1/18 MD-3 A/S32-31A Carrier Tractor

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: 1/18 MD-3 A/S32-31A Carrier Tractor

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

astronut1885 wrote:I have a bunch of 1/72 Verlinden kits that also came like that. I guess you could always offer a rough kit that is similar to Verlinden's kits and then a "ARB" kit for more $ that was almost-ready to-build, kinda like the RC plane kits that are sold either as a full build or almost airworthy forms. All I know is I'm in for $35, and if it comes with decals that would be over the top. Painting one of these up in yellow wouldn't be too hard. Are you doing axles with rolling wheels or are you fixing the wheels a-la the Verlinden tractors?
I think for $35 it will be a kit that the end user will have to clean up some. I bought a couple of the resin F-14 pilots and I was surprised at the imperfections. One pilot almost didn't have a hand. A couple bubbles I could live with, but that is something that should not have went out. Bubbles are the nature of resin. An "ARB" kit would be a little more as you said.

I do have plans to include decals. I tinkered with some decal sheets over the weekend and I am happy with the results. That was until I thought I was spraying a dull coat which turned out to be primer. Wrong cap. :roll:

I plan on a rolling version, but not something you will want to give your kids to push around. I was able to get a mold made of all the little items over the week end. I ordered some styrene to begin on the tow bar. I'm looking at a photo etching machine to make some parts for the EPU unit. I'll post some pics as I progress.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Got the body molded and I'm very disappointed with the results. My vacuum degasser took a crap on me right when I mixed the silicone for the first half. I've read online that you can pour the silicone from 3ft to eliminate any bubbles. That didn't turn out so well. I got the vacuum fixed for the second half. Perfect, but I'm not making half a tractor.

Tried a sample casting just to see how bad it would look. :evil: I don't know how Pickle did a whole plane. That's what they call a learning curve. Back to the drawing board, but I find it interesting how to this stuff works. It's rewarding.

While waiting on the silicone to cure I got started on the tow bar. I'll have to post some pics over the weekend. Need to get some stuff listed to make up for my mistakes. Need to feed the hobby.

Here's some pics: So close.
ImageImageImage

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Spent a little time today working on the tow bar. I likethe way it turned out. I am ordering some 1.5mm black link chain to go between the bars. The holes on the landing gear were to shallow, so I used a 61 size drill bit to make them a little deeper. The fit was perfect. I ordered some more silocone and resin to give the second mold of the body a try later in the week. Minus any problems I should have a fully cast MD-3 ready to paint and decal.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

I was able to get some resin casts done over the weekend. I ended up remolding the tractor. Mold #2 was a huge improvement. I'm looking forward to getting the paint on and decal.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 am

Very cool PG! I'm a groundpounder but I like where you are headed with the whole process. A coat of light gray primer helps show more details than the white resin base. I show the white version only so folks know what they will get "in box" when it arrives.

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Looks awesome to me dude, looks like there will now be two things I'll be ordering from you soon, because I think I'm gonna need a Hornet stand soon too...

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Finally!! Here's a completed 1/18 MD-3 tractor. The real challenge will be the instructions. Trying to put the little details in my head down in writing, so that other people understand is what will be difficult. I hope I was able to capture the realism of the real thing. Looking forward to add on's I added neodymium magnets to the back. This will allow for easy removal and attachment. I learned allot from this project and improved in my abilities. A deck crew is something I will have to put on my list. I am going to get 4-5 kits produced before I offer them. I would feel better having the kits done. I'll post something when I have those done. Now on to the closed F-14 nozzels and F-18 nozzels.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:21 pm

DAAAAMMMMMNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:30 am

You should sell the design to JSI or BBI! More people can get it for reasonable price.
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtlin550][img]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/34784/2860792140071430623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img][/url]
A photo database dedicated to all 1/18 F-14 repainted squadrons.
Click it. Accept submissions today!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:32 am

Image1 millllllllion Dollhairs!! :lol: That would be sweet. My brother-in-law. Won $150K on a scratch off over xmas. Lucky B@*&%^d. This could be my little lotto. I better go to work tomorrow just is case.

