1/18 Catmouth Hellcat Returned To Service

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Catmouth Hellcat Returned To Service

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Greetings:

Recently purchased a BBI Hellcat from another member. In route to its new aircraft carrier, the Hellcat was jumped by some Zeroes and took some damage along the way. Certainly not the fault of the member here as the plane was packed well. The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier mechanics were hard at work and have returned the Hellcat to active service.

The pitot tube tab had broken off during shipping and I glued this back into place. I have a spare pitot tube so if it ever breaks and gets lost I can drill the hole out and replace it with a new example.

On this side the gun barrels had broken off but fortunately were found in the box and were carefully glued back into the proper place. The bottom antenna was broken off and had gone missing in the box. After four searches I could not find it in the contents. I found a spare radio mast for a Hobby Master 1/32 Dauntless was about the right size and shape and installed that, though it is a bit thinner than the actual version. The color matches the lighter blue and looks decent.

Last but not least the Navy mechanics raided the ammo depot of boardmember BLACKSNAKES and armed the Hellcat with six rockets for its next mission. Thanks to BLACKSNAKES for generously supplying the rockets to me for the model, it changes the look of this plane in a positive way.

Simple fixes to repair some broken parts and a 1/18 Hellcat is alive and well in a collection.

Regards

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Razor17019

Re: 1/18 Catmouth Hellcat Returned To Service

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Looks ready to launch!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 am

Nice!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Do you have any issues with the wing sagging at the fold point? The Hellcats we have stationed down here in the pacific have major wing sag issues.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Looking good Corey.

Some minor battle damage, and thankfully your mechanics had spares on hand. :wink:

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Greetings:

Yes I actually had fun fixing this up and getting it back to its old self. Getting back into this scale, I forgot how big and impressive some of these planes are. The Navy planes, with the folding wing engineering the companies worked into them, are quite neat. Now all we need is the Dauntless to come and join the fleet. And pretty please a Helldiver!

Jay, mine do the same thing but I fiddled with them and applied some pressure and got them pretty straight. If you want to keep the wings straight it helps if your control surfaces will do so to lock them and to close the doors on the bottom. But I am pretty sure that was a pretty common issue with the Hellcats. I plan to keep my wings folded most of the time anyway.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Looks Great Corey! Nice to see a bird get put back together. Glad I could help out.

Jim
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave