1/6 DML Sherman

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/6 DML Sherman

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Tigers in 1/6 have been around for a long time. Not priced for the faint of hearted. Now a King Tiger, which is also available is seriously huge. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Current price is here:
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =3&t=27198

Higher than his pre-order price but still a good price considering the item is now out, and the vendor is terrific. Can't ask for more in a vendor. 8)

TTT

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Tigers in 1/6 have been around for a long time. Not priced for the faint of hearted. Now a King Tiger, which is also available is seriously huge. :roll:

TTT

I know, I remember back in the day someone made a Tiger I for about $650.

I think is was FOV and they sold it in grey plastic. Or Field of Dreams or something like that.

They also made some custom packages for it .

Like more wheels and other add on packages.

Has any body seen these in the past ?

I think I am going back about 10 years. I would hate to guess what they are going for now.

I had the choice of getting 2 1/16 scale Tigers or the one. I chose the 2 1/16th.

Kind of wished I would have gotten the 1/6th. :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:19 pm

The tank was Field of Armor. Haven't seen one available lately but the upgrade kits pop up faily regularly but are not cheap.

TTT

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey AMERICAN_GRENADIER, Are you going to sell the Hot Toys 1/6 Batman Tumbler? If so, whats your preorder price?

thanks

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:28 am

I would really like DML to release either a Tiger or Panther, not sure where I would put it, but I would make sure to get one, I made a mistake on not getting a Panzer, now they are harder to find and the price reflects that.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 am

The Panzer II kit has over 700 parts. Just looking at the parts gives me the Willies. This Sherman has just enough parts to make me happy. :lol:

TTT

YT

Post by YT » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 am

Wow! Thanks for the pictures, I wish I had the room for one.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:43 pm

It is a really big model, I built a Dragon SAS jeep and was fortunate enough to get a Stuart from pickelhaub and found that 1:6 is as addictive as 1:18, 1:32 and any other scale, my problem is I like them all.

The good thing is the wife does'nt even say anything anymore, just shakes her head and walks out of the room, whats funny is I could sort of hide the smaller stuff, but not anymore, she's caught on to me :lol:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

One more thing, actually the tracks will roll on this, the problem lies in the front drive sprocket and the rear idler ( the boogie wheels roll great ) they made these to roll on shafts, but no way to attach the sprocket or idler to the shafts.

I'm sure that someone will be able to modify it so they will stay on, but I'm not sure the track links can hold up to alot of travel, but it does seem it is some what movable 8)

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:Tigers in 1/6 have been around for a long time. Not priced for the faint of hearted. Now a King Tiger, which is also available is seriously huge. :roll:

TTT

I know, I remember back in the day someone made a Tiger I for about $650.

I think is was FOV and they sold it in grey plastic. Or Field of Dreams or something like that.

They also made some custom packages for it .

Like more wheels and other add on packages.

Has any body seen these in the past ?

I think I am going back about 10 years. I would hate to guess what they are going for now.

I had the choice of getting 2 1/16 scale Tigers or the one. I chose the 2 1/16th.

Kind of wished I would have gotten the 1/6th. :wink:
I remember back around 1998 or so seeing 1/6 tanks at TRU i picked up a hellcat but sold it shortly after but still not sure on the manufacturer...
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Sorry Derek, as best as I can remember, no 1/6 Hellcat M-18 was ever sold at TRU. Could you be thinking of the 1/6 21C Stuart? or the 1/9 21C Abrams? both were RC.

The 1/6 Hellcat is still made by that outfit in the Phillipines, but that is around $1,000 and it sure was never mass made.

TTT

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 pm

no thay weren't rc and definitely not 21C i may be wrong on the type but the manufacturer might have been GIJoe i do believe it was a classic toy line brought back from the 60's...

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 am

I'm not a Hasbro expert but I am sure nothing in the GI Joe line was anything even remotely like a actual 1/6 tank. They did make a one man size tank that was so toyish and off scale as to be just a silly toy.

