BBI Japanese fighter pilot questions

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

BBI Japanese fighter pilot questions

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 am

Is there a place on the pilot to attach his sword? I don't see any holes for it anywhere.

And does anyone know where in the cockpit japanese fighter pilots carried their sword? Did the just wedge it beside them or was there a specific spot to put them?

Also, does anyone know whether Zero pilots used back pack type or butt pack type parachutes (when they wore them at all)?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI Japanese fighter pilot questions

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 am

He is suppose to stand in the cockpit with the canopy back and hold the sword while in flight in order to slice the hellcat when they pass each other. Japanese pilots were well trained to do this while flying the plane with their feet... :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 am

ok well i got my answers.

if anyone's interested. The sword was often fastened to special clips inside the cockpit, that were put there for just such purpose. Position of clips varied from plane to plane. Some pilots simpy placed the sword between seat and sidewall of plane, while others stowed in in a compartment in the fuselage, that were on some aircraft.

I still don't see anywhere for the bbi pilot to wear the sword, so maybe it was just carried to the plane. Dunno.

They wore butt pack type parachutes, although many pilots would not wear them if they were operating over enemy territory, though they may use the chute as a seat cushion. No harness would have been worn in this case.

They were more likely to wear the harness and chute if operating over their own territory, but some still wouldn't because they didn't like the way the harness interfered with their ability to fly the plane.

http://die-cast-army.over-blog.com/article-5351869.html
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Nugget
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nugget » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56 pm

I remember reading in a few books that a lot of Japanese pilots preferred to go down with their plane instead of bail out, if that helps you at all.