A story we should all take a minute to read.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

A story we should all take a minute to read.

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 pm

I know this should be posted in the “Good Trader Report”, but I think that with everything that has been happening here on SSHQ maybe it is time for a post about a trade with a positive outcome, and this would just get lost if I posted it there.
A few weeks ago I contacted fellow member Tpa05 (John) about an ad where he was looking for a BF-109 or FW-190 for his son’s birthday. I responded telling him that I had a 109 Nightfighter that needed some work. The tail stabilizers were broken off and would need some work. Well he responded back and we started talking $’s when I realized the stabilizers were MIA! In the conversation he offers a P-38 “Wine Women and Song” for trade if I have anything else that is in good condition. I offer a “Seeman” MIB and we agree on a trade. Later that night I get a message from John asking if we can talk over the phone about the trade. So I give John a call and he wants to describe the P-38 condition down to the tiniest scratch. As I was listening to John I was starting to wonder how bad of shape the bird was in. The next day John sent me pictures of the P-38 and I was wondering what the heck he was talking about. Other than a MIA pilot and rockets I could not see anything wrong with it. By this time we have talked on the phone, e-mailed, and texted several times. So we are all go for a trade and John tells me to take as long as I want to look over the P-38 when I get it and if I’m happy go ahead send the 109. On Monday the 27th of February I find myself opening a box with a P-38 inside! I have got to tell you all that John KNOWS HOW TO PACKAGE A PLANE FOR SHIPPING! He had t-shirt material wrapped around the fuselage to protect it where ever the ties were to keep the plane secure. I thought that was a real touch of class on John’s part. And, the plane was in beautiful condition! I texted John right away after opening up the bird. I think I said something like “This plane is awesome!”. Later that evening I called John to thank him for all of his efforts in packaging the plane. We talked for a while and I asked if I could wait until later in the week to ship the 109 because I had a huge presentation the next day for school and two mid-terms later in the week. John said it would be ok even though his son’s birthday party was Saturday. He said his son knew what he was getting so it was no big deal. I responded saying I would have it on a UPS truck the next day Tuesday the 28th. It was the least I could do for someone who cares enough about a stranger to package and describe a plane above and beyond what was necessary. Friday I got the call from John that the 109 arrived safe and sound and he would be able to get it wrapped and ready for his son’s birthday.

The true moral of this story is that there are GREAT members on this board! And, I think we need to hear about someone like John from time to time! Also, COMMUNICATION! I lost count of how many time we spoke, e-mailed, and texted each other. Both of us knew exactly what was going on, and we had tracking #'s to see the progression of our packages.

John, if you are reading this THANK YOU for your efforts, your time talking on the phone, and just being an all around cool guy! You always have a friend in Indiana!

Jim

Now my TRU's version has a wingman

"Wine Women and Song"
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: A story we should all take a minute to read.

Post by ram04 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Great story, I must say I've always been treated great here also and have seen some awesome home packed models, seems most guys pack them how they would like to recieve them :D

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for sharing a positive story...Lots more out there than we realize.
I've been a member for a couple of years now, and I really enjoy this forum. I've interacted with quality folks here, and I seriously appreciate it.

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Ram and 456 this is what I am talking about! Maybe we all need to talk about it a little more! It really gets me down reading about all the bad crap going on in the world, and then seeing it here. Wouldn't it be cool if we all could enjoy this hobby and make fair trades with each other? BTW, I have had nothing but the best when buying and selling here.

COMMUNICATION...

Jim
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks for sharing that Blacksnakes.

Just as in life, I think that there are far more positive stories out there, but unfortunately anything negative gets all the attention.

Glad that you had a great experience, and I have done a few deals on here myself, always with a positive outcome.

There was one instance recently, where I " purchased" a model from a member here, and he graciously gave me the model for free. Even offered to pay the shipping to me, but I insisted that I at least paid the shipping.

Have this beauty on display right now.