Nothing like our superior, "real life" looking toys and dollies. :shock:

TTT

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:18 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I'm not a Hasbro expert but I am sure nothing in the GI Joe line was anything even remotely like a actual 1/6 tank. They did make a one man size tank that was so toyish and off scale as to be just a silly toy.

Nothing like our superior, "real life" looking toys and dollies. :shock:

TTT
hold on like your saying i could be completely wrong but let me do a little searching

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am

I am pretty sure the Gi Joe 1/6 M8 Greyhound was released around 1998.
The open turret may be confusing, could you be thinking of that?.
More a wheeled armored car than a tracked tank though.
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Guys, could we get back to the DML Sherman, I know there are some really great 1/6 tanks out there and I'm really interested in what everybody has found, I just don't want to let this thread drift too far off course :wink:.

Maybe we need a sticky for 1/6 scale, seems we all like different scales and I think there is enough interest for it, I would be in, anyone else?

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey TTT, got a chance to start putting those links together, really looking forward to your opinion on this model, seems here your the guru of 1/6 :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

I am so far from being a guru of 1/6, it isn't funny, even on this board there are quite a few 1/6ers, even if they don't identify themselves.....

I know you are out there. :roll:

No, I haven't started on my Sherman. I have had "real life" duties getting in front of the Sherman. Most of these duties are winding down in the next day or so.

Pics will follow by the weekend. Hopefully....

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I managed to get a Ultimate Soldier Tank commander, while not as good as other figures for the money hes not bad, I kind of like him, damn he came with a cigar, whats not to like about that :lol:

Anyway he'll be my Sherman commander for the time being, I did put his goggles down and put some of the wifes mascara on his face to look like he'd been seeing a little action, don't tell him :wink:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 pm

TTT, got that Sherman out of the box yet?, waiting for your review and how it compares to your other 1/6 tanks :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Ram:

Sure my Sherman is out, started it today.

Nerve racking job getting the driver/asst driver hatches off. Came out great. Kept hitting the underside with a screw driver handle until a corner lifted up, then used an ice pick in the openings until the hatch popped up.

Got a couple of stand alone accessories started but some don't fit smooth. I ordered a set of needle diamond files to widen the openings without drilling the openings. I'm going to finish this weekend except for those parts I need the needle drills. I will be loosing Saturday as my Grandson is set for a visit and I can't have a million parts laying around, with Dr. Destructo, so parts are back in the bags until Sunday.

Same thing happened (with the fitting in the holes) with the DML Panzer II. Some accessories don't fit easily in the correct hole. Openings have to adjust to the part with care.

How do I compare it? Terrific model. Detail is super, much better than I expected for a relatively inexpensive 1/6 tank. Remember most 1/6 tanks start at around $1,000 and can run to over $10,000.

Outside of this Sherman and the Panzer II, the 21C Stuarts are terrific models.

I have all sorts of accessories for this Sherman, machine guns, working antenna and a complete crew of tankers from my Stuarts and Scout Car.

When I reach a stopping point, I'll post some pics comparing the Sherman with the Stuart, Scout Car and the Panzer II.

Again, this is a super piece, I'm very happy with it, well worth the wait. :wink:

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:04 am

I'm interested in how it looks next to the Panzer II, next to the Stuart, it kinds of dwarfs it, and I thought the Stuart was pretty large.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:26 pm

TTT, got those track links together yet :lol:, seriously, I have to ask how the upper and lower hull sections fit on yours?, mine was a bitch, other than that not too bad.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Soon.... soon. Mrs. TTT has volunteered to assist with the track links.... gotta love that girl. I only have one and a half hands to work with. My right hand is only half working. Holds a beverage and can flip a bird, but not much more. Mrs. TTT also does all my detail painting, she is far better than me with detail work. I get more paint on me than the model.. :lol:

I'll have comparison pics by Tuesday.... or Wednesday.... soon.. :roll:

Can't rush these things. No race here. Far too much nice stuff to take a chance of messing something up.

TTT