpacked it I discovered that one of the wings had broken at the small piece of plastic which surrounds the small metal pole where the wing moves. I'm not sure if anyone has any similar experience and can point me in the right direction for repair.

The other wing appears to be in tact but for the life of me I can't figure out how to move it safely into a flight position. I don't want to run into a breaking my plane situation like I did with the landing gear on my Tomcat.

Thanks very much all

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: TBF articulation and repair question.

Post by big_mike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Adding photos of damage for clarification

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Okay dude...looks like the main pivot point is broken. From looking at the pictures, I'd say the best bet is to epoxy a piece of brass tubing in there to replace the joint. Make sure the epoxy cures real good or the joint will fail again.
As for putting the wings in "flight" position....pivot them forward and turn them (naturally). When the wing is fully extended, flex it forward slightly more and the tabs (aft of the pivot point) should start to pop into place. Don't go any further than the first pop....instead squeeze the top and bottom areas between you finger and thumb...they should pop right in. The triangular door on the bottom of the wing is open when the wings are folded (and DURING folding) but is closed in flight. Allot of people complain of a "sag" in the wings at the pivot joint when the wings are out for flight position. The easiest way to fix that is push up on the wingtip a little and push that small triangular door up into the recess. Looks a little weird, but it works.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks fw. I wasn't sure what to do with it, just depressed me right out of the box. Got some ideas of my own finally but I think you might be on to something. Will post on my progress.