I'm sure JSI or bbi could zip this out on their 3d printer in 5 minutes and have it into production by the end of the week. If I had the money I would crank out tons of items. The F-4 and A-10 would be first on the list. No paint or boxes. Cheap and simple.

The owner of 48 Special Models mentioned at one time that he sends out his stuff to be mass casted, but seeing how the stuff gets ripped off I am a little leary. I'll have to contact him and see how he does it.

I've been keeping track of what I have spent so far on this project and it's close to $400. The trick is finding the balance between selling enough at a price I can make my money back quick, but not too high that guys won't buy. It's a fine line.

I've been looking on Ebay and the 1/32 Verlinden tractors kits sell for $25 and those are mass produced. I feel that $35 + SH is not an unreasonable price for a kit. Full build I would feel comfortable at $70 + SH. Looking for feedback in this area.

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:39 am

$35+ S/H for a kit version I think is an exceptional price, especially since that thing doesn't look extremely difficult to detail for those who are willing. A finished kit is also very reasonable at around $70 with all the details you have packed in, so I think you're on the mark. I, for one, would like to call dibbs on a kit version when it becomes available. I think I can handle paint on that thing, and it would be fun to build it up. Fantastic work man, and thanks!

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 pm

$35 is a great price for a kit, I would definitely be interested in one.
Builder and Collector of RC Aircraft

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 pm

That thing looks fantastic! Nice work.. 8)

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Awesome result!
Just a question about the colour: is the top really black on the original, or did they put an anti-slip dark grey cover?

BTW, I've sent you a pm.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 pm

granch wrote:Awesome result!
Just a question about the colour: is the top really black on the original, or did they put an anti-slip dark grey cover?
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

From the pics I can see it looks like a black anti-slip, but something I've noticed is that not everyone looks alike.

YT

Post by YT » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm

If you do those for $35, put me down for one. Any chance of some pictures of it with a plane? I want to make sure it will fit on my shelf. Great work!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 am

She goes out about 5" past the nose. Sorry for the sad looking bird. They tend to go thru a decontruction phase when I'm working on projects. Less things to break off. I've decided to cast the chalks in yellow to allow for movement. I painted mine and that's as far as they move. I am waiting for the humidity to go down some. I've read that will play with the resin setting up. Not sure what happens. Better to be safe than sorry. I can't afford to waste anything.

YT, Hope this helps.

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am

That looks great, and it really adds to the scale of the Tomcat with something near it, now it really looks to be the big fighter we all know it is.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Awesome!!!
Does the fork/grip work with the Hornet?

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

I've three kits ready to ship $35 + shipping. PM me if your interested. Paypal or Money Order.

YT

Post by YT » Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Payment sent! :)
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 pm

The asking price is always a quander.

Doing full builds is as well.

I think that you have done a great job and $35 for the kit is reasonable.

Normally I double the price of the kit to do a full build. I wish I would have done that on my latest never ending project. :?

I have spent THOUSANDS on my latest project , but I do see he light at the end of the tunnel .

I've been keeping track of what I have spent so far on this project and it's close to $400. The trick is finding the balance between selling enough at a price I can make my money back quick, but not too high that guys won't buy. It's a fine line.

I've been looking on Ebay and the 1/32 Verlinden tractors kits sell for $25 and those are mass produced. I feel that $35 + SH is not an unreasonable price for a kit. Full build I would feel comfortable at $70 + SH. Looking for feedback in this area.[/quote]
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am

WOW! I like it. Great work.

YT

Post by YT » Wed May 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I received my kit today and wanted to share a few thoughts. I have bought numerous resin "garage" kits over the years and this is one of the most impressive I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The kit was extremely well packaged and professionally shipped. The directions and decals look top notch. The casting and parts are very clean and crisp. I am simply blown away at the value being presented here, I have paid twice this for half of what you are getting. I am not sure how Pizzaguy is offering such a deal, but if you are even considering a kit, you should jump on it. Well done!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 am

Marc, Thank You.

I try to provide the best items I can. I get that from working in the food industry for the past 15 years. If my stuff is not up to snuff, then I listen to those comments and try to make them better. I've been told "You can't improve if you think you know everything."

I look forward to your build pics.

Disclaimer: Marc is not a paid spokesman for my products. :lol: