TOY HUNTERS cable special on collecting now a series! 1:18?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

TOY HUNTERS cable special on collecting now a series! 1:18?

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Toy Hunters commanded half-a-million viewers despite a pilot episode premiering on a tough time slot; graveyard shift / late Sunday night. The great success of its pilot convinced Travel Channel to green-light Toy Hunters as a full on cable tv series! The 1:18 hobby can use more exposure + customers. Toy Hunters many viewers has such an ideal audience (that 1:18 can tap in its half-a-million hobbyists) who already love toys. So how can a future episode of Toy Hunters present 1:18 in such a way to elicit more interest in 1:18? Many of you know the various companies, peoples with rare items, impressive big collections; etc. Again, how can 1:18 be presented to casual toy fans in a future episode of Toy Hunters?

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/toy-hunters
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/To ... 143752.asp
Last edited by sdcc73 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: TOY HUNTERS cable special on collecting now a series! 1:

Post by YT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Awesome, I wonder when it will be on.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

I was not impressed with the pilot, especially as far as 1/18 is concerned.

Toys, yes, but nothing of interest to this board. I'll watch more shows, if I can stomach the bozos doing the picking. 1/18 is too new for these guys.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Yeah I don't think they'd be interested in anything but rare/valuable antique stuff or the "hot" toy lines collectors generally are into.

1:18's our thing but I dont' think it's got much life in it.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:50 am

If only they had some archived raw footage of some of us going from town to town looking for all those cool planes at Walmart. Whooda thunk they'd become so valuable?

..or the 5 to 10 guys outside Target waiting for it to open, racing to the toy isle to find the one Hot Wheels Treasure Hunt, or the short packed Star Wars figure.

Thats toy hunters! :lol:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 am

I have to agree with TTT on the host. He lacks basic likability. He bullies, whines and begs the people he buys from to give him what he wants at the price he wants it. That's not toy hunting that is watching a grown man act like a big baby to get what he wants. Replace the host and I might watch it.
As we talked in another thread, the show was all centered around gathering toys to sell at a toy convention. How will it work without the pending toy convention to get ready for?
Need to change the show title to
TOY WHINERS: Give me what I want or I will CRY!
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 am

And don't forget, in todays reality TV world, it might be a hit showing grown men running into toy departments at Wallyworld, knocking people over trying to get to the 21C toys on the shelves. My favorite trick when I saw a kid and his Mom looking at what I was there for was to yell "Look, a baby wolf", and when they looked, I grabbed the toy and ran. After all, I had five more Wallyworlds and three TRU's to hit that day.

See, this would not be popular showing our younger board members, everybody expects that of the younger guys, but us old guys, knocking over old gals, pregnant ladies and "little Johnnies"..... now that's TV at it's best... :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:And don't forget, in todays reality TV world, it might be a hit showing grown men running into toy departments at Wallyworld, knocking people over trying to get to the 21C toys on the shelves. My favorite trick when I saw a kid and his Mom looking at what I was there for was to yell "Look, a baby wolf", and when they looked, I grabbed the toy and ran. After all, I had five more Wallyworlds and three TRU's to hit that day.

See, this would not be popular showing our younger board members, everybody expects that of the younger guys, but us old guys, knocking over old gals, pregnant ladies and "little Johnnies"..... now that's TV at it's best... :roll:

TTT
Yes, things like this would be entertaining! One of the best I ever heard was from a door warmer I knew. He and some other door warmers, who all knew each other from door warming, were racing to the toy dept. after the doors were opened. One of them couldn't move well and used a cane and tried to trip the guy with his cane. Some heated words were exchanged but didn't come to blows. Just hilarious. Things like that would go over great on TV.

And yes, there was a time during the glory days of 1/18 and 1/32 that I made 5 WM's and 3 TRU's a day at least 3 times a week in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 am

Dauntless wrote:If only they had some archived raw footage of some of us going from town to town looking for all those cool planes at Walmart. Whooda thunk they'd become so valuable? 10 guys outside Target waiting, racing to the toy isles to find that one Hot Wheels, or the short packed Star Wars figure. Thats toy hunters! :lol:
Ha! Stars Wars, Hot Wheels, and 1:18 Hobbyists did share that "thrill of the hunt" aspect seen in the show. Its just on a grander level - as the host will Travel far and wide - for a toy. Maybe it can show a "Tender Terror" being such a rare item? Or a prototype from any of the 1:18 companies who want more exposure for their product? Preferably that company will show what a lot of their other 1:18 models looks like on grand display (versus just a box) in order to catch the interested eyes of half a million viewers. That great number of viewers, will grow even greater, as a regular time slot series. Wouldn't hurt our hobby if just a few of those half-million brought more customers / life in 1:18 :cry:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 am

Didn't seem so much like hunting to me as going to a known toy collector or store and whining for a deal so the host could have something worthwhile to sell at his booth.

If the show was more like American Pickers, I'd watch it again.

rjvilla82
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rjvilla82 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 am

hm, i didn't know about this show until now...

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Same here...had no idea about this. Sounds lame.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 pm

I think the host is a douche. I kept the pilot on as background noise, so I only paid attention to parts of it...but, I seem to recall him making a few inaccurate statements about the toys he was picking up, as well.

If you want a good toy/comic show, watch Kevin Smith's Comic Book Guys, instead. It's way better. The guys on it are legit toy/comic collectors, and nerds. It reminds me of how my friends and I sit around and blab about toys and such.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I agree with snake eyes I think the comic book show was way better...like i said before that guy isnt even interested in toys...he is just interested in ripping people off and making money...
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx