Repair/replacement 1:18 F-18 wingtip sidewinder

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Repair/replacement 1:18 F-18 wingtip sidewinder

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I just recently joined this forum after visiting often over the course of last few years. I've been collecting for a while and recently purchased one of my holy grail pieces. An elite force jolly rogers f-18. It has some minor scratching etc which doesn't bother me overly much. But it is missing the right side wingtip sidewinder which I'm looking to make a fascimile of. I have is a sidewinder off a JSI tomcat which is just about perfect size. What I'm trying to figure out is what would be the best substance to replicate the mounting piece which attaches it to the wing? I have very rudimentary crafting skills and no experience doing repair or customization. I know there is a wealth of knowledge available here so I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Repair/replacement 1:18 F-18 wingtip sidewinder

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Welcome aboard Big_Mike! I dont have any creative skills either but hopefully some of the talented guys here will chime in.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 pm

PM sent...Big Mike.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:31 pm

sorry fw, am a newbie so i guess i cant reply via pm. to answer your question from the nose of the plane its the left wingtip rail and missile.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 pm

So...you need the entire wingtip rail and a missle....right?

I rebuilt and then fabricated rails for my "Smoke II' F-104. Go here to see pictures.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... and-garden

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

That's a very nice piece. Like I said originally I have the sidewinder off my Tomcat that I'm willing to sacrifice but i just didn't know quite where/how to start. My friend recommended modeling something in clay, my gf said just tape it on. I'm not much of a sculptor and I'm not going to be cheap about this piece. If I could come up with something similar that'd be perfect.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Okay...understood. I have a Hornet that is a project (long neglected) that includes replacement rails and missiles. I believe the left is done and the right half way, before I packed it all in a box and left it for at least a year now. I have to crack the box open to find out for sure, but I can send them to you IF I have already completed the replacement (like I said I think I did....let me check).

It will probably be Sunday before I can do that and let you know. If I have it, USPS ground is the cheapest way to send it....and I'll need and address. NEVER, NEVER post personal information like that here on the open forum. If you look at the bottom edge of each post, you'll see a "PM" button. Clicking there will open the Private Messenger area and a large window for typing your message is there. Below that window is a "Submit" or "Reply" (if you are responding to another person's PM to you). That is the most secure way. And along the top banner where it says "Board Index".....is "? new messages"....if the ? is a number, you have messages sent to you that you have not read yet. Just click there and it takes you to your message que.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

PM received and reply sent....good job!

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Might be on the right track. I guess we shall see until then I'd love some other insight as a back up plan. Thanks for everything.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 am

If I understand the threrad so far this is the piece you need? Comparing the F-14 SW to the F18 they are almost an exact match. I see a couple options. One mold and recast the complete piece or two just mold and cast the lower half. Then you could fit the F-14 SW to the lower piece with a little sanding and shaping. If FW doesn't find the parts PM me and we could come up with something to work.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:13 pm

You understand it correctly pizza. I appreciate the recommendation, haven't talked to fw recently so I might contact you shortly on the process.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I have the missing missile, and I have a resin casting kit. Thanks much to everyone here this was a great first thread for me. I've been made to feel rather welcome. If I could figure out how to post images I most definitely would. My new project eventually replicating the missing bombs and mounting rack under the one wing.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I've been using imageshack to post pictures. I upload the images and cut-n-paste the code for message boards. Look forward to seeing some pics.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:05 pm

my hornet on my coffee table recently turned work table.