Really not a fan when the forum goes negative, unless there is a very good reason for it.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:13 am

Cool of you to post Blacksnakes

You are right that if this was posted in bst good traders it'll get lost in it and most none the wiser. We could all use a little positive stuff to balance out the Karma here :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 am

snake wrote: Just as in life, I think that there are far more positive stories out there, but unfortunately anything negative gets all the attention.
Totally agree. I contracted the 1/18 disease after the Golden Age and have built up my collection almost entirely through purchases of "used" planes, probably half or more through purchases here on the forum. I've been consistently impressed by the courtesy and care taken by the folks I've dealt with. In the overwhelming majority of cases, it turns out I've had the pleasure of buying from really good people.

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Snake, gouchy, and gburch. I'm glad you guys responded to my post. I really think this board needs to get focused on why are all here. Is it to enjoy the hobby? Is it to help out others when we can? I say, Yes! If not, why are we here at all?

Jim
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

BLACKSNAKES wrote:If not, why are we here at all?
I thought it was to whine and complain about everything that comes out :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:41 pm

You got me there tman :lol:
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm

With only 1 exception (a guy named Jack from you know where) I have had nothing but great deals all around - probably 15 to 20 total. Like you all said before - the good ones mostly go unnoticed, except for the BST good trader report which most never see unless they are searching for history on a particular member.
I'm always amazed at the knowledge base of the membership here as well as the upstanding nature of character of most who spend time here.
It was nice to read a good story and outcome.
Thanks BLACKSNAKES!
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey guys,

Well, I've gotta believe after a day or so somebody's gotta be askin' - "Ok, great story, but where's this TPA guy?". Truth be told, I couldn't comment. Why? Well, um, me Mr. Great Transaction guy owed another member some money. Ok, ok, not a lot of money ($14) but my AMEX card on my Paypal account expired and so other arraingments had to be made (Sorry Bryan, the moneys in the mail....).

Ok, I feel better now. And as for the transaction Jim describes above the story is pretty simple. I needed a bad-guy for my son (and me) to chase around the house. Buyin' one wasn't an option as the 1:18 hobby is just to expensive (sorry, another thread...) and all I had to offer was a P-38 for trade. My problem however is the on the P-38 I was offerin' up the rocket pods were missing and the pilot was MIA as well.

Further investigation showed another minus - a few scuff marks on one of the engine cowlings but also some good stuff as well. Turns out my P-38 was an "upgraded" Lightning with additional "Wine, Woman and Song" decals applied. Cool, nice plane but still I really needed a 109. Not only that but now I'm beginning to look at the already re-sealed box and thinking "Crap, those aren't factory applied (translated-not smearproof) decals and my grand effort to secure the airplane back in the box surely wiped 'em off".

Shakin' my head as I got about halfway through re-opening the box I said to myself - "just send it to him. If he likes it he'll keep it....". And so that's what I did. I called Jim the next day and basically asked him to keep his 109 until after he got the P-38. I figured he'd either like it and keep it or simply send it back and I'll figure out another way. When he got it he called me immediately and let me know it was just fine. During out conversation it was mentioned that my son's birthday was only a few days away. Jim's response? He went above and beyond and sent out the 109 the very next day. What more can I ask.

Another consideration - this all began with Vulgarvulture. Yup, this is all your fault Mike! Why? Because I looked back and that's who I got the original P-38 from and at a very reasonable price. What that allowed me to do was definately get my money's worth later on and with that provide the story above and the smile on the kids face in the picture below. Thanks Jim for your help last week and you Mike for your help almost 2 years ago.

Ok, one more item - Earlier tonight me and my son sat down and watched the Military Channel show "DOGFIGHTS" and the episode about the "Death of the Luftwaffe". He watched the show. I watched him - ask questions about airplanes.

Thank guys.

John

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:53 am

I think this is the perfect way to end this story. The smile says it all!

Thanks John for sending the picture of your son. I will get with you on how to post pics on the board :D

Jim

Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave